Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FAMILIES are hurting more now than at the height of the global financial crisis

FAMILIES are hurting more now than at the height of the global financial crisis

Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: FAMILIES are hurting more now than at the height of the global financial crisis

Are there any of you not in huge debt, and living happily in Oz?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FAMILIES are hurting more now than at the height of the global financial crisis

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
If it's any consolation, we're skint too. I never thought I'd be counting the pennies to see if I can afford a pint or not at the age of 42.
well i have decided to go treat myself to a bottle of wine tonight (got week off work) Clean skins $6 a bottle. will last 3 nights if im good. Reckon i deserve it hey
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Me!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xzibit
Can you do huge debt and happiness ?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. No credit card debt - maybe several hundred bucks.

Mortgage ~150k.

To be honest, we haven't had any financial crises since we arrived. We went through a small 'run out of money at the end of the month' patch about 3 years ago when we employed a garden help. Go figure.

The last few years have seen us well in credit at the end of the month and we've actually started to even throw it around a bit and overpay the mortgage - we're about 6 months ahead. New TV, and a new ironing board cover on order..infact we could save about $2500 a month on standard scales.

My wife and the kids have gone overseas every other year.

But I do run a very cool 300 dollar car and got a 35k redundancy package last year.

If my wife ever returns to work we could be quite comfortable.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 13th 2010 at 11:24 am.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: FAMILIES are hurting more now than at the height of the global financial crisis

Yes. We have a credit card ($5,000 limit; we owe about $3,000), a reasonable house and a mortgage of $158,000. No personal loans; no car loans; no other debts. We overpay the mortgage by $100 a fortnight.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes. No credit card debt - maybe several hundred bucks.

Mortgage ~150k.

To be honest, we haven't had any financial crises since we arrived. We went through a small 'run out of money at the end of the month' patch about 3 years ago when we employed a garden help. Go figure.

The last few years have seen us well in credit at the end of the month and we've actually started to even throw it around a bit and overpay the mortgage - we're about 6 months ahead. New TV, and a new ironing board cover on order..infact we could save about $2500 a month on standard scales.

My wife and the kids have gone overseas every other year.

But I do run a very cool 300 dollar car and got a 35k redundancy package last year.

If my wife ever returns to work we could be quite comfortable.
what car does $300 buy?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Been skint since we moved here nearly 2 years ago, but things are getting slightly better, as we now have money nearly 7 days a week, but life goes on and can only get better
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Me, too.

No mortgage, no credit card debt (no debt at all in fact), decently paid job (x2), bit of rental income. No complaints at all.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
what car does $300 buy?
Have I not mentioned this a hundred times?

A 23 year old Saab 900i bought off Ebay. Nice car to drive, too. A little rust on the offside door. Looks great. My mechanic loves it and was grinning from ear to ear when he checked it out - all it needed was a set of tyres and a service.

It does need a new fuel pump but you know me - not one to fuss...
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
well i have decided to go treat myself to a bottle of wine tonight (got week off work) Clean skins $6 a bottle. will last 3 nights if im good. Reckon i deserve it hey
I did the same the other night - but it cost me $10 (but was excellent) but it only lasted me one night!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:02 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived with 60k credit card debt, 5 years later have paid it off and am 35k ahead on home loan(s) ... spent 30k on car .. not earning mega bucks but have managed money/expectations sensibly.

Dual full/part time income yes but it is an attitude thing.

Damn straight we are happy, everyone is healthy, bills are paid, food is on table, life could be worse ...

Happy is relative and what you make it.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Arrived with 60k credit card debt, 5 years later have paid it off and am 35k ahead on home loan(s) ... spent 30k on car .. not earning mega bucks but have managed money/expectations sensibly.

Dual full/part time income yes but it is an attitude thing.

Damn straight we are happy, everyone is healthy, bills are paid, food is on table, life could be worse ...

You know what, for many people with a few hundred bucks per month to allocate to a credit card debt, 60k is almost insurmountable. Even 3k would take all year to pay off. That you have done that and got ahead on the home loan makes you my star money manager ...for now...until someone else pipes up.

Any other success stories, or are we all sitting in parlours wearing fingerless
gloves and playing cards by candlelight?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:39 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You know what, for many people with a few hundred bucks per month to allocate to a credit card debt, 60k is almost insurmountable. Even 3k would take all year to pay off. That you have done that and got ahead on the home loan makes you my star money manager ...for now...until someone else pipes up.

Any other success stories, or are we all sitting in parlours wearing fingerless
gloves and playing cards by candlelight?
Duty of disclosure time ... in the year I paid off the 60k we were living with the MIL and my whole salary went towards paying it off ... it did however reduce to zero in time.

Not miraculous but needs the right relationship/circumstance to make it work.

Suffice to say I am more Financially Savvy these days.

Still happy though, I was 5 years ago and am now ..
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DeadVim
That says it all

Suffice to say, I too am happy here...

I do feel guilty for pushing up the credit card debt statistics, as I tend to have about $5,000 on the card at the end of each money, so it gets added into the official figures, but we do pay it off in full with the equivalent money in the savings account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.