Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ex-Australian cricketer David Hookes assaulted; in coma

Ex-Australian cricketer David Hookes assaulted; in coma

Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paulf
Well I thought it was funny, Remember this is a forum and a little light humour does no harm whatsoever.
I did,nt find it disrespectful either, personal attacks maybe but not this.
Well, as I said paul it wasn't really intended to be funny but you are right in what you say too. Dave seems to like making the sort of point he did too which is fair enough in this forum but just don't go accusing me of something I'm not. I saw 'Hooksy' play many times and it is a terrible thing that happened.

OzTennis
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:43 am
WBB

it was a little savoury but dave is just a troll, ignore him.

Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:09 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

whilst i dont think it was said in bad taste i did think it was a very clever play on words.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 7:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...360724472.html

Hookes has now died. Looks like the bouncer will be up for murder.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...360724472.html

Hookes has now died. Looks like the bouncer will be up for murder.
Are most of the Melbourne bouncers, like the one arrested, of Yugoslav extraction?

I've come accross a few of these blokes and many of them are nasty pieces of work.

The huge Maori bouncers, although hard, seem to be more fair.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
Are most of the Melbourne bouncers, like the one arrested, of Yugoslav extraction?

I've come accross a few of these blokes and many of them are nasty pieces of work.

The huge Maori bouncers, although hard, seem to be more fair.
Most Sydney bouncers are Mauri or Islanders. They are friendly people, especially for bouncers.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Most Sydney bouncers are Mauri or Islanders. They are friendly people, especially for bouncers.
I only know one bouncer in melbourne but he is a top bloke and I laughed when someone said he was bouncing as he has no ego at all. He's still a huge guy and broke his hand recently when five blokes jumped him, guy he worked with ran off apparently

And yes he did batter all the people that jumped him. Stepped up
Old Jan 19th 2004, 1:16 pm
Dave234

Originally posted by welshboybilly
it was a little savoury but dave is just a troll, ignore him.

hmmmmmmm, a welshman insulted me, i wonder what insult i should use back, its so difficult with so many things to choose to from - stupid stupid welshman

Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:11 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Dave234
hmmmmmmm, a welshman insulted me, i wonder what insult i should use back, its so difficult with so many things to choose to from - stupid stupid welshman
you are taking your time dave234

Old Jan 19th 2004, 6:08 pm
Dave234

Originally posted by welshboybilly
you are taking your time dave234

be patient - im still sorting thorugh the many thousand's of possibilites:lecture:

Old Jan 19th 2004, 6:45 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Dave234
be patient - im still sorting thorugh the many thousand's of possibilites:lecture:
ready when you are!

Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:26 pm
Dave234

I think il let u off. the choice is far too great and i havent got time to choose my favourite - have a nice day

Old Jan 19th 2004, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Jibe may have sparked attack
By Michael Warner
http://www.news.com.au
January 20, 2004

AN offensive jibe to the partner of a Victorian cricket player may have been the event that turned a quiet Sunday celebration to tragedy.

Minutes earlier life couldn't have been any better for Victorian cricket coach David Hookes.

The former Test star and rising media personality was celebrating another hard-fought Bushrangers victory in the company of great mates Darren Lehmann, Darren Berry and Wayne Phillips.

Players from both the Victorian and South Australian teams had gathered for a few beers at the Beaconsfield Hotel in St Kilda, just hours after the finish of their nail-biting ING Cup clash at the MCG.

Patrons said there was nothing unruly about the group's behaviour and recalled seeing a smiling Hookes sitting in a corner, locked in deep discussion about matters of bat and ball.

"There was no sign of agro in the place whatsoever ... everyone was just having a drink and a dance," a witness said yesterday.

But the night turned ugly about 11pm when Hookes, known and loved for his straight-shooting style, overheard a remark made towards the girlfriend of one of his players by a hotel crowd controller.

Hookes is believed to have shared a few sharp words with a man before departing at closing with a group of about 10 friends.

The dispute spilled out on to the street, with three bouncers allegedly following Hookes and the group, including Berry and Lehmann, about 70m down the road.

Neighbours say they were woken by shouting and screaming and reported seeing the two groups pushing and shoving on the road.

One witness said he saw Lehmann being held in a head-lock as a woman screamed: "Just let him go."

A Cowderoy St resident said he then heard someone say, "You want to play smart mouth, now face the music", before a punch sent Hookes to the ground and the cricket world into mourning.

