Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extra Handling Charges - Shipping

Wikiposts

Extra Handling Charges - Shipping

Old May 23rd 2004, 1:39 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extra Handling Charges - Shipping

Hiya everyone,

Well, we've been here almost 8months now and all is going well. When we were back at Easter to pick up our PR we arranged to ship our stuff over with PSS who came and picked it up just before we flew back.

We have since had a letter confirming it has been sent and should be ion Melbourne by 31st May (record shipping so won't hold my breath!) Anyway, today we had a letter from Chess in this country who I assume must be PSS' partners this side. They would like a couple of hundred dollars for "Clearing, Customs and Handling Charges" Now I find this rather strange, let alone downright bloody cheeky as PSS stated the following when we arranged to use them -

Would you like a door to door quote for both freights? Door to Door
>includes
>customs and handling I can quote you within 30 miles of Melbourne.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old May 23rd 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is normal as we were charged $450 for customs clearance fees which we thought was a bit of cheek as it is based on time taken and as they did not know how much time it would take how could they determine the charge. Don't think you will have any luck fighting it so just pay it and move on.
Old May 23rd 2004, 1:47 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vicky88
I think this is normal as we were charged $450 for customs clearance fees which we thought was a bit of cheek as it is based on time taken and as they did not know how much time it would take how could they determine the charge. Don't think you will have any luck fighting it so just pay it and move on.

Hi Vicky,

I am sure we will end up being stung for it but doesn't it strike you as slightly sneaky or, what's that word.... illegal to tell you a quote includes DOOR TO DOOR costs and then heap some more on the other end? Not sure they would get away with it in the UK so not completely willing to grab my cheque book and suffer in silence.....
Old May 23rd 2004, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Initially we had the same attitude as you, but you know you can fight it all you want but the bottom line is they have your goods and until you pay you aren't going to get them. Australia is the only country where this has happened to us and seems the same across all firms.

I was pissed off when I first spoke with them, then realised I could stress out all I want and burst a blood vessel but there was no hope of winning. Decided just to go with the flow and accept it as one of those things, as I see it as being an unwinnable situation. If you read your paperwork carefully you will find that your removalists would have stated you are responsible for any customs/quarantine charges and that's where they will get you.

It's annoying having to pony up the extra bucks when it is likely that your things will never even be checked by customs, but it would not be easy for you to prove.
Old May 23rd 2004, 4:46 pm
Homeward Bound

Initially we had the same attitude as you, but you know you can fight it all you want but the bottom line is they have your goods and until you pay you aren't going to get them. Australia is the only country where this has happened to us and seems the same across all firms.

I was pissed off when I first spoke with them, then realised I could stress out all I want and burst a blood vessel but there was no hope of winning. Decided just to go with the flow and accept it as one of those things, as I see it as being an unwinnable situation. If you read your paperwork carefully you will find that your removalists would have stated you are responsible for any customs/quarantine charges and that's where they will get you.

It's annoying having to pony up the extra bucks when it is likely that your things will never even be checked by customs, but it would not be easy for you to prove.

Nope, sorry, still not willing to lie down and be walked over even if I will be banging my head against the wall. (I'm getting rather used to this over here anyway and do find I get somewhere eventually!)
PSS and other such companies should not be able to get away with this. The quote I have accepted and paid for is misleading and constitutes totally unacceptable practice. I will at least be telling them as much. I have no intention of stressing over this but neither will I accept it without question or hesitation!
Old May 23rd 2004, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi,

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

I had a very similar situation with a company called NUSS REMOVALS in Melbourne. Once our goods arrived they stung us for what they referred to as quarantine charges despite the fact that they had told us customs hadn't wanted to open any of our shipment. I protested loudly telling them this wasn't in our contract & they said, "oh, this happens all the time. If you don't pay, we won't release your goods."

I wrote a strong letter to the agents in UK, GB Liners, asking why we had been charged this when the quote we were given was all inclusive. I was lucky in that I had kept all the paperwork so could quote verbatim from this. They wrote back saying 'sorry, you shouldn't have been charged for this, I will get a refund from NUSS & reimburse you'.

Eventually I got a refund but I just wondered how many times people get stung for extras & are so hassled by the experience of migration that they just accept it.

The bottom line is: if you have nothing in your paperwork about this you can't be expected to pay it. If you get nowhere this side, get in touch with your UK agents.

Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2004, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's not misleading in the sense that they clearly state you are responsible for customs/quarantine charges. Actually I have to change what I said previously, because last time we moved to the US we had to pay customs charges because they decided to inspect our shipment because the morons had offloaded it in Panama so they went through looking for drugs. I would be interested to find out if they actually do pay a charge to customs or if it is collected from every client and then they just pay when they are asked to.

