Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Escape the teenage yobs

Escape the teenage yobs

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:37 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Escape the teenage yobs

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Poor dog, how did he get brought into it?
The dog caused it, he shat on some guys lawn
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or does anybody else get sick of these threads that turn into silly, slanging matches?

Crime is evident the world over! Kids are a pain in the arse and drink too much on street corners ther world over. I think that it a pointless argument.

I do truly believe though that a lot of the crime is drink related and that, as somebody previously said, shop owners and staff should face heftier punishments for selling it to youngsters. There should be a strict ID system, which is in place in our local shop.

I was in there the other night when a young lad came in and asked for cigarettes, the lady behind the counter refused to serve him because he had no ID. Personally, I would probably have served him because I thought he looked old enoiugh. When I came out of the shop his mates were laughing at him because he'd been refused. He was obviously, under age.

My sister in law works in a supermarket and all the checkout operators have been told that they are cracking down on security and they will be fined if they are caught selling alcohol to anybody who looks under-age. Measures like this could cut down on drinking related crime. There is little in life more intimidating than walking past a bunch of teenagers who have been drinking!!!

Tracey
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russmcp
The dog caused it, he shat on some guys lawn
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:49 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Macquarie Fields Sydney

Of course this sort of thing does not happen in utopia does it and the pictures must be fake.
Actually it seems ok to riot in Australia. Wonder how this would go down in the UK
sit down
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Is it just me or does anybody else get sick of these threads that turn into silly, slanging matches?
Yep.

That's the most sensible thing that's been said on here Tracey
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I Actually thought about this subject long and hard, whilst on my recent visit to the UK, in relation to my own 7 year old son. Whilst visiting one of my many relatives in M.keynes, on one of the estates, which has a court yard setting, with lots of children playing around. It was quite high density housing especially compared to Aussie. Consequently one has to be exposed to more people good and bad in a smaller area.

I let my son mix with the local children, after a couple of days, he had wandered further and wider. He came back after one particular outing, wide eyed and excited, agitated and confused. One of the children he had been mixing with had thrown stones at "the old mans Windows" he informed us. We promptly kept a tighter rein on him. We have never had an experience like this in Aussie, although our other 3 older children are girls.

Personally I think, because of the higher density living in the uk, it is far easier for children to get up to mischief, than it is here in Aussie.

I'm calling it definitely Environmental. Which also explains, why kids in this country basically have to get to car ownership stage, before the real problems start.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Yep.

That's the most sensible thing that's been said on here Tracey
No it's not (slanging match).

OzTennis
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
No it's not (slanging match).

OzTennis
Ohhh yeeees iiiit isssss
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russmcp
I'm a copper, and of course I see 'yobs' on the street causing hassle. However we are talking a minority in my area. I know who the trouble makers are and I can deal with it. Sometimes a pain in the arse but I have not had to deal with some horrific crime regarding these 'yobs'.

Sure we're going to have problems from time to time, however I think on this site we do tend to really go to town on slagging the UK off.

I think a lot of the reaction on here is caused by the media. Read the daily mail and you are going to believe a lot of the clap trap they say.

So I think reassure yourself that you're moving away to a new start that is going to also throw a few spanners your way, and appreciate what you are leaving behind, it's not all bad you know.

And in my travels to the other side of the earth (which have been long trips) I have seen 'yobs' causing problems. I nearly had my face kicked in one night just because of my 'pommy' accent.

I'm with grayling on this, same shit different bucket.

EDIT: Should also add I have had a few meetings with a couple of officers from NSW Police who have been over here enjoying a deserved holiday. Guess what? They state they have the same problems. Would you adam and eve it?
If things were out of hand and didn't just concern a small minority in leafy Surrey then there's no hope for the rest of the UK if you don't mind me saying. The NSW Police would probably tell you that they only get the odd crime in Potts Point and Vaucluse and that's mainly against property because there are rich pickings to be made there.

Of course I agree with Grayling too. Every country has the said container and the said contents; my point is that the bucket and its contents from my experience of many years in both countries are both smaller, more dispersed geographically and not as noticeable (in Oz).

The small country town in Scotland where I live is like the Wild West every Friday and Saturday evening (and definitely a no go area for a teacher of many of the offenders!) A few times in the last few months police have been called in from as far as 50 miles away to stop the drink fuelled riots and the town has been sealed off. The same thing happens every weekend in the largest town in the area which only has 35,000 pop'n (clue Rabbie Burns, the Queen of the South).

