Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ethanol blended petrol

Ethanol blended petrol

Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ethanol blended petrol

Anyone tried it?

I just put my first tank full in, mainly because it was only $1.16 a litre, but it seems to be ok. No massive change in performance - if anything, the car feels a little zippier.

I understand the science behind it - the ethanol apparently acts as a catalyst that enhances the efficiency of the burning petrol, but what does it mean in real terms?

Locals I know refuse to use it, claiming it reduces power and eventually damages the engine.

Any thoughts...?

S
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethanol blended petrol

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Anyone tried it?

I just put my first tank full in, mainly because it was only $1.16 a litre, but it seems to be ok. No massive change in performance - if anything, the car feels a little zippier.

I understand the science behind it - the ethanol apparently acts as a catalyst that enhances the efficiency of the burning petrol, but what does it mean in real terms?

Locals I know refuse to use it, claiming it reduces power and eventually damages the engine.

Any thoughts...?

S

Our company is currently building part of the first really big ethanol from cereals plant in Dalby Qld. At the moment, just about all the ethanol that Oz uses is imported.

As I understand it, you should check specifically with the car manufacturer (i.e. in the hand book etc) that your car is OK to run on E10 ethanol blended fuel. I don't understand exactly the reason, but its something to do with the 'corrosive' potential of the ethanol in the fuel tank, fuel lines, etc e.g. could effect the gaskets, seals, etc. Most modern cars are OK - but for example my 3 years old Mitsie Magna warns specifically against E10 fuel.

The price is an interesting one - the viability of ethanol blend fuels is a very tight balance. The consumer expects to pay less, yet the price of the raw materials - wheat, maize, sorgum, sugar cane, etc has increased significantly due to the drought. Only a couple of weeks ago 5 large new ethanol plants in NSW were cancelled in the construction phase because the cost of raw material v selling price is not high enough.

It appears that price wins over 'green' everytime.

There's also a lot of uncertainty about how E10 may be taxed after the election.

I'm not sure that E10 has any performance improvements due to the ethanol blend - certainly I have not seen any evidence for this.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:14 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Our company is currently building part of the first really big ethanol from cereals plant in Dalby Qld. At the moment, just about all the ethanol that Oz uses is imported.

As I understand it, you should check specifically with the car manufacturer (i.e. in the hand book etc) that your car is OK to run on E10 ethanol blended fuel. I don't understand exactly the reason, but its something to do with the 'corrosive' potential of the ethanol in the fuel tank, fuel lines, etc e.g. could effect the gaskets, seals, etc. Most modern cars are OK - but for example my 3 years old Mitsie Magna warns specifically against E10 fuel.

The price is an interesting one - the viability of ethanol blend fuels is a very tight balance. The consumer expects to pay less, yet the price of the raw materials - wheat, maize, sorgum, sugar cane, etc has increased significantly due to the drought. Only a couple of weeks ago 5 large new ethanol plants in NSW were cancelled in the construction phase because the cost of raw material v selling price is not high enough.

It appears that price wins over 'green' everytime.

There's also a lot of uncertainty about how E10 may be taxed after the election.

I'm not sure that E10 has any performance improvements due to the ethanol blend - certainly I have not seen any evidence for this.

Hope this helps.
I read a report the other week, on side by side comparisons of E10 v's ULP

To move to the greener fuel, they are stating that Ethanol, needs a subsidy of min. 30% to make it economically viable.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We've had ethanol blended gasoline in Canada for years. Never made no never mind to me or my car.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We've had ethanol blended gasoline in Canada for years. Never made no never mind to me or my car.

Is this just another example of Aussies failing to grasp something new then? We were discussing this yesterday, and the phrase "You wouldn't find me putting that **** in my car" was uttered

S
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Is this just another example of Aussies failing to grasp something new then? We were discussing this yesterday, and the phrase "You wouldn't find me putting that **** in my car" was uttered

S
Probably. I can remember 15 years ago when I lived in BC using Chevron with ethanol.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:14 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

This has been in standard gasoline in the US/Canada for many years. Possibly due to the oil crisis in the 70's in an attempt to reduce dependence on imported fuel (by 10%).

I've heard claims it "cleans" your car engine as it burns, though there's also a belief that it creates more harmful gases than full petrol.

Also, the amount of fossil fuels used in its production makes claims about it being a "green" fuel questionable.

