Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Estimate of How much money you need!

Estimate of How much money you need!

Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Sizzler1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Estimate of How much money you need!

Hello There,
I am new to this and my wife, 2 children (6 and 8) and I are starting the long process of emigrating to Australia. I wanted to know if somebody could give me a rough estimate of how much cash you need to take with you. I intend to not work for the first month, whilst trying to sort out schools/work/houses ect.. Any help will be graetly appreciated.
Simon
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:27 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estimate of How much money you need!

Originally Posted by Sizzler1971
Hello There,
I am new to this and my wife, 2 children (6 and 8) and I are starting the long process of emigrating to Australia. I wanted to know if somebody could give me a rough estimate of how much cash you need to take with you. I intend to not work for the first month, whilst trying to sort out schools/work/houses ect.. Any help will be graetly appreciated.
Simon
Welcome.

Search the forums, there has been zillions of topics on this matter.

Perhaps be a bit more open with your details, ie how many of you, where to, ages, lieks dislikes, hobbys, job type.. expectations, city or suburbs or rural... etc etc etc, rental purchase, dah dee dah
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:46 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello There,
Simon
I reckon after visiting Melbourne last month you need atleast $1,000,000 for starters (and thats just for the food shop)

good luck

Lee
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

OK, have been searching for ages trying to find the answers to this question as I am seriously starting to stress that we cannot afford to move, particularly with housing market as it is & our equity, such as it was, slipping away!
So, please people, a rough idea of start up costs for first month or two for a family of 4, inc 2 school age boys! I have an idea of rental & bond but what else is there?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:09 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

If it makes you feel better I am not taking much money - but then i do have a house to go to rent free.

i would allow 2 months rent plus bond minimum then money for car, days out, food etc.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

From what I've learnt from this forum, some people will take tens of thousands with them, others will take a few grand.

Some will thrive, some will struggle.

I think no matter how much money you take, it's the determination to succeed that's needed
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mancfamily
From what I've learnt from this forum, some people will take tens of thousands with them, others will take a few grand.

Some will thrive, some will struggle.

I think no matter how much money you take, it's the determination to succeed that's needed

i 2 have an interest in this matter, and have looked through the forums.

our case is different to most, im 25 a Gas Fitter, and my gf of 5 years is 23 and a hairdresser, we started our visa pp last friday, and we are aiming for probably 10-13k

but we have no kids, no ties, and no mortgage or overheads... and we dont mind staying in a cheaper part of brisbane, untill we get things right.. also ive been offerd a job pretty much when i land
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

loopiestrats is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

can you tell me where to find out how much cash you can carry through customs going into australia??

i know the bulk of our money will be transferred by bank etc but i was unsure if you can take only a certain amount through with you??

hope this makes sence
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:35 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Me and my OH are thinking we will get through about 10-15K based on the following very rough idea
$1200 for accomodation in short term rental for 2 weeks.

$5000-$7000 for a second hand car about 8-10 years old.

$1400 for a bond for our rental
$700 rent in advance (based on 2 bedroom apartment) assuming with white goods.

Basic furniture (queen bed $600, lounge suite $600, dining suite $300, chest of drawers $200 - seen basic packages from 1K-2K, bits and bobs) - about $3000.

Food for month and set up $500 ($200 first and $100 per week- mine used to be about $60 for two in Oz several years ago).

Kitchen bits, ironing board etc - $600

Getting crap like bills and set up fees - $600 ish (no realy idea on this yet)
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones

Food for month and set up $500 ($200 first and $100 per week- mine used to be about $60 for two in Oz several years ago).

Gee that was several years ago, $60 now, seriously you would be lucky if it would get you two bags of bits and bobs now.

We got here in 2000, quite serious that most of our bills have doubled or trebled in that time

For those arriving with kids dont forget uniforms, book packs, school lists and contribution fees, you get all of them even in state schools. Ours for 2009 have come out, 2 in state high school are looking at $300 each for book hire and about $400 each for subject fees, thats $1400 without uniforms etc.

Temp accom, another way to chew up funds till you find a perm rental.

Just bring a money tap and you will be OK
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopiestrats
hi

can you tell me where to find out how much cash you can carry through customs going into australia??

i know the bulk of our money will be transferred by bank etc but i was unsure if you can take only a certain amount through with you??

hope this makes sence
$10,000 in cash or more must be declared. So you can bring more in cash if you want to (if you're mad enough!) but you have to declare it.

As to the original question of how much do you need - bring as much as you can, its that simple. Some people arrive with very little and survive cos they have to, but obviously the more you have the easier it is.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich

We got here in 2000, quite serious that most of our bills have doubled or trebled in that time

And have your wages doubled or trebled during this time?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:04 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello There,
Simon
We came to Brissy with £10K

There were just the 2 of us, no kids.

T'was enought to get a rental, pay 3 months rent in advance, get 2 cars and furnish our rental.

You dont need a fortune - we could have done it on less if need be.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
For those arriving with kids dont forget uniforms, book packs, school lists and contribution fees, you get all of them even in state schools. Ours for 2009 have come out, 2 in state high school are looking at $300 each for book hire and about $400 each for subject fees, thats $1400 without uniforms etc.
Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We came to Brissy with £10K

There were just the 2 of us, no kids.

T'was enought to get a rental, pay 3 months rent in advance, get 2 cars and furnish our rental.

You dont need a fortune - we could have done it on less if need be.
Thanks for that guys
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopiestrats
hi

hope this makes sence
If you're leaving the UK you will be questioned about carrying more than £10k in cash including travellers cheques. That besides, you don't want to carry volumes of cash, its just not safe.

You can open an account and transfer it before you arrive, or live off a credit card for a week or so, but carrying large amounts of cash is always dodgy as hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.