Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Excess baggage/removals

Excess baggage/removals

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:29 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Excess baggage/removals

Anyone used excess baggage ?
I see they have a banner on the site.
Have done a search and can't find many mentions of them.
We are sending about 15-20 tea chests no furniture, anyone done similar ?

Thanks

Kevin
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice
Default Re: Excess baggage/removals

Originally Posted by kevinl
Anyone used excess baggage ?
I see they have a banner on the site.
Have done a search and can't find many mentions of them.
We are sending about 15-20 tea chests no furniture, anyone done similar ?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I posted a while back asking about Excess Baggage, if you do a search for Excess Baggage you should find my thread (I don't know how to post the link). I had them out a while ago to do a quote and also asked John Mason for their quote.

Excess Baggage were cheaper and I was impressed with their rep. He has since phoned me and sent an e-mail to ask if we are ready to ship, John Mason have left us alone.

I am happy to go with either. Both companies have good reports on this site.

It will be interesting to see if any new replies appear from your thread.

Hazel
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

Just a thought whilst reading this thread.
Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to send stuff to Australia. I have been on various websites for quotes and you have to fill in a long list ie how many sofas, beds, boxes etc.,
We havent a clue what to take and what to leave because at the end of the day it all amounts to cost.
What is the average people are spending on sending personal things (no furniture)? Does anyone take the entire contents of their house?
Just wondering if it cost £2,000 or £10,000? Havent any idea!
Getting ready to put house on the market and keep looking round wondering if we should take this or that, or just buy new over there.

I
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

griffinfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Haven't posted for a while been v busy moving to australia we landed 27 aug to see my sister and family after 2 years, anyway getting to the point we have used excess baggage they packed all our bits and bobs, cds dvds computer, x-box etc total 79 cubic feet it cost 770 pounds including insurance well packed, it will arrive in australia on 18th Sept they packed for us on 9th Aug not sure when it left england think around 18th Aug.
Will let you know how it goes!
Just enjoying the ozzy wine!
Cheers for now!

Nicky and Kev
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:36 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WacandJill
Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to send stuff to Australia. I have been on various websites for quotes and you have to fill in a long list ie how many sofas, beds, boxes etc.,
We havent a clue what to take and what to leave because at the end of the day it all amounts to cost.
What is the average people are spending on sending personal things (no furniture)? Does anyone take the entire contents of their house?
Getting ready to put house on the market and keep looking round wondering if we should take this or that, or just buy new over there.

I
We're taking most things, volume is 672cuft and costing just about £3110.

HTH
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:57 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
I posted a while back asking about Excess Baggage, if you do a search for Excess Baggage you should find my thread (I don't know how to post the link). I had them out a while ago to do a quote and also asked John Mason for their quote.
Hi

I've just checked their website and there is an online quote form where you have to specify the amount of space required etc. Is it still possible to have someone out for a quote and can they do it while the things are still in use and not all packed?

Apologies for the dumb questions but I've only just contemplated shipping instead of selling sofas etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:02 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WacandJill

I
Taking the contents of the house. PSS are coming in for two days to fill a 20' container and basically they do everything for you. Total cost £3500 including my blessed motorbike thats door to door.

The way we looked at it, if you add up the value of everything you have, to replace is really quite :scared: and we'd spend much more on new again...
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:04 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Comer
Hi

I've just checked their website and there is an online quote form where you have to specify the amount of space required etc. Is it still possible to have someone out for a quote and can they do it while the things are still in use and not all packed?

Apologies for the dumb questions but I've only just contemplated shipping instead of selling sofas etc.
Yes, rep from JM visited us, went room by room and put all items into a little palm pilot thing to give volume.

They were the only ones who could be arsed to send a rep.... the others could barely be bothered to send an email or pick up the phone!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear someone has mentioned the motor bike. Do you have to pay tax or something on taking it over there - like somesort of duty? Sorry for being so stupid.
My other half has a trike which is apparently the love of his life (not me?) and we thought we would get alot more use out of it in Australia than we have over here in the UK. But unfortunately someone has told him it would cost absolutely thousands to send it over, and cost somesort of tax on top, so I have persuaded him to sell it, and buy another over there if necessary.

Seems a shame to sell it here, if the cost isnt that much.