Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is everyone in Australia crooked?

Is everyone in Australia crooked?

Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:15 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is everyone in Australia crooked?

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Watch it

We'll duff yer up when you get to Brisbane
Phoenix - because I actually agree with most of your posts, you will have the privilage (??) of being my last reply whilst in the UK - here it is...

no point to the post....

just this.....

if you're lucky I might make our first reply in Australia to one of your posts too!

Toodle pip everyone - see you on the other 'side'

Rob & Sam
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:18 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Phoenix - because I actually agree with most of your posts, you will have the privilage (??) of being my last reply whilst in the UK - here it is...

no point to the post....

just this.....

if you're lucky I might make our first reply in Australia to one of your posts too!

Toodle pip everyone - see you on the other 'side'

Rob & Sam
LOL...have a safe journey. Enjoy the flight.....and we'll keep the weather nice for ya

And............no fighting on the plane with Sam.....wait till you get here please

Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:23 pm
blossom

Not sure what you mean by that Blossom? Do you mean you can make more decisions at work when working for Aus government than when working for UK government?

What I meant was its definitely more of a 'jobsworth' working in UK, mountains of paperwork rules, regs, policies etc etc. There is no commonsense approach to anything (well not in my area of work anyway). To much beauracracy for my liking.

Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:26 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by blossom
What I meant was its definitely more of a 'jobsworth' working in UK, mountains of paperwork rules, regs, policies etc etc. There is no commonsense approach to anything (well not in my area of work anyway). To much beauracracy for my liking.
Ahhh I see. So maybe everywhere is the same then eh

Actually I was saying to hubby that although it's beaurocratic here, at least things seem to get done. Or maybe it's my rose coloured glasses tainting the picture cos we love it here

One thing I have noticed here....is there's loads of places to park and the traffic wardens don't bother as much / don't have the Hitler mentality [soz OP....slightly off topic I'm afraid]. What's really funny is I spent my first few weeks looking for parking meters everywhere I parked and Aussie people would look at me daft for wanting to pay for parking...lol...I was paranoid about getting a ticket and even though we didn't need tickets I still used to to keep an eye on the time....bloody UK parking turns you into bloody parking meter maid

In 8 months I can only think of having paid for parking once And that was in the middle of town.

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Mar 18th 2005 at 4:31 pm.

Old Mar 18th 2005, 5:21 pm
wombat42

OZ was established as the worlds largest prison for Britains criminal class, so what do you expect.

Old Mar 18th 2005, 5:42 pm
blossom

Ahhh I see. So maybe everywhere is the same then eh

Actually I was saying to hubby that although it's beaurocratic here, at least things seem to get done. Or maybe it's my rose coloured glasses tainting the picture cos we love it here

In 8 months I can only think of having paid for parking once And that was in the middle of town.
This is what I mean, everywhere has rules, regs etc, but it just seems to me that in Oz they are more flexible with them whereas here it is totally the opposite. In my line of work, I am afraid the EU has a lot to do with it, yet who are the biggest flounderers of rules - the bloody europeans! And we just keep doing as we are told!

Blossom

Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:25 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

This nations politicians are crooked and corrupt. The local councils are normally paid off by developers and the police have had a nototious reputation. NSW Police used to be some of the worst criminals but most of that has been rooted out. QLD has had to do the same. WA is in the motions of trying to root out police corruption whilst Vic has a serious issue. The recent gangland killings have a few police connections.

NSW has an Independant Commission Against Corruptions (ICAC) however Bob Carr wants to reduce its powers because it can make politically embarrasing decisions.

For bureacracy OZ business has to deal with all the states. Different payroll taxes, consumer legislation, award wages etc. The company I work for has taken over a few busines that only expanded in one state due to the hassles involved in spreading nationwide.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 3:00 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't the place to discuss this either. Maybe you want to talk about it via PM
Hmmm, instead of making comments for months, without actually mentioning names, while most of us know who you are talking about anyway???? As if that's such a nice thing to do!
As if you're innocent. Geeeez!

Oh, and I think a lot of us have had enough of the boldtype and the
Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:19 am
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=Simone]Hmmm, instead of making comments for months, without actually mentioning names, while most of us know who you are talking about anyway???? As if that's such a nice thing to do!

Oh, and I think a lot of us have had enough of the boldtype and the [/QUOTE]

Simone, with all due respect this has nothing to do with you.

I have never proclaimed to be innocent. I don't have to play the victim to gain sympathy nor pass vitrioloc PM's so that others may pass judgement when only knowing half the story. If this is how some people judge others then that's OK by me. That's life.

