Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

f.a.o Tassiebound

f.a.o Tassiebound

Old May 24th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Question f.a.o Tassiebound

Hi,

You kindly replied to my message last night regarding the Skills Matching Visa (134).

Do you know how it works ? If I was offered a job would I have to stay with that company for a fixed period ? Also, after how long in Aus would I be eligible for permanent residence ?

I can't seem to find this on any of the websites.

John.
Old May 27th 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

tassiebound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: f.a.o Tassiebound

Originally Posted by elmtree
Hi,

You kindly replied to my message last night regarding the Skills Matching Visa (134).

Do you know how it works ? If I was offered a job would I have to stay with that company for a fixed period ? Also, after how long in Aus would I be eligible for permanent residence ?

I can't seem to find this on any of the websites.

John.
Hello There.

Basically 134 is non-points tested, state sponsored visa - you cannot be sponsored by an employer for this visa, see here http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...mination_2.htm

It is a PR visa i.e you are a resident from day 1 - you still have to meet the general criteria for emigration (age, health etc etc) but it does seem a much simpler route for PR.

The visa restricts you to working in the same state for 2 years.

For us it has/will work like this:

1) Verify skills
2) Send off main appn form (47sk)
3) Notify state of case ref number
4) State notifies DIMA they wish to sponsor you
5) Pay for visa when asked (not upfront like other visas)
6) Send off meds and police checks
7) Visa granted

Work your way through this page for all other finer detail guff:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski.../valid_134.htm

The key thing I think for most visas is getting your skills assessed asap from your professional body.

HTH
Old May 27th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: f.a.o Tassiebound

Many thanks for that. I've just had a good read-up and that was most useful.

Thanks again.

John.