Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate musings

Exchange rate musings

Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Exchange rate musings

Hi guys

I seem to remember that late December/early Jan LAST year (ie, Dec 07/early Jan 08) the exchange rate was about the same as it is now - about 1.98 dollars to the pound.
I remember because my brother who lives in Oz was over here for Xmas 07 and wanted to transfer UK pounds to Oz and I said not to cos the rate was awful.
But am I dreaming? No one I speak to remembers it being that low this time last year but I could swear it was!

Any predictions re; what the exchange rate will do if the Bank of England cuts the UK base rate again on Thursday as they are expected to do? Plummet further?

Also, one last question on exchange rates if I may.
Why is the exchange rate in the UK newspapers always lower than the rate quoted on internet currency converters? Expedia.co.uk currency converter is today showing 2.044 exhange rate but one of the UK papers is showing 1.99. I know the papers are a day behind but there is always this difference even taking this into account.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate musings

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi guys

I seem to remember that late December/early Jan LAST year (ie, Dec 07/early Jan 08) the exchange rate was about the same as it is now - about 1.98 dollars to the pound.
I remember because my brother who lives in Oz was over here for Xmas 07 and wanted to transfer UK pounds to Oz and I said not to cos the rate was awful.
But am I dreaming? No one I speak to remembers it being that low this time last year but I could swear it was!

Any predictions re; what the exchange rate will do if the Bank of England cuts the UK base rate again on Thursday as they are expected to do? Plummet further?

Also, one last question on exchange rates if I may.
Why is the exchange rate in the UK newspapers always lower than the rate quoted on internet currency converters? Expedia.co.uk currency converter is today showing 2.044 exhange rate but one of the UK papers is showing 1.99. I know the papers are a day behind but there is always this difference even taking this into account.
The newspaper may be quoting the tourist rate Which is lower than the exchange rate.

G