Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Falling pregnant during application?

Falling pregnant during application?

Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:27 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Falling pregnant during application?

Hi all,
does anyone know what happens to your visa application if you become pregnant after you've sent off the paperwork?

Anyone been in the same situation?

Thanks
Markeh
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Falling pregnant during application?

Originally posted by markeh
Hi all,
does anyone know what happens to your visa application if you become pregnant after you've sent off the paperwork?

Anyone been in the same situation?

Thanks
Markeh
congratulations (? presumably?)
When my husband and i finally decided to emigrate last year, little did we know that i was actually pregnant. we are now the proud parents of a lovely eleven week old boy and have even more of an incentive to move in order to give him a better life. We are using an agent and all we had to do was send the birth certificate in order for him to be added to our application.
Good luck with your application
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:06 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
congratulations (? presumably?)
When my husband and i finally decided to emigrate last year, little did we know that i was actually pregnant. we are now the proud parents of a lovely eleven week old boy and have even more of an incentive to move in order to give him a better life. We are using an agent and all we had to do was send the birth certificate in order for him to be added to our application.
Good luck with your application
Hi Sunny_Samantha

I was well happy when my wife told me, I wasn't in the UK at the time but had a big smile on my face. It will be our first one and I am so happy.

So did your application go on hold untill you had the baby?
Or can the visa be issued and then the baby be added?

Thanks for replying
Markeh
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunny_Samantha

I was well happy when my wife told me, I wasn't in the UK at the time but had a big smile on my face. It will be our first one and I am so happy.

So did your application go on hold untill you had the baby?

Thanks for replying
Markeh
Congratulations!

Presumably you know about the medical? If you haven't had it yet, it consists of an Xray which they don't advise pregnant women to have, so you'd probably have to wait until the bubs was born, then have it. I don't see why this should cause further probs (except the delay until babes is born, then go for medical) as this must happen fairly often, plus they're assessing you and your wife for suitability, not your children. Have you tried e-mailing your case officer? I'm sure they'd be fine about it - it's not like you'd be hassling them.
Best wishes
Larissa
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:27 am
Happy Daddy

Hi Larissa,
I know abouit the medicals, we front end loaded our applications with the medicals and police records, so they have those.
It's now 3 months after we applied & my wife fell pregnant
last month
I was just wondering if the process would go on hold because the baby can't have a passsport untill he / she is born and as such it can't get a visa untill then.
I'm sure this has happened to others, just after some advice from someone who has been through it.

Thanks
Markeh
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:10 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Once the visa has been issued, you cannot add anyone into your application.

If you know you are pregnant, you could put your medicals on hold until after the pregnancy. Once the baby is born, the processing of the application may be resumed and the baby inserted as a dependent in your application.

Peter
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Markeh

You have a couple of options, as you have already submitted your medicals you could go to oz once you get the visa and have the baby there, as pr visa holders you will be entitled to medicare and the baby will be australian (british by decent so dual nationality) so you dont have to apply for a visa for the baby.

Your second option is to defer your application, firstly as you have already had your meds done and they are only valid for a year then it will most likely mean you having to fork out for them again then yo have to have a medical done for the baby too.

Worst case scenario and the one we thought the most important if the baby is born with a medical condition of some sort it may result in your application being denied, we decided we couldnt take that chance and will be heading for perth when i am 28 weeks pregnant and our own aussie will be born in febraury (all being well).

Lynn
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

pclip is an unknown quantity at this point

partner found out half way through process that she was pregnant. informed my case officer straight away by e-mail and letter and asked if application could be put on hold, as baby requires visa and cannot be added after.
No problem. As soon as baby born (lovely little girl) passport applied for and received (what a laugh trying to get photo for that)!! Certified copy of passport and birth certificate sent to DIMA as soon as possible.
We then had medicals done after infants six week check up (extra medical form sent by DIMA once we told them about pregnancy).

Received visas 2 months later. OZ bound April 04.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:57 pm
Happy Daddy

Originally posted by lynnj
Markeh

You have a couple of options, as you have already submitted your medicals you could go to oz once you get the visa and have the baby there, as pr visa holders you will be entitled to medicare and the baby will be australian (british by decent so dual nationality) so you dont have to apply for a visa for the baby.

Your second option is to defer your application, firstly as you have already had your meds done and they are only valid for a year then it will most likely mean you having to fork out for them again then yo have to have a medical done for the baby too.

Worst case scenario and the one we thought the most important if the baby is born with a medical condition of some sort it may result in your application being denied, we decided we couldnt take that chance and will be heading for perth when i am 28 weeks pregnant and our own aussie will be born in febraury (all being well).