I suppose if it was mass-produced cheaply it would have potential, but as someone has pointed out, we need a fuel that's approaching 50/50 in terms of bio/oil blend to have a real impact. Then you're talking about needing different engines and it all gets too difficult.

I've heard talk of a hydrogen-powered car, but I don't know where we're at in terms of mass production. In theory it's definitely the way to go, as burning hydrogen gives off water vapour, but practacilities (different engines again) make that possibility a long way off.

For now I'll continue to drive a small fuel-efficient car (that can use E10 but I haven't tried this out yet). That way I reckon I could just about handle a double in the price of petrol (not an impossibility).
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Well who remembers putting unleaded in UK cars because it was supossed to be OK? My father had two Peugeot 405's that both burnt out the valve seats because of unleaded. Technically the car would run on unleaded..it just wouldn't last very long!

Car makers make different spec to suit local conditions - yes USA & Canada have had ethanol blended fuel for a long time, just like California had unleaded way ahead of others. Therefore car makers will make sure fuel supply/engine parts are Ok with ethanol in these territories.

My book specifically says no E10 - so that's what I'm sticking to.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Anyone tried it?

Any thoughts...?

S
Yep.........Definately reduces power..........check this out

Renault5_1.wmv
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Well who remembers putting unleaded in UK cars because it was supossed to be OK? My father had two Peugeot 405's that both burnt out the valve seats because of unleaded. Technically the car would run on unleaded..it just wouldn't last very long!

Car makers make different spec to suit local conditions - yes USA & Canada have had ethanol blended fuel for a long time, just like California had unleaded way ahead of others. Therefore car makers will make sure fuel supply/engine parts are Ok with ethanol in these territories.

My book specifically says no E10 - so that's what I'm sticking to.
That's funny, I've got a 2004-5 Magna and the handbook says the exact opposite, part Ethanol fuels are ok. Must check when I get home.

On the unleaded fuel / valve seat reduction tangent, but related to Swervo's comments about catalysts; anybody ever tried the 'drop-in tank' fuel catalysts? I had an old Merc in the UK and was concerned about running it on more modern fuels, so I bought one from here:

http://www.broquet.co.uk/

I don't know whether it was just psychosomatic, but the car started better, ran better, and used less fuel.

Andy
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
That's funny, I've got a 2004-5 Magna and the handbook says the exact opposite, part Ethanol fuels are ok. Must check when I get home.
I think my Magna is 2003'ish. Don't know for sure - its a company car. Or have I had one of those mornings and got confused that its my Toyota Hi-Ace camper that says no E10. Any something says it, so I'm not putting it in.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think we get Ethanol fuel in Melbourne, I'd like to stick some in my Datsun 120Y to see if I can finally kill it. The way its going I reckon it's likely to last longer than my 8 year old Ford Falcon.

So does anyone know of Ethanol e10 or higher outlets in Melbourne.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:26 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont think we get Ethanol fuel in Melbourne, I'd like to stick some in my Datsun 120Y to see if I can finally kill it. The way its going I reckon it's likely to last longer than my 8 year old Ford Falcon.

So does anyone know of Ethanol e10 or higher outlets in Melbourne.

I don't know of any outlets in Melbourne I'm afraid. And you shouldn't be able to get more than a 10% blend either, as the govt has legislated that this will be the maximum ratio for the time being.

S
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any outlets in Melbourne I'm afraid. And you shouldn't be able to get more than a 10% blend either, as the govt has legislated that this will be the maximum ratio for the time being.

S
Yes I just checked for myself, I've never heard any discussion of this at work or seen an outlet that boasted e10 fuel, however I was damn surprised to find a large dealer group supplying this fuel all over Melbourne.

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/di...-locations.asp

Reason I was surprised, because on my recent trip up to Qland, I noticed Ethanol outlets everywhere, they seem to be keeping it quiet down here.

Well I've got two I can easily get to, Fitzroy and Broadmeadows.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 1:45 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes I just checked for myself, I've never heard any discussion of this at work or seen an outlet that boasted e10 fuel, however I was damn surprised to find a large dealer group supplying this fuel all over Melbourne.

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/di...-locations.asp

Reason I was surprised, because on my recent trip up to Qland, I noticed Ethanol outlets everywhere, they seem to be keeping it quiet down here.

Well I've got two I can easily get to, Fitzroy and Broadmeadows.

To be honest, I haven't seen that many outlets in NSW either. None of the big chains seem to be selling it - I got mine from an independent.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.