Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate confusion

Exchange rate confusion

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchange rate confusion

Doesn't make sense to me, but looking in the Daily Express, the exchange rate has been around the $2.30 ish area, but looking at this site

www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

the exchange rate today is $2.45!!

Can anyone shed any light on this??
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate confusion

Originally posted by carlos1340
Doesn't make sense to me, but looking in the Daily Express, the exchange rate has been around the $2.30 ish area, but looking at this site

The rate in the Express is the tourist rate which is always lower then the actual exchange rate.

Gravyman
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:40 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate confusion

Carlos your probably looking at the tourist rates. For large money transactions look at Oanada or HIFX.
Apparently the rate you get is not quite as good as those advertised but you will get pretty close to it.

Cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that!

Not quite as depressing as I thought, it's quite scary how much money you can lose by a couple of cents!!:lecture:
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 8:35 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that!

Not quite as depressing as I thought, it's quite scary how much money you can lose by a couple of cents!!:lecture:
..say the interbank rate is at 2.44 - HIFX will give you 2.43
I think if you have £500k or more you get an even better rate
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 10:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Here is a link to HIFX and its updated every 10 seconds I think.

As maxpaxx said, you won't get that rate, but not too far off.

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 10:15 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Here is a link to HIFX and its updated every 10 seconds I think.

As maxpaxx said, you won't get that rate, but not too far off.
I've been watching it at http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=100&s=GBP&t=AUD&c=0 for a little while. Currently 2.45 but the good news is that it's heading upwards! Good news if you're not going for a while anyway (I need that to cheer me up so please don't take that away from me!).

From being about 2.70 early last year, it bottomed at about 2.30 before Christmas. Hoping for 2.70 again by the time I (finally) get there
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:12 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

The rate actually peaked at 2.4802 last Monday. Unfortunately that was in the Aus day, we got just under 2.46 the following morning. Better than 2.30 but not the 2.85 of Jan 03