Actually I just looked at my paperwork for when we used Allied to go from the UK to US and there is an entire page devoted to what is not covered in their quotation and they specify quarantine examination costs. They state there are specific regulations for Australia and to contact them for clarification. The problem is most of us don't bother reading the paperwork because we assume we have nothing to be worried about with regards to customs/quarantine.
Old May 23rd 2004, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

You only have to pay quarantine charges if customs open up any of your boxes & inspect them or have to clean anything. If customs don't inspect you are not expected to pay becasue this is included in the initial quote. I honestly think this is a racket - don't put up with it!

It's not misleading in the sense that they clearly state you are responsible for customs/quarantine charges. Actually I have to change what I said previously, because last time we moved to the US we had to pay customs charges because they decided to inspect our shipment because the morons had offloaded it in Panama so they went through looking for drugs. I would be interested to find out if they actually do pay a charge to customs or if it is collected from every client and then they just pay when they are asked to.

Actually I just looked at my paperwork for when we used Allied to go from the UK to US and there is an entire page devoted to what is not covered in their quotation and they specify quarantine examination costs. They state there are specific regulations for Australia and to contact them for clarification. The problem is most of us don't bother reading the paperwork because we assume we have nothing to be worried about with regards to customs/quarantine.
Old May 23rd 2004, 5:20 pm
Homeward Bound

Originally posted by Bella
You only have to pay quarantine charges if customs open up any of your boxes & inspect them or have to clean anything. If customs don't inspect you are not expected to pay becasue this is included in the initial quote. I honestly think this is a racket - don't put up with it!

Hi Bella,

Welcome to the fray!

Vicky, maybe your experinece and your paperwork was different (though there is no disputing how imbecilic most customs and handling agents are) but ours says "Our quotation is a fixed price, unless otherwise stated it does not include insurance, customs duties and inspections."

Our goods have not yet arrived and were not inspected in the UK so the charges cannot be for inspection. I took out seperate insurance as advised and I have a letter stating the costs of "Door to Door, includes customs and handling" Hmm, suggests to me that they "otherwise stated" these inclusions.
I can't quite believe people just shrug and put up with this! THink I will be taking a leaf out of Bella's book.......
Old May 23rd 2004, 5:42 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Is this the company Emma
http://www.chessmoving.com.au/

Its got contact details etc, good luck with it, hope you get your possesions in one piece.
Old May 23rd 2004, 5:49 pm
Homeward Bound

Originally posted by Bordy
Is this the company Emma
http://www.chessmoving.com.au/

Its got contact details etc, good luck with it, hope you get your possesions in one piece.

Hi Bordy,

Thanks for that - I've actually just called them as their details were on the 'urgent request' for $200 (even though the goods have not yet reached Australia.)

I asked her why they want money for Quarantine charges when the goods have not even arrived, let alone been inspected. She says it's a standard charge they make as they have to have the boxes ready "incase they might want to look in one."

Now maybe I'm being a bit dim but "What the f@ck???" Is this like quarantine insurance or something? How the hell can you justify charging for something that might not even happen?

Sorry but really not willing to put up with this at all!

Will keep you informed.

Old May 23rd 2004, 6:17 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hi Bordy,

Thanks for that - I've actually just called them as their details were on the 'urgent request' for $200 (even though the goods have not yet reached Australia.)

I asked her why they want money for Quarantine charges when the goods have not even arrived, let alone been inspected. She says it's a standard charge they make as they have to have the boxes ready "incase they might want to look in one."

Now maybe I'm being a bit dim but "What the f@ck???" Is this like quarantine insurance or something? How the hell can you justify charging for something that might not even happen?

Sorry but really not willing to put up with this at all!

Will keep you informed.

As a previous poster said, it sounds like a racket, even extortion.
Old May 23rd 2004, 6:21 pm
Homeward Bound

Originally posted by renth
As a previous poster said, it sounds like a racket, even extortion.

Quite! THis bloody time difference is driving me mad. Dying to call PSS in UK to see what they say but is a tad early....
Old May 23rd 2004, 6:27 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Quite! THis bloody time difference is driving me mad. Dying to call PSS in UK to see what they say but is a tad early....

Glad I'm not on your wrong side tonight Emma

Good luck with it though, get stuck into them.
Old May 23rd 2004, 6:32 pm
Homeward Bound

Originally posted by Bordy
Glad I'm not on your wrong side tonight Emma

Good luck with it though, get stuck into them.

Now what makes you think Lil ole me would be in the least bit difficult to deal with?
Ok, I admit it, I am feared the land over by Customer Service reps who have pissed me off!

Still, can't be doing with the bury your head in the sand attitude (would never have got this far without a bit of fight) so may as well get stuck in as you say! I'll give you an update when I get through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.