"He wound up and landed it directly on the guy's face, somewhere near his jaw or nose," the man said. "I heard a really loud cracking sound ... the guy just fell backwards and smashed his head on the road."

Hookes lay unconscious and motionless on the street, surrounded by distraught friends who held his hand and tried desperately to wake him.

One witness interviewed by police said he saw one man acknowledge the punch to Hookes with a "footy tap on the bum" as the trio wandered off and returned to the bayside hotel.

"It looked like this was a tough-guy thing," he said.

Police arrived on the scene within minutes and began performing CPR as the 48-year-old cricket legend went into cardiac arrest.

He "technically died" before being revived by paramedics who worked on him for almost 35 minutes.

Paramedic Marcus Stacey said it was a traumatic scene to attend. "When it became apparent who the patient was, having that person as a childhood hero, yeah ... it does make it a little bit challenging," he said.

Hookes was taken to the nearby Alfred Hospital, suffering severe head injuries.

Berry, Phillips, Lehmann and wife Robyn kept a bedside vigil throughout the night and well into yesterday, while police arrested 21-year-old crowd controller Zdravco Micevic. He faced court yesterday and was released on bail.

Hookes was said by his closest friends to have been in the prime of his life, revelling in Victoria's new-found on-field success and a growing media career. Just two weeks ago he oversaw the side's record-breaking 455-run last innings Pura Cup victory over NSW.

Recently regarded as the competition's easy-beats, the win moved the Bushrangers well clear of their nearest rivals on the Pura Cup table and into the box seat to host a home final at the MCG next month.

The South Australian run-machine moved to Melbourne to join the 3AW team in 1995 - sitting alongside great mate and former Melbourne and Swans star Gerard Healy on the top-rating Sports Today program.

He surprised many by agreeing to take on the Victorian state cricket team job in May 2002 - triggering an almost instant revival.

Hookes' first love was cricket but he also reserved a soft spot for football, running for the Fitzroy Football Club during the 1996 AFL season.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Bouncers 'need federal control'
January 20, 2004

THE federal government should introduce national standards for pub bouncers, a leading criminologist said today following the death of former test cricketer David Hookes.

The nation's peak security industry body, Australian Security Industry Association Ltd (ASIAL), also called for uniform national standards after the 48-year-old Victorian cricket coach was fatally bashed, allegedly by a pub bouncer, in Melbourne.

Dr Tim Prenzler, head of Griffith University's school of criminology and criminal justice, said bouncer training was questionable outside NSW, even though private security staff increasingly usurped the police role.

"It (federal standards) should be for the whole security industry including bouncers or, as they're called now, crowd controllers or patron protectors," said Dr Prenzler, who includes pub security among his research specialities.

"It would ensure there was a common standard across the country.

"It should also attract more commonwealth government financial support if they initiated it because they have the money.

"It would ensure that there weren't what we might call recalcitrant states or areas where there's a lower standard where people with a predisposition towards misconduct could find work."

ASIAL called for security and licensing regulation through state registries operated by police.

"The current reviews of security legislation in most state jurisdictions around the country is an ideal opportunity to introduce a consistent national regime," ASIAL said in a statement.

Australian Democrats Senator Natasha Stott Despoja called for a national investigation into pub security following the weekend tragedy.

Attorney-General Philip Ruddock's spokesman did not rule out such an inquiry if the states and territories initiated it through the Council of Australian Governments.

"In terms of a national inquiry, it's a matter for individual state governments and you would need to have the agreement of every state and territory government for it to have any impact," the spokesman said.

Treasurer Peter Costello also called for tighter controls on bouncers, suggesting licensed venues be shut down after three incidents of violence.

Dr Prenzler questioned how effective bouncers were in keeping the peace when Australian Institute of Criminology research found one third of men and more than one quarter of women fell victim to alcohol-related violence in a year.

The research found 33.2 per cent of men and 28.1 per cent of women experienced a physical or verbal assault or were frightened by an alcohol-affected person outside the home.

Dr Prenzler said Victoria had been in the nation's forefront in legislating to improve the industry in 1990s after a decade of escalating hotel violence.

NSW, Western Australia and South Australia now had the most comprehensive industry regulation, he said.

"Pretty much with the exception of NSW, there's a big question mark still over the quality of training," he said.

AAP