Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expat Mortgage Brokers for UK Property

Expat Mortgage Brokers for UK Property

Old Mar 24th 2016, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Mortgage Brokers for UK Property

Originally Posted by Beoz
Can you translate that? What is basic interest? Any chance of an example with figures?
I did not mention "basic interest". I said that interest could only be offset at the basic rate (meaning basic tax rate).

So the "basic rate band" is the 20% band which people will initially pay tax at after personal allowance. As earnings increase people go into the higher bands.

As a example of the figures. Let's presume you are a higher tax rate payer due to your employment income. But you also earn £1,700 in rent, have £200 of maintenance expenses and pay £500 in mortgage interest.

Prior to the changes the higher rate tax payer would pay tax of (1700-200-500) @40% = £400

Now the interest can only be relieved at the basic rate so the tax payer would pay tax of (1700-200)@40% minus 500@20% = £500.

So higher rate taxpayer is £100 worse off.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I did not mention "basic interest". I said that interest could only be offset at the basic rate (meaning basic tax rate).

So the "basic rate band" is the 20% band which people will initially pay tax at after personal allowance. As earnings increase people go into the higher bands.

As a example of the figures. Let's presume you are a higher tax rate payer due to your employment income. But you also earn £1,700 in rent, have £200 of maintenance expenses and pay £500 in mortgage interest.

Prior to the changes the higher rate tax payer would pay tax of (1700-200-500) @40% = £400

Now the interest can only be relieved at the basic rate so the tax payer would pay tax of (1700-200)@40% minus 500@20% = £500.

So higher rate taxpayer is £100 worse off.
Ok cool cheers.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not too sure about brokers, but you do realise that the laws on buy-to-let have changed very recently or are about o, and also the rules on taxation of them, so it might be a good idea, if you haven't already done so, to familiarise yourself with them. A number of UK owners of rental properties have already said that with the new regulations they are going to have to sell up.
Hi thanks, yes I am aware of the tax changes. The main one that applies now is the 3% stamp duty as we have existing property. CGT will impact when come to sell, but will cross that bridge when the time comes. The changes to mortgage interest don't affect us, because we are not resident in the uk.

Cheers.