fair dinkum

Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:12 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fair dinkum

What is your fav aussie slang word.

Is it werid because australians preannounce the word as 'fair income'

oh by the way, my understand of fair dinkum is true, 100%, no bull shit.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I spent an afternoon at a motor racing circuit in Queensland last year with a guy who finished EVERY sentence with "Fair dinkum" - I'd never head it said "live"by an Aussie before, and there I was, faced with overkill!
Bit like some people over here who finish everything with "know what I mean"........

Can't think of a particular word off hand, but there are a few sayings which leave people at work in the UK looking like 'stunned mullets'

"mates rates"
"mad as a cut snake"
"flat out like a lizard drinking"
"got a kangaroo loose in the top paddock" &
"miserable as a shag on a rock" (for the non bird watchers amongst us, a shag is a sea-bird!)

What do other people find themselves using?
Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:51 pm
Badge

I heard a fair few people say FAAAIR DIIInkum - long first syllables - not with the "income" though. I came back from the country using it occasionally myself and in surburban Sydney much to the visible astonishment of Australians when I used it enthusiastically without a thought!

you got me going Polly - here's my favs:

"she could suck the chrome off a bumper bar"
"she didn't get lips like that from sucking lemons"
"i wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire!"
"ridgy didge" - a kind of sister word to Fair Dinkum.

My employer askled me if my truck driver's license was "ridgy didge" to which I replied with a grin "Fair Dinkum".

on bad driving:
"couldn't drive a tack up a bull's arse with a frying pan"

on someone saying "if only":

"if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle!"

"you wouldn't be dead for quids"
"she bangs like a dunny door in a gale"

the australian author Barrat has some great - probably his own - expressions in his books.

There's always

"That'll be *****ING right!"

(said in a particular "could have told you" way tone of inevitability)

Last edited by badgersmount; Jun 30th 2003 at 10:16 pm.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:52 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

My favorite is from my wifes best friend. Whenever you state somthing that she strongly agrees with, you get the response "Bloody oath mate". I love it

Favorite one the wife uses, is probably "no way!!" (helps if u imagine it in an aus accent ).
Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:58 pm
Badge

my cousins mate would always say

"Stupid bloody Sheila" ( to anything breaking or not working - inanimate or not). Followed by "bloody oath!".

My girlfriend would always say "It's a SHOOOCCCKer!!"
"I had a SCHOOCKer!".

Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:58 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, couple of those sound familiar, badgers,

"She'll be right" is one I use now without even thinking about it, and then theres "don't come the raw prawn with me";

As for individual words - "boofhead", "chook", "dork", and I remember baffling a bloke at work by telling him not to get his
bits of his cut-lunch in his face-fungus!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:01 pm
Home and Happy

P S I'd forgotten about "bloody oath" - a friend in Tassie uses it all the time, then looks it me and says "oops, pardon my language" ! Can tell he doesn't know me too well!!!

And no-one has mentioned the obvious yet - thongs!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:08 pm
Badge

and there's "Root".

I was itching to try this one out my first days in Sydney. I had great mileage from telling my girlfriend's father I was looking forward to having a "good root around in Sydney the next day" and keeping an innocent expression..

Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:14 pm
Badge

I'm on a roll now:

I also like the way they take a UK London expression and "improve" on it..

eg.. "couldn't organise a shag in a brothel" supercedes "piss-up in a brewery". I use that one at work the other day.

Also since I got back I love being unPC in the office - I couldn't give a flyin ***** - its one of the things I love doing and seeing the looks on colleagues / client's faces - and what's more they love it!!
(once they get over the shock!!)

Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:18 pm
Home and Happy

I've always had real problems whenever I come back from Oz, cos I get so un-pc when I'm over there, and then I walk back into an extremely pc environment, and have to think about everything before I say it! And I burst out laughing at the oddest things - like the sour old prune at the next desk talking today about the long root she had in the garden..........
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
and there's "Root".

I was itching to try this one out my first days in Sydney. I had great mileage from telling my girlfriend's father I was looking forward to having a "good root around in Sydney the next day" and keeping an innocent expression..

Glad you pointed this one out Bagers as I frequently 'have a root around' wherever. Obviously one to strike off the vocab.

Not quite a slang word but I was slightly offended on casting off a jetty in Perth with my wife's cousin (South African, long time Perth resident) to hear him explain to another boat's crew that I was his 'deeek heand'. Biggest laugh was when I asked him to explain......His Ozzy girlfriend's favourite expression is 'gooooodo'
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:01 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

a boss in australia came up with a saying 'shit box', not sure if this is aussie or not.

I'll have to make a note of the above and use them
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:26 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rapitts
a boss in australia came up with a saying 'shit box',
That's what I call my car...a typical use may be...

"Are you still driving that Ford shitbox?"
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fair dinkum

"I'm as dry as a leather tit"
Old Jul 1st 2003, 3:53 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: fair dinkum

Go to the Source

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.