Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance - transferring no claims discounts from UK to Australia

Car Insurance - transferring no claims discounts from UK to Australia

Old Jan 28th 2003, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Car Insurance - transferring no claims discounts from UK to Australia

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of transferring no claims discounts on car insurance when migrating to Australia?

If you were successful, what documentation did you need to take with you?
Old Jan 28th 2003, 12:50 pm
gle
Forum Regular

gle is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that one is unable too transfer no claims. I could be wrong however.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 12:54 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance - transferring no claims discounts from UK to Australia

All you should need is confirmation of the no claims bonus when you leave the UK, which your insurer should be able to provide without too many problems.

Present that to your chosen insurer in Australia (I'm with AAMI) and you should pick up pretty much where you were when you left the UK.

Best regards.

Originally posted by kevmitch
Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of transferring no claims discounts on car insurance when migrating to Australia?

Old Jan 28th 2003, 10:16 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Insurance - transferring no claims discounts from UK to Australia

My insurance company, GIO, just needed the company name & policy number, and I told them what my NCD was. However, I lived in Germany for 4 years, may have had something to do with it. Other insurance companies didn't even accept NCD earnt in Germany!

Cheers,
Paul.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pread
My insurance company, GIO, just needed the company name & policy number, and I told them what my NCD was. However, I lived in Germany for 4 years, may have had something to do with it. Other insurance companies didn't even accept NCD earnt in Germany!

Cheers,
Paul.
Pretty much the same for us - we're with SGIO and got the maximum no claim bonus/discount based on a letter from our previous insurers in the UK.

DPR
Old Jan 29th 2003, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dpr21
Pretty much the same for us - we're with SGIO and got the maximum no claim bonus/discount based on a letter from our previous insurers in the UK.

DPR
Same here. RAC in Perth accepted a letter from ICBC in Vancouver. We didn't know about it when we arrived, so we had ICBC fax them the letter. It detailed the policy number, the policy term and statements saying that there were no "at fault" claims for x number of years. There was a contact name and number as well. If the insurance company doesn't want to accept it, shop around.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 7:26 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

We too are with AAMI and they just wanted a copy of the NCB letter from the UK. But you have to ask for everything you want (eg protect. NCB, agreed value, additional driver, garaged discount etc) - this seems to be a general Oz thing, dont assume anything, ask.

Also, here's a bonus of moving interstate - we ins. the car in sept in Sydney, drove 15000kms up to QLD, down thru ACT/VIC/SA then across to WA, phoned AAMI and gave them our new address and they've started a new policy from the date we got here, and sent a cheque for $25.00! Smart eh? 3 months ins free plus a 25 buck refund!

Happy Days.

Mouse

P.S. Dont get me started on those that have blagged a HGV licence when exchanging their UK car licence.....You know who you are!!!
Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have just arranged policy with Budget Direct in Melbourne, having arrived in Australia a month ago. Got written evidence of NCB from Direct Line in Uk following advice from this forum. Now told that because most recent insurance papers dont cover the last 12 months, we need another letter from Uk to say that we have been insured for at least a year in UK holding that level of NCB.
Not sure whether other insurers are the same, but we were given 28 days to provide all the evidence for full NCB to apply here.