Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Extra baggage on a 457 visa.

Extra baggage on a 457 visa.

Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

leekylou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extra baggage on a 457 visa.

Does anyone know if you can get extra baggage allowance on a 457 visa. We will be going for 4 years, so may aswell be going for good, but it seems you need a PR to qualify for extra baggage.

If not, who are the best to fly with for the cheapest add-ons. We are shipping loads so only really need a bit extra for the first 10-12 weeks or so.

BA website states they charge a flat £25 for the difference between 23kg (allowed) and 32 kgs per bag. Can anyone confirm this?

I also read somewhere that an additional bag is £60, but this seems really cheap compared to the others?

Many thanks

Leekylou.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:28 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extra baggage on a 457 visa.

Originally Posted by leekylou
Does anyone know if you can get extra baggage allowance on a 457 visa. We will be going for 4 years, so may aswell be going for good, but it seems you need a PR to qualify for extra baggage.

If not, who are the best to fly with for the cheapest add-ons. We are shipping loads so only really need a bit extra for the first 10-12 weeks or so.

BA website states they charge a flat £25 for the difference between 23kg (allowed) and 32 kgs per bag. Can anyone confirm this?

I also read somewhere that an additional bag is £60, but this seems really cheap compared to the others?

Many thanks

Leekylou.
When you have bought your ticket you can buy the extra bag online. It was 78 for an extra bag and I have no reason to disbelieve their website on the 25GBP. I may find out on Sunday. Compared to other airlines their excess charges seem reasonable.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

maggi01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IvanM
When you have bought your ticket you can buy the extra bag online. It was 78 for an extra bag and I have no reason to disbelieve their website on the 25GBP. I may find out on Sunday. Compared to other airlines their excess charges seem reasonable.
It depends who you are flying with. If you bought your tickets thro' a certain agency you get 40kg. Our flight with Emirates only let us have 20kg and we were told they were really tight. On arrival at Glasgow OH started talking to the Desk Clerk and he put a small bag thro' for us. We were just over on our main bags, but the small one was around 7kg. No extra charge.
We also paid £350 to a company who deals in excess baggage. Two suitcases that have been all over the World, and reading between the lines, back to Britain......Express Service..... I don't think so.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by maggi01
It depends who you are flying with. If you bought your tickets thro' a certain agency you get 40kg. Our flight with Emirates only let us have 20kg and we were told they were really tight. On arrival at Glasgow OH started talking to the Desk Clerk and he put a small bag thro' for us. We were just over on our main bags, but the small one was around 7kg. No extra charge.
We also paid £350 to a company who deals in excess baggage. Two suitcases that have been all over the World, and reading between the lines, back to Britain......Express Service..... I don't think so.
Yep but OP was referring to BA. Looks like you can take 23kg hand luggage if you can carry it.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:47 am
Just Joined

maggi01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IvanM
Yep but OP was referring to BA. Looks like you can take 23kg hand luggage if you can carry it.
I would then think there is an error on the website. Overhead lockers can only hold a certain weight, and i would personally dislike a bag of that weight landing on my head.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:17 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I would then think there is an error on the website. Overhead lockers can only hold a certain weight, and i would personally dislike a bag of that weight landing on my head.
This taken from the BA website :

Hand baggage2 piece hand baggage allowance for all British Airways flights
The UK Department for Transport has given approval to most UK airports to remove the one-bag restriction on hand baggage. This covers all UK airports that British Airways flies out of and as a result, you can now carry 2 pieces of hand baggage when travelling on all British Airways flights.

The following allowances apply:

one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
In addition, one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase
A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided
NB. Cabin crew will assist customers with additional needs.

Passengers travelling with infants are also permitted the following:

one standard-sized bag for items that the infant may require during the flight
If your journey involves another carrier, you should check your hand baggage allowance with the airline/airport before travelling.

If you are flying on British Airways franchise or codeshare services, you should be aware that baggage allowances may vary. See section for franchises below.

Restrictions on the quantity of liquids allowed through airport security search remain in place. Other security restrictions also remain in place, such as the requirement for laptops and shoes to be screened separately.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:38 am

It struck me as a lot but it is there. I think the airlines like people not putting stuff in the hold as it costs them for each bag they handle.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

Singapore airlines let us increase our bagage to 30kg per person. I phoned ahead and negotiated in advance. I'm not sure I'd have been so successful if I'd just turned up and hoped for the best.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

leekylou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all,

I also read the 23kg hang luggage and thought umm!! But that's what it states so hopefully it's correct.

We are happy to fly with anyone but BA seems the best value for excess baggage so we may stick with them, although I really would like to fly with Singapore Airlines, but hey it's only a short flight....!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leekylou
Thanks all,

I also read the 23kg hang luggage and thought umm!! But that's what it states so hopefully it's correct.

We are happy to fly with anyone but BA seems the best value for excess baggage so we may stick with them, although I really would like to fly with Singapore Airlines, but hey it's only a short flight....!!!!
Mentioned it to a friend who works as airline crew - his crew nightstop bag has to go in the cabin, and that is usually around 20kg. However he has to make sure he gets it in one of the small lockers because of the weight. He said imagining one of the larger lockers, with 4 or 5 bags, all 23kgs, is not a good image, and he wouldn't like to be sat below it during turbulence.
I'd also imagine on a full flight they will be seriousl pushed for overhead space, so boarding as soon as you can would be good
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I think BA's 23 kg hand bag rule is so that it matches the limit that most USA airlines use, especially for people transfering within USA.

USA airlines usually allow high hand bag allowance.

It always made me laugh that the likes of Air2000 and Monarch on charter flights stuck so fixed to the 5 kg allowance on the grounds of 'safety' while the same planes in the USA were carrying almost 5 times that.