Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Equivalent of Tetley/Caffrey/John Smith beer?

Equivalent of Tetley/Caffrey/John Smith beer?

Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about
Default Equivalent of Tetley/Caffrey/John Smith beer?

Hi everybody

We have visitors arriving just after Easter so are starting to get the food and drink supplies in Anyway, can anybody tell me if there is any kind of Aussie equivalent to Tetleys or Caffreys or John Smiths bitter? These are the favourite tipples of one of our visitors.

I know that we can buy 4-packs of Tetleys in one of the local bottle shops ($14.99 ), but just wondered if we can get a local version for them to try? I have seen something which I think was called Kilkenny but I have no idea!

We are in Perth northern suburbs by the way - just in case anyone knows a particular place that we should try.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future
Default Re: Equivalent of Tetley/Caffrey/John Smith beer?

Coopers organic is excellent
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vics
Anyway, can anybody tell me if there is any kind of Aussie equivalent to Tetleys or Caffreys or John Smiths bitter? These are the favourite tipples of one of our visitors.

Well as all of those taste like piss I would imagine that any of the Australian piss-type beers would do.

Why not get them to try Coopers or some other proper beer.

G
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:08 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi everybody

We have visitors arriving just after Easter so are starting to get the food and drink supplies in Anyway, can anybody tell me if there is any kind of Aussie equivalent to Tetleys or Caffreys or John Smiths bitter? These are the favourite tipples of one of our visitors.

I know that we can buy 4-packs of Tetleys in one of the local bottle shops ($14.99 ), but just wondered if we can get a local version for them to try? I have seen something which I think was called Kilkenny but I have no idea!

We are in Perth northern suburbs by the way - just in case anyone knows a particular place that we should try.

Thanks!!
We have the same prob. My father-in-law.... fussy ain't the word.
He only drinks those types of beers in the UK. When he came out last time, he tried loads of different beers, but eventually stuck to VB!!?
The previous suggestions of Coopers are good, maybe try the Pale Ale. another possible is James Squires. Their amber ale is a nice drop and looks the part too. Not saying it's the same but i'd give it a go.

The kilkenny you mention would be the closest match for the creamyness. It's just another faceless (tasteless imo) beer that's marketed worldwide.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about

bump
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:30 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody

Thanks!!
Now Canadian beer, there's a truly world-class ale.

Sorry, can't help!