Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate Woe

Exchange Rate Woe

Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future
Unhappy Exchange Rate Woe

Bad couple of days on the markets, re-election of Bush the fool, HBOS saying 1.1% off house prices and no interest rate rise have done no favours to the £ versus AUD this week.

A low of 2.4288 today, Down 8% from the summer highs. Pretty much back to where is was in March.

With no more interest rate action between now and Feb I don't see the position improving.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange Rate Woe

Originally Posted by steveyp
Bad couple of days on the markets, re-election of Bush the fool, HBOS saying 1.1% off house prices and no interest rate rise have done no favours to the £ versus AUD this week.

A low of 2.4288 today, Down 8% from the summer highs. Pretty much back to where is was in March.

With no more interest rate action between now and Feb I don't see the position improving.
Anyone moving back will nbe happy though!
Yippeeeee!! WELL DONE!!!

Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:56 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

Currently 2.47 Aus for one GBP
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fremantleraider
Where did you find 2.47?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:08 am
kingofcats2005

Where did you find 2.47?
You rich people do my head in...never happy, no matter what life throws at you. Start living life and you'll soon throw aside such trivial concerns such as a poor exchange rate!

What will make you happy? a move to Oz? I don't think so...you guys will always find something to whinge about! You have to change your attitude to life to be truly happy - oh and by the way, if the rate is not over 2.50 to the pound before xmas, I'll eat my sporran - trust me!(for what it's worth!!!!) ha ha!

Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingofcats2005
You rich people do my head in...never happy, no matter what life throws at you. Start living life and you'll soon throw aside such trivial concerns such as a poor exchange rate!

What will make you happy? a move to Oz? I don't think so...you guys will always find something to whinge about! You have to change your attitude to life to be truly happy - oh and by the way, if the rate is not over 2.50 to the pound before xmas, I'll eat my sporran - trust me!(for what it's worth!!!!) ha ha!
Are you going to post the sporran eating photos on here?

OzTennis
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:44 am
kingofcats2005

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Are you going to post the sporran eating photos on here?

OzTennis
It will hit 2.5 plus no worries before santa comes - oo er.
However, should I be wrong ( no chance mate of this happening) then I'll post the photos on here gladly.

Please will you all stop whingeing - go fishing or have a round of golf or something - whatever you rich guys do and remember to enjoy life a bit more - YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:11 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fremantleraider
2.4323 per BBC.co.uk this morning. It was almost 2.60 at the start of September

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...hree_month.stm
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:32 am
kingofcats2005

Originally Posted by worzel
2.4323 per BBC.co.uk this morning. It was almost 2.60 at the start of September

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...hree_month.stm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
and it was 3 to the pound a few years ago too!
If only I hadn't wasted money on that rubiks cube in the 80's then I'd have more to exchange...why haven't I been eating pasta for the last 10 years?...think of the money I would have saved?! And all that wasted money on wine and beer and holidays...just think of the waste! Just think- how many dollars have we frittered away? ....Life's just not worth living...

Ok - what are you going to spend it all on? What are your plans? What are your dreams? What have you achieved today...? What are your plans for tomorrow?

Take a tip from me - go fishing and forget about the exchange rate and other such trivial matters.
Dave

Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I take your point re life change and attitude and a more relaxed less money-centric life is what I want.

However I am not loosing my senses or joining a hippy commune, an 8% move in rates matters a lot.

Who said I wasnt happy?, who said I was rich and who says I wasnt living my life?

2.50 by christmas? I will bring the salt and pepper....
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:15 pm
kingofcats2005

I take your point re life change and attitude and a more relaxed less money-centric life is what I want.

However I am not loosing my senses or joining a hippy commune, an 8% move in rates matters a lot.

Who said I wasnt happy?, who said I was rich and who says I wasnt living my life?

2.50 by christmas? I will bring the salt and pepper....
Sound good to me but it will hit it...what are you going to eat.....................
>
>
>
>
>
>
humble pie????

Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:16 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Take a tip from me - go fishing and forget about the exchange rate and other such trivial matters.
Dave
Agree and disagree. You may have enough money to not need to worry about several cent variations in the exchange rate but we're not all the same. Getting an extra 10 or 20 cents per pound during exchange is definetly not a trivial matter and I think it's rather ignorant of you to suggest it is.

Some of us who have young families and haven't had the fortune of cashing in on sky high house prices need to get the best value exchange rate that they can. You on the other hand obviously have so much money that it's not important. I've worked hard over the last 5 years to build up a small amount of savings and I like many others need to make that go as far as possible, so to us the exchange rate is important. However, we can't change or affect the exchange rate so I agree that we shouldn't let it stress us out.

So you can go fishing and completly forget about the exchange rates even when you come to exchange your millions, and I'll go football and keep a track of the exchange rates and change my savings when I think I'll get the best rates for my pounds.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sound good to me but it will hit it...what are you going to eat.....................
>
>
>
>
>
>
humble pie????
Love it if you were right I too want 2.50 or better,
what will I be eating? Whatever the cook and the butler can throw together I guess.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:34 pm
kingofcats2005

Love it if you were right I too want 2.50 or better,
what will I be eating? Whatever the cook and the butler can throw together I guess.
No probs!!!
We'll be lucky to take a grand with us so will be getting work quickly
Life is what you make it
We'll make it
Will all of you
Dave

Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:34 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
and it was 3 to the pound a few years ago too!
If only I hadn't wasted money on that rubiks cube in the 80's then I'd have more to exchange...why haven't I been eating pasta for the last 10 years?...think of the money I would have saved?! And all that wasted money on wine and beer and holidays...just think of the waste! Just think- how many dollars have we frittered away? ....Life's just not worth living...

Ok - what are you going to spend it all on? What are your plans? What are your dreams? What have you achieved today...? What are your plans for tomorrow?

Dave
That's uncalled for! Personally I will be taking a large step down financially when I get out there so I am not doing it for the money. Anyway it is likely to be 6-9 months before we get out there so I am not bothered what the rate is at the moment.

Somebody asked a question and I helped them out. That is what we do on this forum. If you don't want to read it then don't read it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.