Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extra luggage - BEWARE

Extra luggage - BEWARE

Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default Extra luggage - BEWARE

I booked up my flights with emirates last month to brisbane. We booked the flights as a return as we are coming back in June for 2 weeks to a wedding.
I was told if you have a permanent visa you can get the extra baggage - this was wrong - as I have booked a return flight we are only allowed standard!
So this means that we can only bring over 54kg between us
I will always get my facts right from now on!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Extra luggage - BEWARE

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
I booked up my flights with emirates last month to brisbane. We booked the flights as a return as we are coming back in June for 2 weeks to a wedding.
I was told if you have a permanent visa you can get the extra baggage - this was wrong - as I have booked a return flight we are only allowed standard!
so if we had our permanent visa and booked with emirates one way would we get extra baggage allowance...just i could really do with taking some of my tools over instead of having to wait for them in a container.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trevamather
so if we had our permanent visa and booked with emirates one way would we get extra baggage allowance...just i could really do with taking some of my tools over instead of having to wait for them in a container.
To get extra luggage allowance you have to be going one way and not have previously validated your visa. You also need to contact the airline if you book through agents etc to claim it.
Hope this helps
sal
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Do they ask to actually see your visa???
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

I beleive they do.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trevamather
If you call the local office in london ( on their website) they will sort for you. They seemed more than happy to do it for me untill they realised i had a return flight!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Extra luggage - BEWARE

thanks for the info everyone

Ill give them a ring to see what they say and reply on here to let everyone know
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

And you mustn't have any stop overs. We will be stopping in Dubai and Singapore on our one way tickets and won't be eligble for the extra luggage!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Originally Posted by kezzabird
And you mustn't have any stop overs. We will be stopping in Dubai and Singapore on our one way tickets and won't be eligble for the extra luggage!
We're flying with Singapore Airlines one-way with a stopover in Singapore and they've given us the extra luggage allowance - 40kg each. It really seems to depend on the airline.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Sinapore Airlines seem to be one of the few airlines left who do this. We are flying with them on Wednesday 1 August and they have assured us that because this is the first time we are flying, ie, validating our visa and that we are on a PR visa that we can have 40kg each. There are four of us but I don't honestly think that we will have 160kg between us BUT you never know - packing will commence in the morning!!

Tracy
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:23 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MurphFam
Sinapore Airlines seem to be one of the few airlines left who do this. We are flying with them on Wednesday 1 August and they have assured us that because this is the first time we are flying, ie, validating our visa and that we are on a PR visa that we can have 40kg each. There are four of us but I don't honestly think that we will have 160kg between us BUT you never know - packing will commence in the morning!!

Tracy

If you have confirmation in writing from them, take a copy with you when you checking in to be safe. They are normally OK, but you never know.

We have just recently arrived via Qantas, and the allowance is 23kg pp, and one of our bags was 31kg (we weighed then all, and this one must have slipped through) only one bag was below 23kg, but they didnt say a word. Admittedly we started our journey from Amsterdam, but we were fairly overweight (baggage as well ) and got away with it.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The standard position has always been - permanent visa and a one-way flight - because those two together are considered to be proof of migration. You are usually expected to provide a copy of your visa in advance.

Some airlines including Qantas, will do extra baggage on a special "migrant fare" which is usually more expensive than the normal one.
Singapore and Emirats are generally the only airlines now which do a regular grant of extra baggage if you meet the cnditions above.
Other airlines used to but have now stopped - financial pressure to make good use of their space, plus an increasednumber ofpeople migrating, and an increased number of people aware of the free extra baggage deal, are part of the reason why most don't do it now.

Some airlines will let you board with considerably over your allowance, but don't rely on it - its down to the discretion of the check-in staff, how full the plane is, what they had for breakfast (!) and how nicely you ask them!

Cheapest last minute way to send the excess is from Excess Baggage Co at the main UK airports - send the stuff by air with them on the day you fly and it usually arrives within a couple of days of your own flight.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Another cheap way (free way) to get the extra luggage allowance is to fly via the USA and get 46kg each, no matter what visa, return or one-way, how many stopovers.

Still can't work out why more people don't take this option.

Buzzy
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
We also made this mistake. Learnt the hard way as usual.

But on our way back we begged them for more Kg's and got abit extra through trying
Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Another cheap way (free way) to get the extra luggage allowance is to fly via the USA and get 46kg each, no matter what visa, return or one-way, how many stopovers.

Still can't work out why more people don't take this option.

Buzzy
Did think of that but they only go to Sydney and I need too get to Brisbane. I looked into it but it wouldn't have worked due to the baggage restrictions on Jetstar, virgin blue etc and my Dad didnt fAncy driving down to pick us up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.