Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Entertaining friends from UK

Entertaining friends from UK

Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:56 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough
Default Entertaining friends from UK

Right, a tricky one.
We have friends coming to visit over Xmas, they are very good friends of our's, we used to see each other as couples regularly while living back in the UK and enjoy meals out etc.
We are very much looking forward to their 3 week visit over Xmas and New Year but a bit short on ways to entertain our pommie mates for three whole weeks.
They have said they want to eat some "Mad" Australian cuisine and sample the local alcoholic beverages, do some deep sea "Rex Hunt" style fishing but that is it.
I know we can show them the beach and the city, Southbank and the museum but what else can we do around Brisbane?
We are pretty new to the city ourselves, been here nearly a year so this will be a good time for us too but we are short on ideas.
If it makes it easier they are culture vultures and enjoy hedonistic type stuff, you know what I mean?
Can anyone give us some inspiration for days out and about on a bit of a budget as we have got to last 3 weeks, and it will be skint time what with Xmas and all!

Cheers and beers.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:48 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entertaining friends from UK

They will NEVER forget their trip if you put a huntsman in their bed and lock the door, you will dine out for days on that story and their screams ringing in your ears will warm you when they are long gone.

You can go up the glass-house-mountains which are about 30 minutes towards sunshien coast - thats quite a nice high look out point and there is a quaint old tea-shoppe una-bomba type shack thing on the way up , its great view right at top of mountain and you can drive allllll the way up so no walking involved.

Get a day-trip to Stradbroke island from Cleveland is 90$ or something for a car and 4 people on the ferry., drive around (if you got 4x4 there is lots to churn up and secluded beaches etc).

Try ticketeck.com for whats on the poewrhouse and stuff at that time?

Try www.ourbrisbane.com.au thats got lots of good stuff to do in and around brisbane.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:45 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Some good suggestions there, the powerhouse will be right up their street and we could tag along too.
We have already started working out an itinerary and have major gaps to fill, maybe a drive to Uluru and back will fill them.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Currumbin Sanctuary on the GC
Lone Pine (although I think Currumbin is better)
Montville/Maleny
Mt Cootha/JC Slaughter falls & bushwalk
Eumundi Markets
Botanical Gardens
Toowoomba or Stanthorpe
Australian Woolshed (Ferny Hills)
Trip on the citycat
Day at the races?
Ettamogah Pub
Big Pineapple
Lamington National Park
Mt Tambourine
Brisbane museum
Get seats for a show at QPAC?
Kenilworth Butter/cheese factory

How long did you say they are here for?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:37 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

treat 'em to a day trip to O'Reillys and te ols treetop walk

Scared the bejesus out of me but then again i am a wimp afraid of heights!!!!

Makes for really funny video watching though because as i was walking it i didn't realise the camcorder was on, so there are lots of mmmmmmmmmm, oooohhhhhhh, cccccchhhhhhhhrrrrrrrriiiiiiiisssssstttttttttt!!!! !!!!!!!! and the odd expletive!!

I'd also recommend St Helena (the ghost tour) thingy - think you can get tickets from Wynuum - Manly ticket/harbour thingy again scared me witless even though there's nowt there!!!!