Wikiposts

Exotic Foods

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:43 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exotic Foods

Originally Posted by renth
The thread is about exotic food and we have so far done aubergine and pineapple. Not particularly exotic I have to say. Anyway they sell durians at our local Woolies, always fancied trying them but never wanted to stink my house out with the smell of sewage.

"Some Westerners have described the experience of eating the durian as "like eating custard in a public lavatory".

Richard Sterling (as quoted in The Travelling Curmudgoen) says; "..its odor is best described as pig-sh*t, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
I tried it in Penang and I thought it was disgusting. Possibly the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth - and that is saying something :scared: The texture is a bit like a mango and avacado and, to me, it tastes as it smells, rotting onions and decaying flesh - YUK!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:06 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I tried it in Penang and I thought it was disgusting. Possibly the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth - and that is saying something :scared: The texture is a bit like a mango and avacado and, to me, it tastes as it smells, rotting onions and decaying flesh - YUK!
I feel just the same way about pawpaws - or papayas, as some call them.
But persimmons are my favourite; they look like tomatoes. Just bite into them and suck out the juice - wonderful!
Mangoes are best eaten in the bath! They're gorgeous, but very messy.
While I was living in FNQ, I met some people who were experimenting with growing exotic fruit. Brazilian cherries, aoui (that's not a mis-spelling),jack-fruit, custard apples, lots more whose names I can't remember, as well as lychees, but I don't think they've made it to markets yet.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:11 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheCrone
I feel just the same way about pawpaws - or papayas, as some call them.
But persimmons are my favourite; they look like tomatoes. Just bite into them and suck out the juice - wonderful!
Mangoes are best eaten in the bath! They're gorgeous, but very messy.
While I was living in FNQ, I met some people who were experimenting with growing exotic fruit. Brazilian cherries, aoui (that's not a mis-spelling),jack-fruit, custard apples, lots more whose names I can't remember, as well as lychees, but I don't think they've made it to markets yet.

I bought a custard apple from Safeways - not bad but not my favourite.

I love mangos but as you say, they have to be eaten in the bath with dental floss to follow!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:23 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Mango's is another one I haven't tried... I always wonder how to eat them.

Here's how:

http://www.atcoblueflamekitchen.com/...at%20a%20mango

How to Eat a Mango
Do not peel mango before cutting. Using a sharp knife, slice mango lengthwise on each side of pit. Score flesh of each half into squares cutting down to, but not through, the skin. From bottom, gently push each mango half inside out, pushing mango cubes up and apart. Cut cubes from the skin and serve.
This is the way I've always eaten mango since I was a little girl. It still gets messy though when you try to eat the flesh near the pit. Mangoes are among my favourite fruit and am already eating about 6 of them a week even though the season has only just started. They make great smoothie too with a bit of orange juice.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
But how do you define "exotic"? Surely that is subjective depending on who you are and where you come from.
As a pom having grown up in UK i will always see a pineapple as a form of exotic fruit because it cannot be grown there and comes from far away places. Juat because i have moved location i cannot change how i see it.
On the flip side of this, i heard someone on TV a few months ago here in Australia refer to a raspberry as an exotic fruit!!
You are right, its amusing reading this as firstly, an aussie, but more importantly, as a queenslander. Someone who has never tries mango?!?!?! Shock, horror!!!! And not liking pawpaw? You've obviously never tasted a good one! Pineapples are something that my nephew & niece grow on their farm & that you only eat in summer cos the winter pines are only good for canning :scared: . Custard apples, monsterio, bananas, persimmons & lychees are just stuff that grows in the backyard & every qld kid worth their salt had a mango tree in their backyard or had a friend who did, so you could climb them & sit in the boughs & eat the mangos straight off the tree, bugger the bath . Fruits like that are things that I have grown up with.

But raspberries ooh, Id never tasted a fresh raspberry until about 3 years ago .
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:36 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You are right, its amusing reading this as firstly, an aussie, but more importantly, as a queenslander. Someone who has never tries mango?!?!?! Shock, horror!!!!
My first visit to friends in Sydney a few years back produced a similar reaction, went shopping with them and they were merrily loading up their trolley, came back to find me holding a Mango looking at it suspiciously, when I asked them what it was they almost collapsed laughing, ended up with everyone in Coles fruit n Veg section pointing at the crazy Pom who didn't know what a Mango was lol.