Lynn
Hi lynn,
this is something we had never considered
We had a chat about it (my wife told me what we could do) and as long as the visa is issued soon enough then we could do this. My wife had planned on giving birth in England, but there is nothing stopping us having our baby in Australia, when we validate the Visa.

My wife pointed out how funny our family would be, se's Ukranian, I'm English and the baby would be Australian

It will make the whole visa process a lot easier this way.

Thanks Lynn
Markeh
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:07 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default same situation

Hi Markeh,

Even though you have had a lot of advice I thought I would write and let you know you are not alone. We are in exactly the same situation. Found out my wife was pg after submitting medicals etc. You should inform your case officer asap. Once we did they contacted us asking for docs we had already sent.

Once the visa is granted it cannot be re-opened to add the little one. We have just heard today that they will be granting our visa 'in the next few days' which will give us 12 weeks to get to Oz. Airlines will only insure you up to 28weeks gestation but will carry you up to 32 weeks. But, you probably want to have time to sort out hospital etc.

Now all we are wondering is whether all hospital fees etc will be covered by medicare....

oh yes, if the baby is born there he/she will automatically be aussie citizen.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default hi

with us we found out i was pregnant just after we had made the decision to emigrate. by the time we got all the paperwork together for our skills application i must have been about four months pregnant and by the time the actual visa application went in i was just two weeks short of giving birth so the timing has worked out brilliantly for us. we have an agent and we have kept him onformed throughout...all we had to do was send hima certified copy of the birth certificate which he then forwarded on for us. haven't needed to send a passport yet. by teh way taking a passport photo of a baby is great fun!!!!!! he is normally a smiley baby but would he smile for the photo...no chance!!! also getting eyes open, no hands in the way and facing you is fun too!!!!!
anyway, he's our first too and we wouldn't be without him. the timing for us is perfect as by the time our visa comes through (fingers crossed) and it is time for us to emigrate he should be roughly a year old so no scary decisions to be made about safety of flying with a very tiny baby or when pregnant
susan
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

right preggie peeps some travel info to make life easier for you, airlines all have different rules and these are as follows

malaysia airlines will carry uo to 32 weeks but need medical clearence from as soon as you know you are pregnant
british airways need a med line after 28 weeks
qantas need a med line after 32 and will carry up to 35, this can be a problem as qf an ba code share some flights so you may have a qf ticket and find you are on a ba flight
and the best of all singapore airlines, will carry up to 35 weeks no med line required, but, you cannot leave stopover in singapore as you need a visa if over 24 weeks but you can change planes.

Insurance, now this was tricky but, nmost companies will insure you up to 26 weeeks, some up to 28 weeks and this weeks winner with cover up untill 8 weeks before edd is thomas cook, ok damned expensive at £119 for a family of 4 for a 3 day policy but better than hubby having to take 3 days off work so we can get there before the clock strikes 28 weeks.

All aspects of child birth are aparantly covered by medicare and all you have to pay for is the usual gap payment on docs appointments for ante natal checks and also apparantly some of the babys treatment (injections of some sort i think) also have to be paid for.

This is not gospel only what i've found out by spending hours reaearching, so good luck and whoever is first let everyone else know.

we fly sq 29th nov and bubs is due feb 20th

Lynn
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Leonella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem arised again!!!!

Hello there averyone!!!

We have been granded visa( yellow enveloppe have arrived today in the morning)

I am still pregnant. 35 weeks now.

We haven't told about pregnancy yet( big trouble)

As we thought we will be in time to get there before 36 weeks and give birth in AU. Now time is very limited. Even if visa will be stamped into our passeports this week I am unfit to fly to AU to give birth over there. As my blood pressure palying up. And I can give birth any time.

What shall we do?

I am thinking that we can stamp visa than give birth in UK then go to AU without baby and validate visa and after going back apply for baby as dependant. Is it possible?

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

firstly congrats on getting your visa.

i think you should talk either to adelaide or an agent to get the best advice, had you told them thet could have added bub on to your application, i'm not sure if they can do that now as you dont actually have the visa stamped in your passport, i'm also not sure if they can add bub on before you validate but i would have thought so.

do you really think you will want to leave your baby for as long as it would take to make a validation trip?

anyway check out your options with someone in the know as soon as you can, good luck with the birth, i hope its as quick as mine was, 1hr 20 mins.

lynn
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Leonella & Markeh on getting the visa and good luck with the birth - hope all goes smoothly.

I'm afraid I can't see a way out of the visa problem though - I assume you will have to apply for a seperate dependents visa for the baba

Maybe someone else has an idea ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.