ETA then 457?

Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

mcarton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ETA then 457?

Hi,

I've been offered a job in Sydney, and they're organising a 457.

Today when the paper work came through, they're suggesting I get a short term business ETA, then make an application for a 457 after arrival in Australia.

This smells to me.... :-(

Basically it looks like I have to lie on the "Incoming Passenger Card" to say I have not intention to live in Oz over 12 months, the intended stay will not exceed 3 months, and the prupose is "Business".

As I want to go PR later, this seems too high a risk.

Anyone else come across this?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETA then 457?

Yes, I work with someone who did it.
The 3 month visa enabled him to start immediately.
He can't remember what he put on the landing form though. Sorry.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETA then 457?

Originally Posted by mcarton
Hi,

I've been offered a job in Sydney, and they're organising a 457.

Today when the paper work came through, they're suggesting I get a short term business ETA, then make an application for a 457 after arrival in Australia.

This smells to me.... :-(

Basically it looks like I have to lie on the "Incoming Passenger Card" to say I have not intention to live in Oz over 12 months, the intended stay will not exceed 3 months, and the prupose is "Business".

As I want to go PR later, this seems too high a risk.

Anyone else come across this?
1. Presumably you're fully up to speed on the risks and downsides of the 457 visa compared to permanent residence?

2. You can't start a regular job on an ETA, so why not keep it simple and get the 457 before you leave?

Jeremy