Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Enrolling in school in Perth - have I got this the wrong way round?

Enrolling in school in Perth - have I got this the wrong way round?

Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

VickyA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enrolling in school in Perth - have I got this the wrong way round?

We're planning to land in Perth at the end of June (I've just secured a 457 visa). We've identified a number of primary schools, looking to enrol our son in Year 4. We're getting ourselves in knots about catchment, rentals etc - can anyone help me get my head straight?
The way we're currently approaching it is, we're going to contact the schools we like, see if they have places and if they'll insist on us being in catchment. If they all insist, then ask whether a holiday rental will be enough, then we'll try and get one within catchment. We then need to find a rental in catchment too, or he'll be chucked out of school after a year, is that correct?
If a holiday rental isn't enough, we won't be able to enrol our son until we've secured a 6 month+ rental (and if the reports are correct about Perth's rental market he might be going straight into High School!)
Or should we simply come over, find a rental, and THEN approach the school?
The reason we're being picky about schools is that we've looking for air conditioned classrooms, as he's not the greatest fan of school at the best of times, so we figured air con wd make it a lesser evil... Areas are Duncraig, Karrinyup, Kinross, Woodvale, Ocean Reef, and Quinns Rocks at a push, although we'd rather be further south for work purposes.
Can anyone help?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling in school in Perth - have I got this the wrong way round?

Originally Posted by VickyA
We're planning to land in Perth at the end of June (I've just secured a 457 visa). We've identified a number of primary schools, looking to enrol our son in Year 4. We're getting ourselves in knots about catchment, rentals etc - can anyone help me get my head straight?
The way we're currently approaching it is, we're going to contact the schools we like, see if they have places and if they'll insist on us being in catchment. If they all insist, then ask whether a holiday rental will be enough, then we'll try and get one within catchment. We then need to find a rental in catchment too, or he'll be chucked out of school after a year, is that correct?
If a holiday rental isn't enough, we won't be able to enrol our son until we've secured a 6 month+ rental (and if the reports are correct about Perth's rental market he might be going straight into High School!)
The reason we're being picky about schools is that we've looking for air conditioned classrooms, as he's not the greatest fan of school at the best of times, so we figured air con wd make it a lesser evil... Areas are Duncraig, Karrinyup, Kinross, Woodvale, Ocean Reef, and Quinns Rocks at a push, although we'd rather be further south for work purposes.
Can anyone help?
Yup, best idea is to find a suburb you want to live in 24/7, get a place and then enrol in school. Most people choose their suburbs for accessibility, local services, affordability etc - the schools usually fall into place. If you wouldnt want to live in a suburb you wouldnt want to send your kid to a school in that suburb. Most schools these days (especially the good ones) will want evidence of permanent residence - so a rental contract is pretty important.

No one is going to get their knickers in a knot if your child is out of school for a few months while you get settled - if it takes that long.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll

No one is going to get their knickers in a knot if your child is out of school for a few months while you get settled - if it takes that long.
Except maybe VickyA?

I may have got this wrong? So you know where you will be working is that right? The 457 is a temporary visa isn't it? Is there restrictions in place as to where you can live and work?

I don't see any harm in contacting the schools in the areas you mention if those are the ones you are looking at renting in? and asking about air conditioned classrooms. Though I think def give yourselves a month to settle in and look around at those areas and maybe go and see the schools themselves. We've made contact with a couple of schools and they're very happy to meet with us when we arrive.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?
Rental first then school. All the areas you mention will require you to live in boundary.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butterfly Bokeh
Except maybe VickyA?
You got it!! My son on the other hand will be delighted..

Yes, I'll be working in the CBD and north of the CBD as well. We know which schools have aircon (I have a spreadsheet of all their details! ) so I guess we'll just have to chill out, in the WA way, and concentrate on finding affordable holiday accommodation in a good location so we can check out the rentals. The "problem" is that, as you have already guessed, I'm a leetle bit of a control freak, and I'll be starting work within a week or so, so it'll be up to my husband to do the legwork regarding schools, rentals etc.

Out of interest, are Gumtree rentals more hassle than they're worth? Just wondering about avoiding the open house scrums and rental agency problems I've read about already.

Thanks for this, this is hugely helpful. Now, where's my list....!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, chill, it will all work out alright in the end, dont stress about stuff you cant do anything about at the moment.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

You got it!! My son on the other hand will be delighted..

Yes, I'll be working in the CBD and north of the CBD as well. We know which schools have aircon (I have a spreadsheet of all their details! ) so I guess we'll just have to chill out, in the WA way, and concentrate on finding affordable holiday accommodation in a good location so we can check out the rentals. The "problem" is that, as you have already guessed, I'm a leetle bit of a control freak, and I'll be starting work within a week or so, so it'll be up to my husband to do the legwork regarding schools, rentals etc.

