Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fact or Fiction ?

Fact or Fiction ?

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Red face Fact or Fiction ?

Just thought I'd share a conversation from work yesterday, during which I had several people on hysterics ! We were on the subject of things parents tell their children, such as McDonald's smells & makes you big & fat - bad parenting skills, but it stops mine from wanting to go there, anyway, my boss said something about the purple dye they put in swimming pools, to stop people having a wee in them, & I said they did it in the UK, but everyone killed themselves laughing, as they said it's just something grown-ups say to kids so they won't do it.
Now, I've always thought that they Actually did this, never occurred to me, even at 39, that it was made-up !
Please does someone know if it is an Urban Myth ? If it is, I can't believe it's took my 39 years to find out
And yes, I already know about Santa Clause & The Tooth Fairy
Does anyone else have "little white lies" for their kids?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:25 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fact or Fiction ?

The home ice cream delivery van (which sells tubs of ice cream rather than a cone) rings a bell to let you know that it is nearby (rather than playing Greensleves).

In my neighbourhood, the parents tell their kids that the ringing of the bell means they have run out of ice cream.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:29 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woogle
my boss said something about the purple dye they put in swimming pools, to stop people having a wee in them, & I said they did it in the UK, but everyone killed themselves laughing, as they said it's just something grown-ups say to kids so they won't do it.
Now, I've always thought that they Actually did this, never occurred to me, even at 39, that it was made-up !
They do actually do it in the UK. At my son's school, a kid peed during swimming and a little trail of dye showed up behind him. Everybody was ordered out and the pool was drained and refilled. No swimming for the kids that week.

Jane
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:30 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

my boss said something about the purple dye they put in swimming pools, to stop people having a wee in them, & I said they did it in the UK, but everyone killed themselves laughing, as they said it's just something grown-ups say to kids so they won't do it.

Snopes claims it to be myth:

http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.htm
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd share a conversation from work yesterday, during which I had several people on hysterics ! We were on the subject of things parents tell their children, such as McDonald's smells & makes you big & fat - bad parenting skills, but it stops mine from wanting to go there, anyway, my boss said something about the purple dye they put in swimming pools, to stop people having a wee in them, & I said they did it in the UK, but everyone killed themselves laughing, as they said it's just something grown-ups say to kids so they won't do it.
Please does someone know if it is an Urban Myth ? If it is, I can't believe it's took my 39 years to find out
http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.htm

P.S. I need to tell you something about Father Christmas. May come as a bit of a shock...
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Everybody was ordered out and the pool was drained and refilled.
Why would you drain a pool because someone pissed in it? That's what the chlorine is for. Even if someone has a runny shit in the pool you wouldn't drain it out, unless it was a paddling pool.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:51 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
The home ice cream delivery van (which sells tubs of ice cream rather than a cone) rings a bell to let you know that it is nearby (rather than playing Greensleves).

In my neighbourhood, the parents tell their kids that the ringing of the bell means they have run out of ice cream.
I told my kids it was the mobile dentiost and for years they ran when they heard the siren.

Original poster - absolute rubbish. No such thing. Besides, urine is 95% water and should be sterile in normal people so it is harmless anyway. Safe enough to drink. Aka Fosters! There are chemicals around that would turn purple etc with urine to react with urea, for instance, but the pool would have to be moreorless 100% of such chemical and you would probably disolve if you swam in it.

Andrew
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:55 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a myth.

But I hadn't heard about Santa Claus & The Tooth Fairy. Are they dating or something?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:26 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
Why would you drain a pool because someone pissed in it? That's what the chlorine is for. Even if someone has a runny shit in the pool you wouldn't drain it out, unless it was a paddling pool.
Are you speaking from experience?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. The only time I've ever heard of a pool being drained was at the UNSW a few years ago after they found a dead body in the pool in the morning.

My kids were mightlily pissed-off - they'd have preferred them to just fish it out and let them swim on.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:45 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Runny poo
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:50 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by nickyc
Totally agree. The only time I've ever heard of a pool being drained was at the UNSW a few years ago after they found a dead body in the pool in the morning.
I don't anyone who has drained their pool after they have left it untreated over winter. It is then green, full of Algae, stinks and would probably kill. Just needs a chlorine shock.

In summer, after kids have been round, it is full of various types of wee and has an oil slick of sunscreen on top. Never stopped me swimming in it
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Runny poo
There are protocols for dealing with shit in a pool. Once you've looked after a pool for a few years and have small kids you get to learn all about them.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr

I always used to say that to the girls when they were little - they believed it because "I know everything"

Piddle in the pool dye is an urban myth as is the tooth fairy. Father Christmas on the other hand - well you can't say he doesn't exist just in case...........
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:17 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I always used to say that to the girls when they were little - they believed it because "I know everything"
now they don't believe a word u say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.