Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The ex......he says no!!!!

Wikiposts

The ex......he says no!!!!

Old May 18th 2004, 11:55 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Salli
I guess that the decision is still with you...you have to decide whether you want to be on the other side of the world from your son. If your ex won't give up his rights and you still want to go, then I guess you will have to give up yours

Originally posted by Alborg
You could always emmigrate to Oz without your son if it meant that much to you.

this is exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread.

Guess it depends on which means more - the dream or the child.

Alternatively could it be an option to leave the child behind for a couple or few years until the new life in OZ is established?

Child lives in UK with father and comes out to OZ for summer (winter) hols and then eventually the chuld could move out to OZ and have hols in UK instead of the other way around.
Old May 18th 2004, 11:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

God what a tangled web we all live

Not on my high horse here, but if i split up from my hubby and he saw the kids every weekend along with his family, i couldn't even contemplate taking them away from their family

No offence intended to any of you, i just know what my heart would tell me to do......
Old May 19th 2004, 12:24 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by krissy
Hiya again all,

The situation is basically this,
Callum is 4 and he sees his father and paternal grandparents auntie and cousin every weekend. As far as that goes he is close to his father and other relatives. I fully understand his position, and both myself and my husband said that we would probably have felt the same put in the same situation.
He is however having probs in his own new marriage and has just had a child with his new wife. This i imagine wont help things for him, he will be feeling very unsure about his future generally.
I don't want to drag him through court as i feel it would turn into a slanging match and i know what solicitors are like, one will make out i'm a bad mother and the other will make out he's a bad father.....etc. The animosity that would result would be unbearable for all of us. This is why we asked him to do the affidavit. However he has made his decision based not just on what he feels but also how it would affect his parents and other family members not having Callum with them here(totally understandable).
The annoying thing about it all is that his decision regarding his son actually affects all of us not just Callum. Our future in his hands, as it were.
I don't think that the fathers should be painted as the bad guys, they have rights too. If he was an absent parent, basic waste of space etc i would be a hell of a lot more upset than i am now, however he's a good dad and i have given him ample time to mull it over. I told him at Christmas what our plans were. I didn't push him for a decision.
My hubby has a job offer and we have got State Nomination to Victoria, we have looked at housing and the rest we would have looked into further into the application process....schools etc once we knew which area we would be living in.
We aren't doing this on a whim, i have two small children to consider and have thought it over carefully.
Well, dream over really.......just annoys me that one person has that power.
Kris
Thanks for making the details clear. I can see both points of view. It's an emotive issue. Callum has a right to see all of his relatives, your family and his father's, and at his present age it would probably affect him badly to be separated from either. Perhaps you might defer leaving for a few years? Or even sharing custody of your son on a 50/50 basis? Maybe when Callum is a bit older he can decide for himself if he wants to emigrate with you - but the decision should be his, not yours or your ex's.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:44 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The ex......he says no!!!!

Originally posted by gary2rep
Kris, get yourself a good family solicitor, we've just won a court case for us to take my fiance's daughter (from her previous boyfriend) to oz if we get accepted. He took us twice to court and on the third occassion he finally gave in. So long as you've done all your research regarding school, home, lifestyle and regular contact with dad i can't see him having a case, so long as you're bieng reasonable, i can't see there bieng a problem.
Best of luck

Gary
Gary, did you ever consider the suffering that you have imposed on your fiance's ex by taking his child away from him? I'm sorry, but I think your attitude is totally wrong. Maybe you don't have kids of your own? In that case, you wouldn't understand just how wrong. I'm a mother, not a father, but I know if I were in that situation I could never hurt my ex to the extent of taking away a child that means the world to him. And what about the child being denied access to her father? How would your fiance be feeling if it had been the other way round? To me your attitude seems incredibly selfish. Luckily Krissie isn't like you and I hope she doesn't take your advice.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OH MY GOD!! i just had a banner pop up saying "the national fatherhoods initiative""
Fek me big brother IS watching:scared: :scared:
Old May 19th 2004, 3:43 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by hevs
OH MY GOD!! i just had a banner pop up saying "the national fatherhoods initiative""
Fek me big brother IS watching:scared: :scared:

To many paint fumes with all that renovating me thinks Hevs.
Old May 19th 2004, 5:29 pm
High in the Dandenongs

no mate, seriously. Keep and eye on the banners, its spooky:scared:
Old May 19th 2004, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

BorgUK1of9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Made interesting reading.