Out of interest, are Gumtree rentals more hassle than they're worth? Just wondering about avoiding the open house scrums and rental agency problems I've read about already.

Thanks for this, this is hugely helpful. Now, where's my list....!
I hear ya
Me I like t's crossed and i's dotted but gradually learning to ease up on the control for my own sanity if not that of the rest of the family.

For me personally it seems to much of a risk, I've also heard there are some scammers on Gumtree, of course you have to pay up front and it may end up costing you a lot more in the end. But its up to you if you get a good lead it could be worth checkin out?
Friends of ours said to looks on Stayz but a lot seem quite expensive to us, but we are a big family and I'm the female incarnation of scrooge
So we have been googling holiday rentals and looking into the local small businesses which seem cheaper in general .
You seem in a better situ than us though at the moment as we don't have jobs set up yet - ever hopeful tho and so we are focusing on places near the 3 major cities on the East Coast now.

You wanna do a bit of Roxette everytime you feel it getting too much

'come on join the joy ride'
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Rental first then school. All the areas you mention will require you to live in boundary.
Ocean Reef Primary didn't require us to live in the catchment. Most of the schools listed will take out of catchment kids provided they have spaces.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Ocean Reef Primary didn't require us to live in the catchment. Most of the schools listed will take out of catchment kids provided they have spaces.
Ocean Reef PS perhaps but Beaumaris is full to bursting and is currently declining applications for out of boundary enrolment in most year groups. I know the schools in Duncraig are pretty strict too and I read something yesterday to indicate that Duncraig and Carine SHS may well go down the route of Rossmoyne and Willeton and only take in boundary applications as they are almost at capacity. Year 4 is perilously close to high school age and I would be more inclined if I was the OP to think about where to live based on high schools than primary schools at this stage. Current Year 4 aged children will be the first year that leave state primary at the end of year 6.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Ocean Reef PS perhaps but Beaumaris is full to bursting and is currently declining applications for out of boundary enrolment in most year groups. I know the schools in Duncraig are pretty strict too and I read something yesterday to indicate that Duncraig and Carine SHS may well go down the route of Rossmoyne and Willeton and only take in boundary applications as they are almost at capacity. Year 4 is perilously close to high school age and I would be more inclined if I was the OP to think about where to live based on high schools than primary schools at this stage. Current Year 4 aged children will be the first year that leave state primary at the end of year 6.
True, Beaumaris has a huge catchment and the suburb of Ocean Reef's demographic is getting older so less kids. I think they are keen to get as many as possible.

If I was the OP I'd be aiming to get into Duncraig SHS's catchment.

Also if you move to Karrinyup you will be in the catchment for Carine SHS, another high school with a very good rep.

Last edited by renth; Mar 26th 2012 at 11:52 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Semester 2 in WA doesn't start till 24 July so you should have a few weeks to sort things out.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much. Yes, we are looking at High Schools, hence Duncraig, Ocean Reef, Carine looked ok, Woodvale College (?) and Kinross College (years 6-10, then Mindarie), or even, and this is a long shot, but Greenwood Senior High School which has an aviation programme, which my son would absolutely love.

My husband also reckons Kallaroo is a "hidden gem" where the rentals are reasonable - the Primary there is Springfield, but I'm not sure which secondary would apply. Anyone know this area?

So should we send an email to the schools just asking if they have room, and whether they'd insist on catchment, and then take it from there?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks so much. Yes, we are looking at High Schools, hence Duncraig, Ocean Reef, Carine looked ok, Woodvale College (?) and Kinross College (years 6-10, then Mindarie), or even, and this is a long shot, but Greenwood Senior High School which has an aviation programme, which my son would absolutely love.

My husband also reckons Kallaroo is a "hidden gem" where the rentals are reasonable - the Primary there is Springfield, but I'm not sure which secondary would apply. Anyone know this area?

So should we send an email to the schools just asking if they have room, and whether they'd insist on catchment, and then take it from there?
Just assume they will insist on catchment and find a place that you really want to live in and can afford. You may change your mind totally once you cruise the suburbs. Schools do get a tad ticked off when they get constant requests from people who are "going to live in the area", they spend time on them then they never show up for a range of reasons - usually they cant find a rental they want to live in. Really, you can chill with this unless you want exclusive private HS education in which case put names down now!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Even though its been denied, very soon the only way to get into Duncraig or Carine will be catchment only from what i've heard
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:29 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Even though its been denied, very soon the only way to get into Duncraig or Carine will be catchment only from what i've heard
Duncraig is already insisting on Catchment only, we enquired for year 8 this year and went on the school tour etc!

Padbury High School closed and the students were split between Duncraig and Belridge, which filled Duncraig to capacity. If you're out of catchment you can get in on academic extension programs and I think Triathlon program.

We were out of catchment for Carine but because our son went to Marmion Primary, that is a feeder school for Carine High and as they were not full they offered him a place.