9.09%
Exhange a bit and hope the rate improves
90.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

exchange rate: what would you do?

Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:03 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow exchange rate: what would you do?

Exchange rate crept up a bit but still not as good as it was a few months ago.

So, should we:

a) Transfer all our money and be grateful, after all it might go down not up!

b) Transfer enough to keep us going and hope the rate improves?

Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:18 pm
Sydney Bound Jan 2006

Kopites will become famous soon enoughKopites will become famous soon enough
Default Re: exchange rate: what would you do?

Originally Posted by bridiej

So, should we:

Hi we are in the same boat,heading to Sydney on Jan 5th ,hoping the rate will go up,if not will only take what money i need and have the rest in an account which i will have internet access.
Cheers Andy
Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

So, should we:

Bridie...we need a "don't know" option because I really "don't know". At least I have slightly longer than you to decide. Hope it turns out good for you though.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Go on - live dangerously :scared:

I'd wait and see.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura about

As a family, we felt that with all the current factors taken into account we simply had to buy into the market at whatever price we could get a few weeks ago and managed to get 2.33 per pound.

UK market factors seem gloomy, whilst Australian factors are booming.

Our perspective was coming from the fact that we are heading out in mid-November. Knowing our luck, the market will shoot up to 2.6 by the time we land and we will be cursing our hastiness, but that's life for you.

If, by the time we are there, the AU$ has dropped below 2.3 or further, we will really be counting our decisiveness.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

So, should we:

Unsure bridie we are completing on our house in 2 weeks so what to do then i don,t know.Long term average over the last 10 years is 2.44.I hope it will gets close to 2.4 by then and i,ll do the lot and never look at it again.As we both know it can go the other way

One piece of advice was given to me by the lady who i got some $ from yesterday at a travel agent.Take this how you like but she said to me it will go up in a couple of weeks.Oh why i said what makes you think that.She said i,ve been doing this for years and one thing i,ve noticed is when the children break up for school holidays here the rate definatley improves.

Like i said take that how you like the final decision is with yourself.Sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling.lets hope for all our sakes it improves a little.

dave
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:59 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: exchange rate: what would you do?

So, should we:

Is there a tax implication in this? Lets say you have £100,000 in a bank in UK at 5% annual interest? If the AU$ is say 2:1, then you have AU$200,000 at the beginning of the year. But if the AU$ drops to 3:1 (for the sake of the maths) then at the end of the year you would have AU$315,000 (including the interest). Would the Australian government tax you as if you had earned AU$115,000 during the year? Other posts seem to indicate they might.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Just had a look on ozforex 2.34 at this time.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Smile Re: exchange rate: what would you do?

Hi Bridie

Have you looked at the forward contract rates offered by HIFX etc...
These will give an indication of what they think the rates will be doing in the future.

Hope this does not add to the confusion too much!

Cheers

AnitaB
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:09 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Bridie I got 2.37 after a lot of haggling a month or so back - since then i've still kept an eye on the rate and what you would actually get (NOT what the companies buy at) has never got close. Today seems to be a good day and its getting nearer again but the financial forecast e-mails I get have not been good and it dosen't look like the pound will pick up any time soon - personally i'd buy now - i'm not convinced we are ever going to see the great rates of 6-months to ayear ago again.

Good luck whatever you do - it is very worrying and the more money you have the worse it gets.

Lynn
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Robmichellef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Is there a tax implication in this? Lets say you have £100,000 in a bank in UK at 5% annual interest? If the AU$ is say 2:1, then you have AU$200,000 at the beginning of the year. But if the AU$ drops to 3:1 (for the sake of the maths) then at the end of the year you would have AU$315,000 (including the interest). Would the Australian government tax you as if you had earned AU$115,000 during the year? Other posts seem to indicate they might.

We are in 'talks' with an accountant who sspecializes in UK/Oz tax iimplications and this is an area that he has highlighted- yes you will be taxed. There is away around it to minimize your tax bill but I don't know what it is, not sure if I have paid enough money to find out yet!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Robmichellef
We are in 'talks' with an accountant who sspecializes in UK/Oz tax iimplications and this is an area that he has highlighted- yes you will be taxed. There is away around it to minimize your tax bill but I don't know what it is, not sure if I have paid enough money to find out yet!

Give your money to someone who is also moving to Oz but at a later date (when hopefully the exchange rate is better) they change it with all their money when they move(hence no tax ) and then give it back to you when they arrive in Oz. Job done. Just don't give it all back in one lump sum.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Give your money to someone who is also moving to Oz but at a later date (when hopefully the exchange rate is better) they change it with all their money when they move(hence no tax ) and then give it back to you when they arrive in Oz. Job done. Just don't give it all back in one lump sum.
blooming heck. It would have to be somebody you really trusted. Personally I wouldnt take the risk :scared:

Tracey
Old Oct 6th 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

So, should we:

Transfer enough to keep you for a while, and if it goes anywhere near the $2.40 mark i would go for it and transfer the lot.

My wife and i had a conversation about this last night and as we are away to start buying a plot of land and building if we get anywhere near that 2.4 we are going to take the lot over.

Just wish we had done it 5 months ago when we were getting $2.45!!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Robmichellef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Transfer enough to keep you for a while, and if it goes anywhere near the $2.40 mark i would go for it and transfer the lot.

My wife and i had a conversation about this last night and as we are away to start buying a plot of land and building if we get anywhere near that 2.4 we are going to take the lot over.

Just wish we had done it 5 months ago when we were getting $2.45!!!

wow...$2.45 the things dreams are made of!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.