Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

excess baggage info

excess baggage info

Old Apr 8th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough
Default excess baggage info

Hello just found a website excessbaggage.com if you are like us and have left packing until the last minute and realise that you are 15kg over, there is a excess baggage office at heathrow airport and you can take a suitcase there weighing up to 25kg and get it sent to oz, it takes 7-10 days and for london to perth its £160 thats with you picking it up from the airport, if you want it delievered its £210. much cheaper than paying the airline £30 per kg!!!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of
Default Re: excess baggage info

Originally Posted by jonjelly
Hello just found a website excessbaggage.com if you are like us and have left packing until the last minute and realise that you are 15kg over, there is a excess baggage office at heathrow airport and you can take a suitcase there weighing up to 25kg and get it sent to oz, it takes 7-10 days and for london to perth its £160 thats with you picking it up from the airport, if you want it delievered its £210. much cheaper than paying the airline £30 per kg!!!
Alot of airlines allow you to have extra weight if you are only going oneway. I was told that you must specify/clear it with the airline first though!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough

yes we have double baggage allowance and we are still over!!! opppssss
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonjelly
yes we have double baggage allowance and we are still over!!! opppssss
Chuck it in the bin - it's cheaper
Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

£30 per kilo?! Which airline is that with?
We are over our allowance, I'm frantically trying to find out what Malaysia Airlines will charge us. Have got rid of a few things, given some away, binned others.... but if the charges aren't that bad then I'll just pay. But at £30/kg we might be forking out £300!!
We already have our tickets, they were booked for us through an agent, so they don't specify any extra allowance. But we will be migrating one way, with unvalidated visas in our passports... I wonder if they'll let us off? I just don't want to end up dumping a load of clothes in an airport bin!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:15 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
We are over our allowance, I'm frantically trying to find out what Malaysia Airlines will charge us. Have got rid of a few things, given some away, binned others.... but if the charges aren't that bad then I'll just pay. But at £30/kg we might be forking out £300!!
We already have our tickets, they were booked for us through an agent, so they don't specify any extra allowance. But we will be migrating one way, with unvalidated visas in our passports... I wonder if they'll let us off? I just don't want to end up dumping a load of clothes in an airport bin!
they may not let you off, my OH posted some clothes in a box to his work address as he had too much!! worked out a lot cheaper and took 6 days

Kim
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
they may not let you off, my OH posted some clothes in a box to his work address as he had too much!! worked out a lot cheaper and took 6 days

Kim
Not a bad idea.... I wonder if we could just go to the post office and fill up a box with clothes.... The thing is that if we posted enough to make a difference to our baggage weight (need to get rid of about 5kg I reckon) then it would probably cost a fair bit to post too.... although in all probability less than the excess baggage charges.... Why is nothing ever simple?!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Don't mean to be a party pooper but I am sure I have read somewhere on this site that Malaysia are the only Airline that DON'T allow excess baggage. . I could be wrong though!!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Don't mean to be a party pooper but I am sure I have read somewhere on this site that Malaysia are the only Airline that DON'T allow excess baggage. . I could be wrong though!!
Well on their website it says to call them to get the costs for excess baggage.... so it would appear that they do! But of course there's no-one answering the phones over the bank holiday weekend, so got to wait til Tues.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:01 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad idea.... I wonder if we could just go to the post office and fill up a box with clothes.... The thing is that if we posted enough to make a difference to our baggage weight (need to get rid of about 5kg I reckon) then it would probably cost a fair bit to post too.... although in all probability less than the excess baggage charges.... Why is nothing ever simple?!
we worked it out that it was less than half the excess baggage charges sent all clothes. He wanted his hi fi

Kim
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Well on their website it says to call them to get the costs for excess baggage.... so it would appear that they do! But of course there's no-one answering the phones over the bank holiday weekend, so got to wait til Tues.
Sorry - I worded that wrong - What I meant was they don't allow the extra allowance as a free-be if you are only going one way. Some will give you a double allowance if you are not coming back!

They were quite lenient(I don't think thats spelt right - but you know what I mean) with us last year when we flew with them in april with 2 kids - we were over abit and they didn't charge us. I don't know if it's what all airlines do - but when they checked our bags in - they added them all up and made an allowance for some bags being under and some bags being over - No extra allowance for cabin luggage though - VERY strict on the 5kg or lighter!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:38 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

You might just be ok... I just flew back with Malaysia, and though the tickets state that you can only take 20 kg, the guy I checked in with said they actually allow up to 25 kg, so if you have an extra 5 kg each, you may just about scrape through!

Definitely check first though, before you take the hearsay evidence of a random internet poster as gospel...

S
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We were well over on our baggage, flying with Malaysian. Got away with it at Heathrow, but in Kuala Lumpa I had to pay £150 to get the bags taken. Worth remembering you may be treated differently on the various legs of your flight.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh bugger bugger bugger....... I've given away some things but I'm sure we're still over the limit.
We are going 'club class' (business) so we're supposed to be allowed two pieces of hand luggage of 5kg or less each. But Heathrow will only let you have one piece of carry-on. So how does that work?! Can we each have one piece of carryon that weighs 10 when we go through security, then separate it in to two bits of 5kg each when we have to get on the plane? If not then what is the point of the extra allowance for business class? Rubbish!! :curse:
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:28 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bugger bugger bugger....... I've given away some things but I'm sure we're still over the limit.
We are going 'club class' (business) so we're supposed to be allowed two pieces of hand luggage of 5kg or less each. But Heathrow will only let you have one piece of carry-on. So how does that work?! Can we each have one piece of carryon that weighs 10 when we go through security, then separate it in to two bits of 5kg each when we have to get on the plane? If not then what is the point of the extra allowance for business class? Rubbish!! :curse:
They don't weigh the bags at security, so it could have all the lead from a church roof in it for all they cared about weight. The rules are that you are only allowed to take one piece of hand luggage through security, and that everything you are carrying should fit in it.

I think it's really unfair on people who want to take their laptops with them but also a small bag with some personal effects for the flight. If you read the guff on the BAA site, it says that everything must fit inside one piece of luggage, so as mass isn't an issue, I guess there's nothing stopping you getting a reasonably sized 'disposeable' bag from the market, placing your laptop bag and effects bag in it for security, then binning it afterwards.

Not quite sure if a bin bag would suffice, but you get the idea...

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Apr 9th 2007 at 8:32 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.