Im a Dad of 2 wonderful little boys, one from my first marriage the other from my current.

My ex-wife (of 4.5 years) asked me 6 months ago out of the blue for permission to take my eldest to Oz with her, if I was an absent father then I really would have had no grounds for objection but Im not.
He has more of a family unit with me, my partner (of 4 years) and his half-brother (2 years) than he does with my ex-wife. The 2 brothers adore each other.

Anyway I have of course refused and now I find shes seeking legal aid to take me to court. I am of course responding along with the rest of his extended family (including his only Great Grandmother).

I am sick of the father being seen and classed as a second class citizen, especially in these supposed enlightened times.
It is refreshing to see in these messages some women that recognise that a dads involvement in a childs upbringing is just as important as the mothers.

But at the end of the day, it should always come down for what is best for the children and in my case 2 brothers growing up on opposite sides of the world from each other is not in their best interests. If she wants to go, then gives us full custody.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BorgUK1of9
Made interesting reading.

Im a Dad of 2 wonderful little boys, one from my first marriage the other from my current.

My ex-wife (of 4.5 years) asked me 6 months ago out of the blue for permission to take my eldest to Oz with her, if I was an absent father then I really would have had no grounds for objection but Im not.
He has more of a family unit with me, my partner (of 4 years) and his half-brother (2 years) than he does with my ex-wife. The 2 brothers adore each other.

Anyway I have of course refused and now I find shes seeking legal aid to take me to court. I am of course responding along with the rest of his extended family (including his only Great Grandmother).

I am sick of the father being seen and classed as a second class citizen, especially in these supposed enlightened times.
It is refreshing to see in these messages some women that recognise that a dads involvement in a childs upbringing is just as important as the mothers.

But at the end of the day, it should always come down for what is best for the children and in my case 2 brothers growing up on opposite sides of the world from each other is not in their best interests. If she wants to go, then gives us full custody.
Hope you get on alright - if she can afford to move to aus she shouldn't be allowed legal aid.

Are you thinking of going as well or just looking here to see what is going on in migration world?
Old May 19th 2004, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

BorgUK1of9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shes just been over there for a month, supposedly as a hoilday but it was quite obvious she was looking for a place to live etc.

I certainly couldnt afford that trip, the cost and the length of time off work would cripple me. So yes one of things I have asked is for us to challenge her right to legal aid.

Oh - I just noticed the question.

Im an ex-expat, I lived and worked in europe for a few years, coming back to see my son every other weekend. My partner is dutch and my other son ex-dutch. I used to frequent this site a few years ago

Last edited by BorgUK1of9; May 20th 2004 at 1:28 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:47 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BorgUK1of9
So yes one of things I have asked is for us to challenge her right to legal aid.
Good luck

Old May 20th 2004, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask all your opinions on my situation?

A few years ago I worked in Aus for a year and decided that I wanted to live there. I came back to the UK to finish my studying and I now have enough points.

I now also have a wonderful 3 year old daughter - When she was born her father did not want anything to do with her and refused to go on the birth certificate (don't think I am going to have problems with the visa as we where not married)

last year I (VERY STUPIDLY) went to the CSA and he now pays maintance, but has since made MY life HELL and is being really horrible (even telling my daughter that it was my fault he did not see her)

He now (since I went to the CSA) speaks to my daughter 3 times a week on the phone and visits occasionally (about once a month). He says he would visit more often if I let him take her out for the day - I have refused on the basis that she has to get to know him first (and I don't trust him)

My daughter loves him and loves speaking to him on the phone and loves seeing him when he visits.

I am three months into my skills assessment - should I stay or go?

Last edited by jana1; May 20th 2004 at 2:33 am.
Old May 20th 2004, 2:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Jana

Does he have to agree? and will he?

Good luck

G
Old May 20th 2004, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

He does not HAVE to agree as we are not married and he is not on my daughters birth certificate.

If I asked he would not agree out of spite....

I am just trying to work out what is the right thing to do.
Old May 20th 2004, 2:52 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Its a difficult situation jana. From what you've said you've just got to decide whether he genuinely loves your daughter, and always will. If so and she's happy to see him, then possibly you need to put that first. If he's the sort that wont love your daughter as he should then he's a bum and doesn't deserve her.

Its a real toughie, and there's no way I'd consider telling you what to do, you'll always know the situation best, but best of luck, and I really hope it works out for you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.