Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchanging European license for Aussie one?

Exchanging European license for Aussie one?

Old May 24th 2013, 6:27 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exchanging European license for Aussie one?

I checked with the official site for NSW and apparently they will give me an Aussie license simply based on my European one. But the big question is will they keep my other license or will I get it back?

Has anyone gone this route before?
Old May 24th 2013, 6:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging European license for Aussie one?

Originally Posted by astera
I checked with the official site for NSW and apparently they will give me an Aussie license simply based on my European one. But the big question is will they keep my other license or will I get it back?

Has anyone gone this route before?
You get it back.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:32 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks!

Do they require any proof of address or anything like that when issuing a license or do you just declare an address and that's it?
Old May 24th 2013, 10:40 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks!

Do they require any proof of address or anything like that when issuing a license or do you just declare an address and that's it?
Have you ever lived in Australia before? If so, you'd know you have to produce at least 2 forms of ID before you're allowed to blow your nose

Here's the page from the RTA which tells you everything you need:

International Drivers
Old May 25th 2013, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

LizzieTYK is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep you get your EU licence back- I got my NSW licence last month. You need all the ID plus sign a form allowing them to look up your immigration status with DIAC. Be prepared for the cost though: $162 for 5 years! Puts our £20 photocard every 10 years in perspective....

Also, I'd mislaid my UK paper counterpart so had to get a new one and the corresponding photocard sent to me before I could do the swap. There appears to have been a change in the EU rules since the start of the year and a new motorbike category added, the upshot of which is that you can get a provisional NSW motorbike licence (which converts into a permanent licence after 12 months) without having to do any of the tests that local drivers have to do...not very sensible perhaps given that I've never ridden a motorbike before yet according to the law I'm licensed to drive one, but there you go!
Old May 25th 2013, 4:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizzieTYK
Yep you get your EU licence back- I got my NSW licence last month. You need all the ID plus sign a form allowing them to look up your immigration status with DIAC. Be prepared for the cost though: $162 for 5 years! Puts our £20 photocard every 10 years in perspective....

Also, I'd mislaid my UK paper counterpart so had to get a new one and the corresponding photocard sent to me before I could do the swap. There appears to have been a change in the EU rules since the start of the year and a new motorbike category added, the upshot of which is that you can get a provisional NSW motorbike licence (which converts into a permanent licence after 12 months) without having to do any of the tests that local drivers have to do...not very sensible perhaps given that I've never ridden a motorbike before yet according to the law I'm licensed to drive one, but there you go!
Being pedantic, but this doesn't exist.. yet... your licence is for the country you passed you test in and no other in th EU, if you move from any country in the EU to a different EU country you, officially, should change you licence, they aren't integrated as yet, even though the photo-licences look just the same. In fact it's the paper part that is your licence, the photo part is just really something for the police to look at to know you have a licence.
Old May 25th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Being pedantic, but this doesn't exist..
If you wanted to be more pedantic, you could also say that an Australian licence doesn't exist as well as they're state issued.
Old May 25th 2013, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

That's very interesting. Do you have a link for this? (I'm too lazy to Google it)
Old May 25th 2013, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
That's very interesting. Do you have a link for this? (I'm too lazy to Google it)
You took the words out of my mouth! You can bet your life though even if it applies in NSW, Queensland won't do it!
Old May 25th 2013, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You took the words out of my mouth! You can bet your life though even if it applies in NSW, Queensland won't do it!
Yep, Indeed!

https://www.gov.uk/changes-to-the-dr...and-categories

There is indeed a new category AM which is automatically on the new licence. How that will translate to swapping it in Aus for a full Mbike licence remains to be seen.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 25th 2013 at 10:10 pm. Reason: Add info.
Old May 26th 2013, 6:11 am

they aren't integrated as yet, even though the photo-licences look just the same. In fact it's the paper part that is your licence, the photo part is just really something for the police to look at to know you have a licence.
There's a paper part? I just have a plastic card.
Old May 26th 2013, 6:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There's a paper part? I just have a plastic card.
UK licences consist of two parts, the paper part and the photo card, the paper part is the true licence, the photo card just shows who you are and that you have a licence, doesnt have a chip wich has all your driving misdemeanors on, if you get points for any infraction you have to send the paper part in and the points are put onto there. The photo card is just a convenient way of carry something that hsows you can drive.
Old May 26th 2013, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Neptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura about

UK licences consist of two parts, the paper part and the photo card, the paper part is the true licence
The true license is the photocard licence. The paper counterpart will be abolished by 2015:
As part of a Government-wide process to get rid of unnecessary, burdensome and overcomplicated regulation, the Department for Transport is, among other measures, scrapping the regulation requiring motorists to hold a paper counterpart to their driving licence by 2015 at the latest.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nes-1-000.html

Also a holder of a non-GB EU driving licence no longer needs a counterpart after he gets points for an infraction since 1 April 2009:
EU licence holders who do not hold a GB counterpart and all other foreign licence holders can now have a “Driver Record” created at the DVLA (Swansea) to record endorsements on. When the record has been created the DVLA will notify the driver of the record number. The COFP explains the information that needs to be supplied to create the Driver Record.
http://www.saferroadspartnership.co.uk/faqs/39.html

Last edited by Neptun; May 26th 2013 at 8:53 am.
Old May 26th 2013, 9:44 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for the cost though: $162 for 5 years! Puts our £20 photocard every 10 years in perspective....
..... and thought $143 for the new Qld chipped licence was a rip-off......oh, that will probably $162 here when the LNP hands down it's first budget......

Last edited by Alfresco; May 26th 2013 at 11:44 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You should not obtain an Australian state/territory driving licence until you have genuinely moved to that jurisdiction. You have to get a driving licence at that point, normally within 30 days, if you're an Australian citizen/PR (or NZ citizen).

However, I would be cautious and seek further advice before trying to get an Australian licence before actually establishing residence (if that is what you are contemplating). It can be an indicator of establishing tax residence, and may also start the clock for you to get health insurance without paying an age loading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.