Wikiposts

Exchange Rates.

Old Jan 22nd 2003, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If the rate stays low and you are about to leave for Aus, why don't you leave your money in an English bank account and then transfer it when the rate becomes more favourable. If you have internet banking, which most of the banks offer, this will be simple to do. You can open an ccount in oz and if the rate is still grim just transfer minimal amounts. Any lumps of money left can wait until the rate gets higher.
You can also still use your British credit card, they always give the best exchange rate.
We are going to do this if it is low when we leave. My husband studied economics so he is full of bright ideas!
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 9:19 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by tinaj
If the rate stays low and you are about to leave for Aus, why don't you leave your money in an English bank account and then transfer it when the rate becomes more favourable. If you have internet banking, which most of the banks offer, this will be simple to do. You can open an ccount in oz and if the rate is still grim just transfer minimal amounts. Any lumps of money left can wait until the rate gets higher.
You can also still use your British credit card, they always give the best exchange rate.
We are going to do this if it is low when we leave. My husband studied economics so he is full of bright ideas!
Thats very sensible advice and exactly what we have done for the past 2 years. The only slight downside is that interest rates are higher in Oz so you can earn slightly more interest here, but at the expense of fluctuating value of your savings in UK pound terms.
We are actually very very lucky that I still get paid in pounds from the UK and we get that put into a UK savings account and transfer enough to pay off our Australian credit card balance each month. We manage to pay the rent, bills and cash expenses using my wife's Australian salary so it works quite well for us and means we saving for our return with no exposure to the Aussie dollar.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exchange Rates.

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Does anyone know why the rate has become less favourable over the last 5 days, as it was $2.84 a pound now it's $2.75, (5 days later) what is going on, will it go up again, at a guess ...

Comments please,

Thanks.

I wish I had the same problem my Cdn $ is worth peanuts to the British Pound, for my $100 I only get 40 British pounds
:scared:
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Goody Goody, my Aussie dollar now buys 36p not 35p.

(You'll understand this post once in OZ)
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange Rate

Originally posted by shellypuss
I admit I dont have a clue about money issues but when we contacted the money exchange people over Christmas they told us that the exchange rate would probably go down as oil becomes more expensive per barrell.

Don't know if this is true though.

I equate money to how much chocolate it will buy me

Shelly
Cocoa prices have soared to 17 year highs recently - you are gonna have to pay more for your choccie bars soon. Best you stockpile them while they're still cheap!!
Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know why the rate has become less favourable over the last 5 days, as it was $2.84 a pound now it's $2.75, (5 days later) what is going on, will it go up again, at a guess ...

Comments please,

Thanks.
Hi Folks,

The rate is now 2794 per pound, going up up and away ...

GONE UP 8 CENTS IN A WEEK,

If you are moving back to th UK it may not be good news, sorry ...

good luck to all emigrating to OZ,
Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:47 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Folks,

The rate is now 2794 per pound, going up up and away ...

GONE UP 8 CENTS IN A WEEK,

If you are moving back to th UK it may not be good news, sorry ...

good luck to all emigrating to OZ,
Thats unless you were sensible and sent some back last week!!!