Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eu/eea/australia?

Eu/eea/australia?

Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eu/eea/australia?

English isn't my first language either but let's see if I can get this clarified for the OP, Smurtaza.

I think the OP wants to know why Australia does not have a visa-free work or travel arrangement with the EU.

Smurtaza - the travel or work visa arrangement is almost always a reciprical relationship. Australian passport holders need a visa to visit some European countries, and likewise some Europeans need a visa (or an ETA) to visit Australia.

Many countries in the EU, though not all, participate in the Shengen visa system. When travellers from outside the EU visit these Shengen states, they only have to apply for one visa and can travel visa-free in all the Shengen states. There are also non-EU countries (e.g. Australia) that have arrangements with the Shengen states so that visas aren't required for tourists for less than 90 days of travel in either direction.

An Australian passport is not seen as inferior or superior to a EU passport. It's just the way diplomatic relationships work. If country A gives country B visa-free access, country B does the same for country A. Simple as that.

When you say "India have signed economic contract with EU and trying very hard to get in EU", I hope you mean India wants to have some free-trade agreement with EU, not India wants to become a member of the UE?!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

P.S. Guys, please be gentle, unless of course this thread is a windup. It doesn't seem to be one though.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:38 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Eu/eea/australia?

Originally Posted by aussie73
l knew an Aussie who went on a holiday in Indonesia just after the BAli bombing and the locals waved matches and lighters in her face shouting
" burn Aussie burn".
How about travelling to UK,USA,Canada or EU.Does an Australian(Australian passport holder) need to apply for a short trip visa to these countries?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:40 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
English isn't my first language either but let's see if I can get this clarified for the OP, Smurtaza.

I think the OP wants to know why Australia does not have a visa-free work or travel arrangement with the EU.

Smurtaza - the travel or work visa arrangement is almost always a reciprical relationship. Australian passport holders need a visa to visit some European countries, and likewise some Europeans need a visa (or an ETA) to visit Australia.

Many countries in the EU, though not all, participate in the Shengen visa system. When travellers from outside the EU visit these Shengen states, they only have to apply for one visa and can travel visa-free in all the Shengen states. There are also non-EU countries (e.g. Australia) that have arrangements with the Shengen states so that visas aren't required for tourists for less than 90 days of travel in either direction.

An Australian passport is not seen as inferior or superior to a EU passport. It's just the way diplomatic relationships work. If country A gives country B visa-free access, country B does the same for country A. Simple as that.

When you say "India have signed economic contract with EU and trying very hard to get in EU", I hope you mean India wants to have some free-trade agreement with EU, not India wants to become a member of the UE?!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

P.S. Guys, please be gentle, unless of course this thread is a windup. It doesn't seem to be one though.
Where were you 30mins ago when we needed you
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:44 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussie73
l heard a story about an Aussie who went on a holiday in Indonesia just after the BAli bombing and some of the locals waved matches and lighters in her face shouting " burn Aussie burn".

Yep - could imagine that in parts of Jakarta. Couldn't see it happening in Bali though.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 9:42 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve99
Where were you 30mins ago when we needed you
But pardon me sir, English, as I say, is not my first language. I took me that long to do the translation. Okay?!?!?!

Mrs JTL

P.S. And it took me a few hours to type this response too...
Old Sep 16th 2005, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

What a corker of a thread. Made my day. There really are some nutters out there, its not just on Little Britain!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:03 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Eu/eea/australia?

Originally Posted by Steve G

How about travelling to UK,USA,Canada or EU/EEA as Australian.Does an Australian(Australian passport holder) need to apply for a short trip visa to these countries?
Old Sep 17th 2005, 6:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
How about travelling to UK,USA,Canada or EU/EEA as Australian.Does an Australian(Australian passport holder) need to apply for a short trip visa to these countries?
How come Israel is in the Eurovision song contest?
Old Sep 17th 2005, 9:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
This isn't the fault of the Australian government. It's the responsibility of the EU to decide to offer (or not) a EU wide visa to Australians. To me it just shows up the deficiencies of the EU system. A visa for one EU country should be transferable to all EU countries.

Why? The EU is not a country.

Jeremy
Old Sep 17th 2005, 9:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
There will be very little benefit over and above a EU passport.

If you don't have a EU passport then an Australian passport will give you entry to many more countries without the need for a visa.

There is no such thing as an "EU passport". The EU is not a country and does not issue passports.

Jeremy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:30 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

I can't think of one EU or EEA country for which Australians need a visa for short-term stays as a visitor - out of interest, are they are any? Those European countries that have such a requirement for Australian passport holders are all (as far as I know) outside the EU/EEA (e.g. Roumania, Russia, the Ukraine (I think) and so on).
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
A person born in Australian need a visa to goto Europe(or travel to Europe) or Britian but a person born in EEA/EU country doesn't need any visa or anything.
Although German is language for Germany and Spanish is for Spain.
The person born in EU/EEA can live, work in any European country on his EEA/EU passport using same currency.Why?????Why Australia unfit to be considered for such previliges, although, its one the most favourite places of british people to live and work.

Err I notice you are from Coburg as well, Well the Aussie passport is ok for this european suburb eh

Seriously though, I think the answer is Australia in the whole scheme of things is probably as sort after destination by people wanting to live in a country as is most countrys of europe.

IE: Australia is a very popular place to live, and the benefits of that are enough.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
I can't think of one EU or EEA country for which Australians need a visa for short-term stays as a visitor - out of interest, are they are any? Those European countries that have such a requirement for Australian passport holders are all (as far as I know) outside the EU/EEA (e.g. Roumania, Russia, the Ukraine (I think) and so on).

No you just need proof of return, I think the same applies to Canada and the US, not sure on that one.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 8:06 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
No you just need proof of return, I think the same applies to Canada and the US, not sure on that one.
Yes: Australians don't need a visa to go to Canada as a short-term visitor, and most Australians (barring those with criminal records etc) are eligible for the US visa-waiver scheme provided that the itinerary of their trip fulfills all the other requirements.

In overall terms, an Australian passport is, at the present time, a pretty good document for world travel, it has to be said, allowing as it does visa-free travel to all of the EU/EEA, most of North America, much of south-east Asia, Japan, South Africa, and so on and so on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.