Also, if I wish to use bold type and .....then I shall do. That's what this forum is for and neither you nor "the lot of us" you refer to have a right to dictate what I can or can't do. In fact maybe those who are pissed off should PM me and tell me so and maybe I can learn compassion from you all and change whats pissing you off, rather than anger and hatred.

I have no axe to grind with you Simone. Nor those you refer to. This is not yours or their argument unless you chose it to be and if this is the case, then PM me and tell me.I'm happy to listen and if I agree with you, then I'm also happy to change. I don't intend to upset anyone but I can give as much as I get....and I don't need to bitch via PM's or hide behind friends in order to do so.

BTW: I also know I'm not the only person to have fallen foul of this individual. The difference being I've been prepared to speak out where others haven't as they haven't felt strong enough. And I'm not going to betray their confidence either. The reason I have spoken out is ironically not to fall out, but to clear the air however the "victim" in all this has refused the olive branch, time and time again, apparently this is not unusual either. Incidently, the olive branch was offered as a sign of respect, i.e we agree to disagree however this was declined time and again and as I say, not unusual from what I gather.

Now there's something I would NEVER do...and I'm supposed to be the hard one!

So you don't know the full story. Neither will I ever tell it as it's between me and the other person. And I understand your loyalty, and if there's anything I'm pleased about........even if this has hurt me..... it's the fact that at least you have been honest.

End of story.

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Mar 19th 2005 at 4:22 am.

Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Hmmm, instead of making comments for months, without actually mentioning names, while most of us know who you are talking about anyway???? As if that's such a nice thing to do!

Oh, and I think a lot of us have had enough of the boldtype and the ;-) ;-)

I have never proclaimed to be innocent. I don't have to play the victim to gain sympathy nor pass vitrioloc PM's so that others may pass judgement when only knowing half the story. If this is how some people judge others then that's OK by me. That's life.

Also, if I wish to use bold type and .....then I shall do. That's what this forum is for and neither you nor "the lot of us" you refer to have a right to dictate what I can or can't do. In fact maybe those who are pissed off should PM me and tell me so and maybe I can learn compassion from you all and change whats pissing you off, rather than anger and hatred.

I have no axe to grind with you Simone. Nor those you refer to. This is not yours or their argument unless you chose it to be and if this is the case, then PM me and tell me.I'm happy to listen and if I agree with you, then I'm also happy to change. I don't intend to upset anyone but I can give as much as I get....and I don't need to bitch via PM's or hide behind friends in order to do so.

BTW: I also know I'm not the only person to have fallen foul of this individual. The difference being I've been prepared to speak out where others haven't as they haven't felt strong enough. And I'm not going to betray their confidence either. The reason I have spoken out is ironically not to fall out, but to clear the air however the "victim" in all this has refused the olive branch, time and time again, apparently this is not unusual either. Incidently, the olive branch was offered as a sign of respect, i.e we agree to disagree however this was declined time and again and as I say, not unusual from what I gather.

So you don't know the full story. Neither will I ever tell it as it's between me and the other person. And I understand your loyalty, and if there's anything I'm pleased about........even if this has hurt me..... it's the fact that at least you have been honest.

End of story.
This has got to do with all of us, because you won't let it rest, and keep making references to it in all sorts of threads, in a very sly way(my opinion). It's just very annoying.

No, I don't have the right to dictate what you do, and I'm not.

Why do you all of a sudden want this in pm's? I thought pm's were 'bad'?

You are assuming people bitch in pm's and 'hide behind friends'(what does this mean?), how do you know?
You can give as much as you get???? Right, so why are you judging others if you are as bad yourself?

You haven't spoken out, you've been making lots of sly comments(can't find the proper word), without actually clearly saying what you mean, or who. It's vague and it's annoying.

I don't see why you feel the need to put out an olive branch. First of all why? You obviously don't want to. Second of all, I don't see an olive branch. All I see is lots of attacking in the last couple of months.
If there is one, why would she accept it? What's the point anyway?

What's loyalty got to do with anything? I am just responding to posts I've seen other the last months.

And now I'm being vague etc too.
I just don't see the point. If you want to agree to disagree, stop posting about it! But obviously you are not happy with something, so you keep posting about it, just like I'm doing.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:43 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

If you feel so strongly about Pollyana playing the 'victim'(I don't think she does, and if she does, what is it helping her, why would you care??? Are you jealous she's got 'friends'? I don't see why you care(if it is true)?), why don't you post about it in the Take it outside forum or something, complete with references and links and 'proof', instead of bringing it up in so many threads in here?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

And I aplogise for the bold and remark, because it's just as silly as you calling Pollyana a victim(or at least caring about it, and posting about it).

