Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extra Handling Charges - Shipping

Wikiposts

Extra Handling Charges - Shipping

Old May 23rd 2004, 8:12 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yea we had to pay it in nz too but the MAF inspector did come out to look at some of our stuff as we had it delivered but was also a bit surprised that they asked for it in advance
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is a standard AQIS (quarantine) fee (I think its about $170), to which they add any extra for stuff that has been fumigated or destroyed. That has to be paid this end, and can't be included in the initial bill because the UK company doesn't know what AQIS will want to look at.

As for Customs fees - some companies include them in the UK bill, some don't. That bit is down to reading the small print.
Old May 23rd 2004, 10:49 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bella
You only have to pay quarantine charges if customs open up any of your boxes & inspect them or have to clean anything. If customs don't inspect you are not expected to pay becasue this is included in the initial quote. I honestly think this is a racket - don't put up with it!
AQIS inspect every shipment, it,s just that some people ,don,t do the right thing , and play by the rules, ie; clean things , so they get taken to the cleaners .................... MM
Old May 23rd 2004, 11:00 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vicky88
It's not misleading in the sense that they clearly state you are responsible for customs/quarantine charges. Actually I have to change what I said previously, because last time we moved to the US we had to pay customs charges because they decided to inspect our shipment because the morons had offloaded it in Panama so they went through looking for drugs. I would be interested to find out if they actually do pay a charge to customs or if it is collected from every client and then they just pay when they are asked to.

Actually I just looked at my paperwork for when we used Allied to go from the UK to US and there is an entire page devoted to what is not covered in their quotation and they specify quarantine examination costs. They state there are specific regulations for Australia and to contact them for clarification. The problem is most of us don't bother reading the paperwork because we assume we have nothing to be worried about with regards to customs/quarantine.
Emma,

The PSS small print excludes quarantine costs. I know this because we got stung having to pay for the container to be cleaned this end after it got dirty on the wharf. This was requested by quarantine and so counted as a quarantine expense.

Another thing, PSS used Chess this end in Brisbane and they were hopeless, damaging a lot of our stuff through negligence. I was assured by PSS that they didn't usually use Chess and wouldn't be using them again. I think, though, that Chess are actually different companies in each state, banding together under one brand name. Might be worth checking though.

Jane
Old May 23rd 2004, 11:56 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Emma,

The PSS small print excludes quarantine costs. I know this because we got stung having to pay for the container to be cleaned this end after it got dirty on the wharf. This was requested by quarantine and so counted as a quarantine expense.

Another thing, PSS used Chess this end in Brisbane and they were hopeless, damaging a lot of our stuff through negligence. I was assured by PSS that they didn't usually use Chess and wouldn't be using them again. I think, though, that Chess are actually different companies in each state, banding together under one brand name. Might be worth checking though.

Jane
I think we spoke about this earlier jane, and you will be glad [or not ]to know that PSS still use Chess in Adelaide. What a lot of People don,t know is that your U,K Removalist will tender out the job , to who ever can do the job the cheapest , thus maximising their profits ,we do the same back to the UK.And what makes me laugh is all these people who use CROWN saying that they are the same company in OZ, they are our sister company ,and i know they tender out their work as we do some of it. and their depot is 500mtrs from ours.............. MM