Escape from Oz

Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:12 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
So why post on a board for British Expats?. What do you get out of it... apart from the obviously deliberate attempts to wind people up.

"entho-centric".... Two down. Three spelling strikes and you are out of here.
Here you go: "entho-centric".
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

You still don't answer the question of why you choose to spend your time on a 'British Expats' forum?

The original poster of this thread stated he didn't enjoy his time in Australia due to negativity he received being English. That's hardly antagonism towards Australians? More a case of of the OP being a victim of antagonism from Australians?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Surely it is the British who have so much antagonism towards Australians else why the topic "Escape from Oz"? Why would Brits try to teach Australians and endlessly reminisce on about how they once used to be significant?

Fortunately perhaps, other nationalities don't have and perhaps don't need web sites such as this and perhaps I am spared their wailing and teeth gnashing.
A minority don't like it here so if and when they can, they go back to what they are comfortable with. It's irrelevant and not what I asked you. You yourself said you just had a plain ordinary everyday dislike of the British. I asked why you then post often on a mainly British forum.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:17 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Xenophobic? No - don't think so, sport. No fear of strangers. Just plain, ordinary, everyday dislike of entho-centric Brits. Quite happy for them to be so in their own country - they can tell each other how to suck eggs.
Oh? Ok then
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I promise to try and rise above the playground level.... but probably only as far as the swings and the see-saw so I may be a bit up and down at times.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:42 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A minority don't like it here so if and when they can, they go back to what they are comfortable with. It's irrelevant and not what I asked you. You yourself said you just had a plain ordinary everyday dislike of the British. I asked why you then post often on a mainly British forum.
The missing word is "ethno-centric" to which I should add "hubris". Surely enough reason to post?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but you come to a 'British' expats forum to rant about ethnocentric Brits out of some duty of national pride?

Wow - you must have a really, really boring life.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but you come to a 'British' expats forum to rant about ethnocentric Brits out of some duty of national pride?

Wow - you must have a really, really boring life.

or has a masochistic streak?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The missing word is "ethno-centric" to which I should add "hubris". Surely enough reason to post?
You can use ethnocentric and hubris as much as you like. I asked a simple question, one that you, surely, could understand and you don't seem able to answer it. You're either trying to be clever (failing in my humble opinion) or you can't think of a real reason.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
My country right or wrong sort of thing? For myself i would not applaud blind patriotism nor shout it from the roof tops.(but know to what you refer)
True patriotism is in my mind being critical,showing dissent against government when required as well as having an understanding of historical aspects and cultural pursuits of the nation.
Find a lot of folk from New World nations do not have a lot of depth to their knowledge of national identity,which in turn,in the case of Australia is surely far more than wrapping oneself in the Southern Cross on Australia Day and in some cases, over taxing the few functioning brain cells with rather appalling behaviour.
Agreed. When I was in the UK I saw plenty of blind patriotism and intelligent patriotism. Depended on the person I was talking to, how much they had travelled, their intelligence etc etc. Seemed the same as here. I'm lucky enough that most of my friends here in oz display intelligent patriotism (I'm hinting that I'm a genius here in case you miss it) but I see on tv that some Australians don't. Saw exactly the same in the UK. Such is life.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:42 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of interest, I wonder if the said antagonist agreed with the apology to the stolen generation. Most ignorant folk were against it but at the same time still blame the brits for Gallipoli. Should really make up your minds whether or not blame can stretch beyond a generation, you can't have it both ways
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely it is the British who have so much antagonism towards Australians else why the topic "Escape from Oz"? Why would Brits try to teach Australians and endlessly reminisce on about how they once used to be significant?

Fortunately perhaps, other nationalities don't have and perhaps don't need web sites such as this and perhaps I am spared their wailing and teeth gnashing.
You have been rumbled, so toddle off and find another nationality to play with.

Start here ------------> http://www.irishexpats.com You know, one of those sites that other nationalities don't have

...and be sure to tell them how those nasty British people shouted at you and made you sad.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:53 am
Banned

Start here ------------> http://www.irishexpats.com You know, one of those sites that other nationalities don't have
Oh, you are so miserably crruwell.

In eager anticipation I opened said site with visions of howling on the shoulders of kindred spirits and bemoaning the beastly British only to find just 1 solitary thread for Australia containing 2 posts. Inside was just 1 post from karlom wailing about talking to him/her/itself and the other post from Jim the Admin congratulating karlom for bothering to post and consoling him/her/it for him/her/its loneliness. I suspect Jim of sly moonlighting.

The only other thread was for New Zealand and by strange coincidence also containg just 2 posts, one from a detanged poster named gottagettaouttahere and the other from the prolific Jim.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:57 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

In eager anticipation I opened said site with visions of howling on the shoulders of kindred spirits and bemoaning the beastly British only to find just 1 solitary thread for Australia containing 2 posts. Inside was just 1 post from karlom wailing about talking to him/her/itself and the other post from Jim the Admin congratulating karlom for bothering to post and consoling him/her/it for him/her/its loneliness. I suspect Jim of sly moonlighting.

The only other thread was for New Zealand and by strange coincidence also containg just 2 posts, one from a detanged poster named gottagettaouttahere and the other from the prolific Jim.
Were they slagging off the British though? I know how you feel Will, being Scottish, we too have a huge chip on our shoulder from stuff that happened a long time ago with the English. We have to get over it and move on. At least you seem balanced with a chip on each shoulder
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobodies bothered anymore... you're a busted flush. We don't care what you have to say.... but please, don't let that stop you posting. We can all have a good laugh at your expense while we reminisce about the Empire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.