Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exotic fruit and Vegetables

Exotic fruit and Vegetables

Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exotic fruit and Vegetables

Doing my fruit and veg shopping recently at my local market , i came a cross some fruit i had never heard of. This was dragon fruit.
What delights can u get in Australia at a market that you had not seen or heard of before?
Mandy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exotic fruit and Vegetables

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Doing my fruit and veg shopping recently at my local market , i came a cross some fruit i had never heard of. This was dragon fruit.
What delights can u get in Australia at a market that you had not seen or heard of before?
Mandy
first time i went to australia my friend and i bought custard apple from the market, sorry i can't remember what they taste like but remember that they were pretty delicate
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:36 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebraH
first time i went to australia my friend and i bought custard apple from the market, sorry i can't remember what they taste like but remember that they were pretty delicate
you can get custard apples in sainsburys - they are horrible!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
you can get custard apples in sainsburys - they are horrible!!

never heard of them or seen them
Mandy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Mandy
I haven't tried much of anything different as to be honest myself and daughter (who are fruit lovers) think the fruit out here is pretty crap ... ... and far too expensive! ...

We're hoping it's a seasonal thing tho! ...
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I haven't tried much of anything different as to be honest myself and daughter (who are fruit lovers) think the fruit out here is pretty crap ... ... and far too expensive! ...

We're hoping it's a seasonal thing tho! ...

i got the impresion from my oz books that fresh fruit was cheap in markets . Or is it a case of making oz attractive to visitors? I knew about the bananas being expensive but not other fruit.
Mandy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

i got the impresion from my oz books that fresh fruit was cheap in markets . Or is it a case of making oz attractive to visitors? I knew about the bananas being expensive but not other fruit.
Mandy
I got told off for moaning last time, even tho it was tongue in cheek, but cherries are $20 a kilo or whatever it is. Imported from the US so probably why.

I'll check back in the summer I think, altho always have to pinch one every time I past em in the supermarket ...
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I got told off for moaning last time, even tho it was tongue in cheek, but cherries are $20 a kilo or whatever it is. Imported from the US so probably why.

I'll check back in the summer I think, altho always have to pinch one every time I past em in the supermarket ...

We do that with grapes hubby gets one from each pack to see which is the sweetest. well thats his excuse

i would rather people be honest with the price of things . After all it affects everyone coming over . i need to get a currency converter so i can compare prices. But $20 a kilo of cherries sounds dear to me.
Mandy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We do that with grapes hubby gets one from each pack to see which is the sweetest. well thats his excuse

i would rather people be honest with the price of things . After all it affects everyone coming over . i need to get a currency converter so i can compare prices. But $20 a kilo of cherries sounds dear to me.
Mandy
The cherry season is very short (about 5 weeks) and runs from mid-November to mid-December. Cherries during that time are cheap. They're traditionally eaten here at Christmas, people often buy a box of them. Cherries available at any other time are imported and so much more expensive.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Dragon fruit is lovely in Vietnam but very bland in UK.
Custard apple is yummy in Asia (again). It tastes lemony but not too sharp and is really soft and juicy.
One of my favourite fruits is mangosteen - gorgeous! Is that available in Oz?
Anyone tried Durian fruit?!!!? Smells like an open sewer and tastes like onion ice cream!!!!!!
I'm hoping that I'll be able to search out some good stores for fruit in Brissie as I do like fruitin'!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:06 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
cheese-cake?

CHEESE-cake?!

CHEESE-CAKE???!!!

(couldnt resist phil kay moment)
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:11 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE

(couldnt resist phil kay moment) [/QUOTE]

You mean Peter methinks!!!!

xRachx
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:43 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
You mean Peter methinks!!!!

xRachx
i knew that i knew that i knew that - blowtorchlady
Old Jun 30th 2006, 12:28 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
i knew that i knew that i knew that - blowtorchlady

Don't bad mouth my batteries!!!!

xRachx
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon and alex
Dragon fruit is lovely in Vietnam but very bland in UK.
Custard apple is yummy in Asia (again). It tastes lemony but not too sharp and is really soft and juicy.
One of my favourite fruits is mangosteen - gorgeous! Is that available in Oz?
Anyone tried Durian fruit?!!!? Smells like an open sewer and tastes like onion ice cream!!!!!!
I'm hoping that I'll be able to search out some good stores for fruit in Brissie as I do like fruitin'!!
I've heard the same about certain tropical fruit tasting great in countries where they are grown but now where they're exported to. I suppose it's got to do with the ripeness of the fruit when it's picked. Also unless the fruit is transported by overnight flight, you're not likely to get the freshest exoctic fruit.

We have 3 custard apple trees in our rental property and they taste much better than the store bought ones even though they're all grown locally. Even then the custard apples from the fruit barn are usually not bad.

Yes you can get mangosteen here, but they're expensive. I think I last paid over $12/kilo at a supermarket. Considering how thick & heavy the shell is comparing to the edible bits of the fruit, it's got to be one of the most expensive tropical fruit. Hubby wouldn't let me buy more than 5 at a time, but I always manage to sneak in a couple extra while he's not watching. Mangosteen isn't called the "Queen of Fruit" for no reason.

You'll find lots of fruit barns in the suburbs of Brisbane.

Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.