Reload this Page >

Estate Agent Fees

Estate Agent Fees

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default Estate Agent Fees

Hi
Can anyone tell me if I will have to pay Estate Agents Fees if I sell my house to an independant buyer.
Basically I advertised my house on an online web site and have got an interested party who wants to buy.
As this person has not been through the agent I assume I not liable for Agent fees.
Would I be correct in saying this ???

Thanks

Dave
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:34 pm
blossom

Default Re: Estate Agent Fees

Originally Posted by jarv
Hi
Can anyone tell me if I will have to pay Estate Agents Fees if I sell my house to an independant buyer.
Basically I advertised my house on an online web site and have got an interested party who wants to buy.
As this person has not been through the agent I assume I not liable for Agent fees.

Thanks

Dave

I think you will have to pay your EA Fees regardless, check the small print in your contract.

Blossom

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:36 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Thanks

Dave
If your EA has stated that they are a "sole agent" in your contract, then you do have to pay there fees.

MM.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:37 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
I think you will have to pay your EA Fees regardless, check the small print in your contract.

Blossom

When I bought my house I knew the sellers so we didn't go through the agent. I did get them to knock the fee of the price though
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

i disagree. stick it out and if you can prove they did not introduce the buyer you do not have to pay the fees. there is no way i would pay if i had a private buyer having paid to advertise on the net. as a matter of interest, what internet site did you use. i am disappointed with mine, it has returned practically nothing. local advertising has been brilliant though. you may have to be tough with your agent. i used to work for one.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:54 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahoy
stick it out and if you can prove they did not introduce the buyer you do not have to pay the fees. there is no way i would pay if i had a private buyer having paid to advertise on the net.
I agree with the above. And I used to work in an estate agency many moons ago too! If you can prove that your buyer has not had any contact with the agents in connection with your property you should be able to cut them out of the equation.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. . . . .

Binbird
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:20 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

If the EA doesnt sell your house then u dont pay their commission fee, but obviously u have to pay for advertising etc, but be careful make sure that you did dont sign them up as sole agents...cos if u did then u aint supposed to advertise yourself..
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Dave,
There are two types of agreement, sole agent and sole seller.

If you have a sole agent then you don't have to pay a penny.

Most contracts are badly worded anyway and any decent judge will rule with you if the buyer was not introduced by the agent.

My advice is (and I played hardball with an agent last year) get the buyer to instruct his solicitor and tell your agent you are taking it off the market, they will have so many properties on at the moment they will never notice.

Cheers
Steve

Hi

Thanks

Dave
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steveyp
Dave,
There are two types of agreement, sole agent and sole seller.

If you have a sole agent then you don't have to pay a penny.

Most contracts are badly worded anyway and any decent judge will rule with you if the buyer was not introduced by the agent.

My advice is (and I played hardball with an agent last year) get the buyer to instruct his solicitor and tell your agent you are taking it off the market, they will have so many properties on at the moment they will never notice.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply.
We have a sole seller agreement, but surely if we wanted to take the house off the market we are entitled to do so without paying the fees.

I hope this is the case !!!

Dave
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply.
We have a sole seller agreement, but surely if we wanted to take the house off the market we are entitled to do so without paying the fees.

I hope this is the case !!!

Dave
Hi Dave,
Yes I believe you can take the house off the market. but there will be a time limit in the contract that you are bound to that agent so if you sell the house in that period to anybody you will be liable to fees.

I would take it off the market (don't say anything to the agent apart from you want to take it off), sell it to your buyer, move to Australia.

Cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steveyp
Hi Dave,
Yes I believe you can take the house off the market. but there will be a time limit in the contract that you are bound to that agent so if you sell the house in that period to anybody you will be liable to fees.

I would take it off the market (don't say anything to the agent apart from you want to take it off), sell it to your buyer, move to Australia.

Cheers

mmmmmmm.......just what I was thinking !!!!!!

They are hardly likely to chase me half way round the world for £3k especially as I won't have a permanent address in Oz initially.

Cheers

Dave