I don think you make some good points and posts sometimes, but with this subject, I think you've just 'lost the plot' for want of a better phrase. But well, I guess everyone loses the plot from time to time, I certainly do.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:32 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]
Originally Posted by Simone

Oh, and I think a lot of us have had enough of the boldtype and the [/QUOTE]

End of story.
What olive branch? Haven't seen any from you since you got to Australia! Maybe it was the stuff you posted on the forum that was said in a way to suit your own agenda, that was removed from the forum to advert possible liable action. How many times was sniping directed at you from this direction? None as far as I could see, but plenty coming from you on several threads. Can't see many other posters backing you up publically on your allegations and that is what they are.

Never actually seen you agree with someone that has disagreed with you on any subject, but not doubting that somewhere you may have done. You definitely don't know the full story as you have obviously been given secondhand information said to another party and either been given it wrong or twisted for your own agenda. Odd it was your own comments that had the original thread removed from the forum. You know the ones that bordered on being liable.

By the way, I was not put up to do this, it is about time it was told how stuckup you are. It has got absolutely nothing to do with you at all as far as we are conserned. Can't seem to see what your comments on have to do at all with this thread or are you saying Pollyana is a crook? similarly other threads you have posted on recently.

I know you are going to take great pleasure in ripping me apart, but I DON'T CARE-small things amuse small minds. Obviously coffee and cheesecake don't agree with you, hang out, get drunk and hang loose.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:54 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Oh so predictable. Oh so funny....and what's with the jealousy?

I have nothing to be stuck up about. I'm a plain old working girl like hundreds on this site with friends and family, kids, mum, dad and siblings.

I've worked sodding hard for everything I've ever had, working the crappiest hours in the crappiest jobs until I got to where I did.

I've not whinged about what life has dealt me...cos I believe life deals the cards and you play the game to your best advantage. I'm realistic to know there's only a certain amount you can do to change your circumstances in life, especially if you're not born with a silver spoon in your mouth. And I certainly wasn't!

If I want a nice home then I work hard for it and make sacrifices like not drinking my money away, not having credit card debt...not having nice holidays and not buying nice things I cannot afford. I don't live in a mansion and me and my better half have worked hard as a team for what we have achieved, all so we could provide for our kids a stable home. We're by no means well off....but my kids have always had food in their bellies and clothes on their backs .......and for many years this was whilst me and my old man went without. We're not martyrs,lots of families do this nor do we resent others who wish to do the opposite and spend. But then you can hardly resent or be jealous of each others choices in life can you!!

I don't slag my husband off, he doesn't come on here to defend me and I respect my in laws too much to mock them in public. I don't blame my workmates for me having a rotten job, or for liking things I don't like, again I discuss it with them and respect /appreciate our differences. Sometimes I learn from them, and believe it or not....even vice versa.

And.....I'm not perfect...not by a sodding long chalk....I have made some really big mistakes in my life and thankfuly I've learned from them, but I don't judge people by what they have or haven't got. I judge them by their values. Nor do I play games and I don't wind people up via PM's.....oh no......what I have to say I say openly. But then usually it's discussed and we agree to disagree and move on.

And for those who don't accept the olive branch.... who see no fault in their own.......who play games to look innocent....I put them in a box labelled "forget it"..... but of course I always hope things could have been different.......

As for your assumptions about me likeing coffee and cheescake;you must stop reading the Bayside site....Polly mentioned to me before that she believed these people were stuck up.........and yet at one time she wanted to go to their meeting! Quite frankly staggering. And BTW....you couldn't be further from the truth. They're lovely people

Oh...and before you start with libel threats, get your facts right. I have NEVER stated anything with either of your names attached. Anything that fits is coincidental, after all......... you can hardly blame me for what you have already told the site now can you....

.....err actually, from experience..maybe you two can

Go get another beer and chill out

I might even have a beer and toast to your good health too

Old Mar 19th 2005, 9:02 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by blossom
This is what I mean, everywhere has rules, regs etc, but it just seems to me that in Oz they are more flexible with them whereas here it is totally the opposite. In my line of work, I am afraid the EU has a lot to do with it, yet who are the biggest flounderers of rules - the bloody europeans! And we just keep doing as we are told!

Blossom
Good point. It could be that in UK they have to take into consideration what Europe is doing whereas Aus basically looks after itself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.