Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eye Tests and Spectacles in Australia

Eye Tests and Spectacles in Australia

Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye Tests and Spectacles in Australia

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
The Medicare rules have changed: from 1 Jan 2015, under 65 get a full comprehensive exam every three years, over 65 is now annually.
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cor...e-examinations

Anybody with a progressive eye disorder is entitled to more frequent testing; if you return to an optometrist with new signs/symptoms you get a comprehensive test as necessary, and if you just want your prescription checked before you buy new specs Medicare will pay for that too.
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the change so it's good to know
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Anybody with a progressive eye disorder is entitled to more frequent testing
I have diabetes and was told to rock up when I think I need to. Last exam was at Specsavers and when they heard the magic word 'diabetes' I was given the full works, although I bought my specs from Zenni to save a lot of money on progressives. Very impressed with Specsavers as they have top-notch kit to match their professional opticians.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Aussielover is an unknown quantity at this point

So, an update: I bit the bullet and went into Specsavers here in Edinburgh today and bought two pairs of sunglasses - £89 for both on their 'buy one get one free offer'. Of course they ended up costing me £158 by the time I reached the till, as is usually the case with Supersavers, but at least I have two pairs to begin my life in Adelaide with.

Service was surprisingly good, and I pick them up next week.... Thanks to all who've added to my knowledge here.