Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Estate agent percentages

Estate agent percentages

Old May 6th 2005, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all
Default Estate agent percentages

Hi, I have just added to the list of "How many of us have our house up for sale" and I thought we may be able to help each other with clawing a little money back from the estate agents. We have Cheshire Building Society coming around tomorrow and I have haggled and got 1.1% is this good, average or rubbish?. We did shop around and we got Halifax 1.8%, Swetenhams 1.5% but only because we purchased this house through them, Beresford Adams flat rate £4500 based on as sale of £240k, Colby Conduct Independant Estate Agents 1% but they have boards up all over the place but few 'sold' signs that I can see all the above are plus VAT how is everyone else getting along ?
Elfin
Old May 6th 2005, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Estate agent percentages

Originally Posted by elfin
Hi, I have just added to the list of "How many of us have our house up for sale" and I thought we may be able to help each other with clawing a little money back from the estate agents. We have Cheshire Building Society coming around tomorrow and I have haggled and got 1.1% is this good, average or rubbish?. We did shop around and we got Halifax 1.8%, Swetenhams 1.5% but only because we purchased this house through them, Beresford Adams flat rate £4500 based on as sale of £240k, Colby Conduct Independant Estate Agents 1% but they have boards up all over the place but few 'sold' signs that I can see all the above are plus VAT how is everyone else getting along ?
Elfin

Hi
I guess it depends where you are. We are in Manchester and are paying 0.75% plus VAT.
All the estate agents round here charge 1 - 1.5% but there are loads of them so you can negotiate.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:37 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Elfin!

We managed to beat our agent down to 1% including VAT. Beat them down with the biggest stick you can find!!!!!

There's ALWAYS room for manouvre (sp?)

Petra
Old May 6th 2005, 10:23 am
ABCDiamond

It's often about 3.3% here in Australia.

Old May 6th 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Elfin

Bloody 'ell, I had Taylors round (who are part of Countrywide, they have different names around the country). She quote a massive 2%, I nearly fell off my chair when she told me, good job I was sitting down.

I also had an independent estate agent round and he quoted me 1.25%, I have got the Halifax coming out next week. I am hoping that I can get Taylors down to a more reasonable fee, because I was quite impressed with her sales talk.

It must depend on where you live, I suppose from the other posts on this thread, we live in Swindon.

Hazel
Old May 6th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
Bloody 'ell, I had Taylors round (who are part of Countrywide, they have different names around the country). She quote a massive 2%, I nearly fell off my chair when she told me, good job I was sitting down.

I also had an independent estate agent round and he quoted me 1.25%, I have got the Halifax coming out next week. I am hoping that I can get Taylors down to a more reasonable fee, because I was quite impressed with her sales talk.

It must depend on where you live, I suppose from the other posts on this thread, we live in Swindon.

Hazel
we had Taylors (Bristol) around and quoted 1.75 and we went with them. After nearly 6 months and not a sensible offer I jumped ship to Yourmove and got 1.6% . Taylors really pissed me off, their marketing is good and they get people in through the door but they use a 'throw enough mud some will stick' approach and their salesmanship was dire in our experience. Yourmove however were wonderful and got us 2 offers in 3 weeks
Old May 6th 2005, 12:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Beresford Adams flat rate £4500 based on as sale of £240k,
That's outrageous :scared:

We had one quote of 1.25%, one who wouldn't say - and from subsequent conversations wouldn't go near with the 10foot pole, and the one we went with offered .75% inc VAT.- Very nice people, trying very hard, only been a few weeks, but Blair got in the way and really hoping things will now pick up again. We are in a major hotspot apparently - yeah right
Old May 6th 2005, 12:54 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

We are currently with an agent who is charging 1.25%, the one before him we managed to get down from 1.75% to 1% but they were crap. Some of the agents around Newport are currently charging 2%.
Sarah
Old May 6th 2005, 2:51 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Elfin
We're with Lambert and Wakefield (local agents) and they are charging 1.25%
Old May 6th 2005, 2:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We got 1.5% and that's a good deal in London
Old May 6th 2005, 3:12 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

We negotiated £1,750 + VAT which works out at 0.8% - have just put the house up again after our trip to validate (house had been on the market for the previous six months). We have lowered the price again - it's now priced to sell!!

Chris
Old May 6th 2005, 3:15 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

We are on at 1.3% - should have been 1.5% but there was a "special offer" the month our property was listed! Estate agents speak for "no properties on our books" methinks!

They're not doing a bad job (apart from losing our key! :scared: ) (But they did pay to get the locks changed)

And we have someone coming back for a second look on Wednesday which seems very promising. . . .

Binbird
Old May 6th 2005, 3:15 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
We are on at 1.3% - should have been 1.5% but there was a "special offer" the month our property was listed! Estate agents speak for "no properties on our books" methinks!

They're not doing a bad job (apart from losing our key! :scared: ) (But they did pay to get the locks changed)

And we have someone coming back for a second look on Wednesday which seems very promising. . . .

Binbird

Great news good luck.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:14 pm
Living our dream!!

fozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nice

We are paying 1.5% . Does anyone know if this is of the selling price or the price you get?

Michelle
Old May 6th 2005, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by fozzie
We are paying 1.5% . Does anyone know if this is of the selling price or the price you get?

Michelle

That'll be the price you get.

How's it going

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.