OzTennis
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:27 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
If things were out of hand and didn't just concern a small minority in leafy Surrey then there's no hope for the rest of the UK if you don't mind me saying. The NSW Police would probably tell you that they only get the odd crime in Potts Point and Vaucluse and that's mainly against property because there are rich pickings to be made there.

OzTennis
I don't work in leafy surrey, I work on the outskirts of London, and besides all towns in all areas have similar issues on varying scales. And luckily I don't police where I live, so I can go out and relax in my area without worrying about bumping into pissed people I've had to deal with.

And yeah you're right towns at weekends can be an utter pain come kicking out time. Though that can go for any town anywhere in the world. As well as seeing it in the UK, I've seen it in Ireland, I've seen it in Spain, I've seen it in Greece (that one was caused by the Brits), I've seen it in a small village in the middle of France! And I certainly wasn't suprised to see masses of police officers in city areas in Oz out late at night keeping an eye on things, plus the usual dogs and meat wagons standing by should they be needed.

So while it has become a bit of a slanging match with some on this forum (why I don't know) people should just take heed that there could be similar (maybe more, maybe less) problems when they finally get out to a foreign land that is Oz.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
So you dish out help to the newly arrived out of the goodness of your heart?

Looking at the prices you charge, I dont think so.
What a bitter, frustrated & unhappy person you must be Daz.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all

I live in a suburb outside of Memphis,US, and although we rarely see any crime here, Memphis Murder rate is already upto 117 this year, and I believe its classed as one of Americas most violent cities, with a lot of areas you just cant go into, I lived in Huddersfield West Yorkshire before coming to the US and to be honest I cant really think of any areas I was afraid to go into. I know the UK has a problem with teenage yobs but as others have said every country has its problems with crime, not just the UK.

I know its the wrong forum just wanted to give you all a prospective from the Southern US>

Regards
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I can only tell you my experience. I never saw any trouble in my Sussex village in about the 7 years I was there. I've been here nearly 3 years and I have seen some nastyness including:

1) A big brawl at the Australia Day celebrations including bottle throwing, with my kids present.
2) My neighbour over the road having her wall pushed over, by yobs.
3) Other neighbour's family getting beaten up by a drunk/high gang who invaded their home and stabbed 2 of them and also did $20,000 of damage to their cars.
4) As mentioned in previous post, a rock thrown at my wife as she drove alone, at night.
5) My wife also witnessed an attempted carjacking a few weeks ago, in broad daylight in Joondalup.

I reckon it's worse here.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I can only tell you my experience. I never saw any trouble in my Sussex village in about the 7 years I was there. I've been here nearly 3 years and I have seen some nastyness including:

1) A big brawl at the Australia Day celebrations including bottle throwing, with my kids present.
3) Other neighbour's family getting beaten up by a drunk/high gang who invaded their home and stabbed 2 of them and also did $20,000 of damage to their cars.
4) As mentioned in previous post, a rock thrown at my wife as she drove alone, at night.
5) My wife also witnessed an attempted carjacking a few weeks ago, in broad daylight in Joondalup.

Boy you really make me pleased that I don't live in Perth.

I'm trying to work out How Coburg, would be seen if it were compared to a suburb of London. It's inner city, it's one of the top 5 most multi cultural populated places in Aussie, possibly Moreland city, is the most Multi Cultural place in Aussie, and Coburg is part of that. We've got all spectrum of society here, From quite poor (although they would only be able to rent) Through to lots of Urban Proffessionals. Saying that, I've never seen any Nasty Incident here, Save for a little bit of Road rage now and again. The Gangsters (the Carlton Crew, and the Minouge's) do have their altrications around here, that makes front page and national news when one of those gets shot, I Think they have killed all the ones that are going to be killed. However problems with Teenagers, never ever seen it in all my time here.

Weird eh ?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

That's really bad stuff, particularly for your wife to witness / experience. In the 13 months we've been here, we've experienced no such thing. Either we've not been here long enough or it's down to whichever particular area you live in. For us, coming from Nottingham, the lack of "Major" crime is a bonus, nee, sheer relief and exactly why we brought our children to FNQ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.