Reload this Page >

Ex Squaddie struggling on the Gold Coast

Ex Squaddie struggling on the Gold Coast

Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

trojanRE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex Squaddie struggling on the Gold Coast

Hey guys,

This is aimed more at any expats that currently live on the Gold Coast.

Me my wife and 2 kids aged 7,5 currently live in Coomera Springs, Upper Coomera. Its a brand new house in a nice area, however we've been here since June and still haven't really made any friends. The friends we have made a kiwis through our local CrossFit gym and they tend to let you down alot.

The english friends we have made are a great laugh and we always have a great time when together it's just that they're all so spread out.

I recently left the british army after 12 years so I'm struggling big time with the new pace of life and working from home as a project manager, so Im trying to cure the boredom by doing some PT and outdoor classes, but still really struggle to make Aussie friends as I find it really hard to talk to them for more than 10 mins before they have nothing to say.

My wife's finding it really hard to get work. She was a teacher Aide at a british school in Germany and very experienced then we got here and no school is interested as she hasn't got a level 3 over here, so we've had to fork out $1500 for her to do that.

My jobs been a pain in the ass too. I'm on a 457 through an ex squaddies company but i've been paid so badly since we've lived here as the companies had problems. Like i'm still owed $1800 from last month and still not been paid this month, so the move and this has left us skint!

Basically we feel if we lived in a more communal area possibly around more brits we'd feel more at home as we stuggled big time this christmas and new year. We want to settle in Australia and don't want to look back in a years time still feeling miserable and that we'd made the wrong decision.

If there's anyone out there who can advise on a good area that might feel more like home for us we'd really appreciate it. Also any ex squaddies out there that can sympathise with my current situation and have any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks guys and happy 2014
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex Squaddie struggling on the Gold Coast

I cannot help with the areas to live in but i am sure someone will be along shortly that can.

I just wanted to comment on the rest of your situation, particularly perhaps you could focus on sorting out the job and visa situation. Your current temporary visa is exactly that, temporary and you should always be ready to have to uproot and move back whilst you are on this visa. I am not sure it is even wise to gt too settled on a 457.

As you want to settle and stay, perhaps you should look into permanent visas. In turn, this might help you to secure a more stable job. I would also consider something not working at home, that could be a little isolating for a new migrant.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

all i can suggest is see if there are some social events though the schools your kids go to.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Try the meetup.com website for the Gold Coast and/or Brisbane, there are family groups as well as exercise and all sorts of other things.

As others have said, you need to sort out the pay you are owed, because you can't move to another area without money, and that may not solve the situation. It does take time to settle, and it can be a tough process. Can you wife look for supply education assistant jobs? There's tough competition (in Perth) for education assistant jobs, very popular with mums as they can work school hours and get all the holidays off. Some of them aren't qualified either. Can she look for work in childcare centres, perhaps the non-profit ones?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Scoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really nice

hey mate - its a hard situation. To be honest I dont find Australian people difficult to get to know at all in fact the opposite. Also living in a more British area might not be the answer either. The economy on the Gold Coast can be different to say that of Brisbane and can make finding work harder. I would defo cocentrate my efforts on sorting out your current job situ as you are on a temp visa and this could be an issue. I hope you find a few local mates soon and I wish you all the best!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoult
hey mate - its a hard situation. To be honest I dont find Australian people difficult to get to know at all in fact the opposite. Also living in a more British area might not be the answer either. The economy on the Gold Coast can be different to say that of Brisbane and can make finding work harder. I would defo cocentrate my efforts on sorting out your current job situ as you are on a temp visa and this could be an issue. I hope you find a few local mates soon and I wish you all the best!

Whilst it can take time to find new friends going to live in an all English scene can also be problematic...

you might also be suffering from a bit of demob shock...
which Australia does not always fix.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, sorry to hear that you are struggling to settle. I live in Canberra so there isn't much I can do to help other than type supportive words.

One option might be the last thing you want to do but I'll suggest it anyway: have you thought about joining the Australian defence forces? http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recrui...ants/army.aspx

You might find it to ber the answer to all your problems: A pernanent visa, a steady regular paying job and a supportive community.

Good luck to you - whatever you decide.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:08 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lateral transfer social group on Facebook which will have expat squaddies on it who have moved to Brisbane and surrounding areas, not sure which regiments may be in or near the GC. Jenny from NI (forget her username)who is on here runs it.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:12 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trojanRE
Hey guys,

My jobs been a pain in the ass too. I'm on a 457 through an ex squaddies company but i've been paid so badly since we've lived here as the companies had problems. Like i'm still owed $1800 from last month and still not been paid this month, so the move and this has left us skint!
This rings alarm bells for me. Having ex squaddie mates to set you up here on a 457 is good, but, if they are not meeting their wage requirements it could spell issues with huge overheads and thus affect their capability to provide long term sponsorship. All it takes is for one fellow employee to complain to DIAC and they could be suspended from sponsoring and you might have to return and if they do a runner it will be at your own cost.
I suggest you identify PR opportunities or another stable 457 employer at the earliest opportunity.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Angel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud of

Hi, I'm down the road on genesis, I rarely come on here but if your wife wants to meet for a coffee just pm me. We moved over nearly a year ago & have a 9,7,3 year olds. We have settled brilliantly & have made lots of friends. You wife will find school easiest way to meet friends & eventually husbands meet up & before you know it you have a network . Good luck
Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I thought the Aussies were great to get to know in Brisbane, more so then the Brits!!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Angel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud of

Hi, spoke to hubby & if you all want to meet up with kids etc that's fine with us?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The OP went offline immediately after posting and hasn't been back since
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Cheers, No prob, thought I'd try & help out.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Angel77
Cheers, No prob, thought I'd try & help out.
I'm sure the OP will be back sooner or later

Top marks to you for extending the hand of friendship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.