Soon as I tasted it I was on twenty a day Got a shock when I went home and found the big juicy $1.50 each fruits were now small, almost black, looked like they had been played football with and Sainsbury's were charging £1.50

Mango's is another one I haven't tried... I always wonder how to eat them.
Have attached a useful little card I picked up in Coles after getting fed up having to line the walls and floor with plastic sheeting every time I tried dissecting one. To work out where the seed is turn it over so looking down from above you are looking at the thinnest part of the fruit, the seed is then a big 'disk' somewhere around the centre of the fruit, trial and error required here.
Attached Thumbnails Exotic Foods-mango.jpg  
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Here's how:

This is the way I've always eaten mango since I was a little girl. It still gets messy though when you try to eat the flesh near the pit. Mangoes are among my favourite fruit and am already eating about 6 of them a week even though the season has only just started. They make great smoothie too with a bit of orange juice.

Mrs JTL
Are they kind to the waist?
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Can you grow all of these in Melbourne

I am getting into gardening a big way.
I planted 2 kiwi bushes last year but one died... I am not sure if it was the male or female. How can I tell? I must get another one because I just love eating them as does my daughter. I can't belive that you can eat the skin here. In the UK it was as tough as leather
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
My first visit to friends in Sydney a few years back produced a similar reaction, went shopping with them and they were merrily loading up their trolley, came back to find me holding a Mango looking at it suspiciously, when I asked them what it was they almost collapsed laughing, ended up with everyone in Coles fruit n Veg section pointing at the crazy Pom who didn't know what a Mango was lol.

Soon as I tasted it I was on twenty a day. Got a shock when I went home and found the big juicy $1.50 each fruits were now small, almost black, looked like they had been played football with and Sainsbury's were charging £1.50
I can tell you a funny story about Dagboys sister making me mango crumble the first time I went to the UK. She told us we were having mango crumble for dessert & then produced a "mango" from the fridge. I took one look at it & said "You cant eat that, it's as hard as a rock & green!" :scared: Dagboy cracked up laughing at the look of absolute horror on my face , cos thats what mangoes (& all other *exotic* fruit) are like in the UK. Sure enough she chopped it up & cooked it - bloody good job it was cooked is all I can say cos otherwise it would have been like eating a brick .
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:05 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you grow all of these in Melbourne

I am getting into gardening a big way.
I planted 2 kiwi bushes last year but one died... I am not sure if it was the male or female. How can I tell? I must get another one because I just love eating them as does my daughter. I can't belive that you can eat the skin here. In the UK it was as tough as leather
Where did you live in the UK? I always eat the skin and we've eaten mangoes and since I was a kid and I'm from Rotherham!!!!!

What about cape gooseberries, or in fact just normal gooseberries do you get them out there??

P
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Here's how:

Mrs JTL
OR......

One of my favourite ways to eat mango is to chuck one in the freezer for a few hours....make sure its properly frozen and when you take it out, use a knife to cut the skin away and eat it like an Icy Pole (Ice lollie for the Poms )
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:16 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
OR......

One of my favourite ways to eat mango is to chuck one in the freezer for a few hours....make sure its properly frozen and when you take it out, use a knife to cut the skin away and eat it like an Icy Pole (Ice lollie for the Poms )
oooo I've done it with bananas but not mangoes that sounds yum
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by possoms
oooo I've done it with bananas but not mangoes that sounds yum

Are you sure you posted that on the right forum???

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:37 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Are you sure you posted that on the right forum???

yeah, which would be more satisfying, a banana or mango ?
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by possoms
Where did you live in the UK? I always eat the skin and we've eaten mangoes and since I was a kid and I'm from Rotherham!!!!!

What about cape gooseberries, or in fact just normal gooseberries do you get them out there??

P
We used to have a friend with a goseberry bush when I was a kid & ate them all the time, so they definitely grow here, but I havent actually seen one for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.