British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is this enough for family of 3 in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/enough-family-3-perth-763073/)

Cor Blimey Jun 27th 2012 1:19 pm

Is this enough for family of 3 in Perth

Help please,

Just been offered total package of 225,000 Aus$ for Perth.

Will this be enough for UK family with 3 school kids to have a decent life?

Will need a house to rent, 2 x cars and a flight home each year to UK.

If we could save a bit it would be great also.

Normal family.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you :confused:

eddie007 Jun 27th 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Is this enough for family of 3 in Perth

Originally Posted by Cor Blimey (Post 10142057)
Help please,

Normal family.

According to BE Financial Experts You will struggle on that kind of salary in Perf :sneaky:

Paul2O Jun 27th 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007
According to BE Financial Experts You will struggle on that kind of salary in Perf :sneaky:

I have been offered a million-dollar package in Perth. I have 4 wives and 12 children. Is it enough?

eddie007 Jun 27th 2012 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Paul2O (Post 10142135)
I have been offered a million-dollar package in Perth. I have 4 wives and 12 children. Is it enough?

Well, if you take into account the 3.3 ratio per hob nob biscuit and compare it with the price of lettuce in melbourne last thursday ..... NO;)

northernbird Jun 27th 2012 3:17 pm

Help please,

Normal family.

Yes.

hoofie2002 Jun 27th 2012 4:00 pm

Surely the Op is taking the piss?

Tr1boy Jun 27th 2012 4:50 pm

Help please,

Normal family.

I'd say yes, but you might have to switch the underwater lighting off in the dog's swimming pool. :cool:

QLDlover Jun 27th 2012 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Paul2O (Post 10142135)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kadphises Jun 27th 2012 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10142562)
I'd say yes, but you might have to switch the underwater lighting off in the dog's swimming pool. :cool:

You just made my day! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

itigo Jun 28th 2012 12:35 am

For the love of all that's holy, please tell me this is a wind up.........

roaringmouse Jun 28th 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by itigo (Post 10143241)
For the love of all that's holy, please tell me this is a wind up.........

It must be - most people in their right mind would want a whole load more than that to suffer living in Perth.

spuddyo Jun 28th 2012 2:38 am

Help please,

Normal family.

You would be OK on half that amount, very happy on 3/4's and quite well off with 225K. I wish I could earn that much.

Bermudashorts Jun 28th 2012 2:50 am

Help please,

Normal family.

The answer to the "is it enough" question is that it varies by individual and you need to compare to UK earnings. So if you can manage on GBP100k then you should be able to manage on $225k. Considering that there are few people who would seriously need to ask if htey can manage on GBP 100k in UK, I would also suspect this is a wind up. Hilarious :nod:

Amazulu Jun 28th 2012 4:45 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 10143320)
It must be - most people in their right mind would want a whole load more than that to suffer living in Perth.

I'm crying all the way to the bank

dmarkd Jun 28th 2012 7:57 am

Help please,

Normal family.

If you seriously need to ask this question, then you seriously do not deserve that package.

itigo Jun 28th 2012 8:29 am

Originally Posted by dmarkd (Post 10143619)
If you seriously need to ask this question, then you seriously do not deserve that package.

Best answer so far!

Tramps_mate Jun 28th 2012 8:34 am

Originally Posted by dmarkd (Post 10143619)

This ^^

moneypenny20 Jun 28th 2012 10:24 am

Well the day's been pretty shitty but now I'm full on depressed.

Cor Blimey Jun 28th 2012 10:51 am

To all who find this hilliarious or a wind up......I'm so sorry for wasting your time but you can **** off. Whats the mystery?
I asked a serious question, can I afford rent, car x 2, and a flight home every year.....! To those who tried to help, THANK YOU very much for taking time to out to give advise.

moneypenny20 Jun 28th 2012 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Cor Blimey (Post 10143863)
To all who find this hilliarious or a wind up......I'm so sorry for wasting your time but you can **** off. Whats the mystery?
I asked a serious question, can I afford rent, car x 2, and a flight home every year.....! To those who tried to help, THANK YOU very much for taking time to out to give advise.

Charming and welcome to BE! Bearing in mind that most people come on BE to ask if they are going to able to live on $60k for a family of four, it is surely understandable that you got the replies you did when asking about a salary that the vast majority of posters are never going to come near. Certainly no need to be abusive. Try reading the rules of BE. They're here. Both Rule 1 and 2 appear relevant.

Tramps_mate Jun 28th 2012 11:08 am

Surely you couldnt possibly have thought that you may struggle on that salary?

Did you search online at all? Did you check rental prices? Average Aussie wage is $50-60k a year. And theres 20 odd million surviving already..

Over $100k puts you in the top 1%. So you would be miles above that. Its over 100k pounds a year.. After tax!!! (ignoring all the 2-3 times conversion rubbish)..

People get a little miffed/annoyed/jealous when some one asks a question like yours..

Tr1boy Jun 28th 2012 11:44 am

You sound like an Aussie already:lol:

dmarkd Jun 28th 2012 12:01 pm

The mystery is, what line of work are you in to be worth such an amount of money, yet also be incapable of figuring out if its enough to live on.

So to be clear... YES ITS ENOUGH....unless you're doing a kilo of coke a day, or have a bad gambling habit.

Pollyana Jun 28th 2012 12:02 pm

Have a look at this thread and others like it and maybe you will understand a little - you are asking about an income of $225....
Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Most of us dream of incomes of the level you mentioned, many of us will never even get half that amount.

Cor Blimey Jun 28th 2012 1:40 pm

jasus relax people. I had the good fortune to be offered what seems a good package......is that a crime?

Well capable of working it out. I was just looking for some guidance and help. Isn't that what the forums are for.

moneypenny20 Jun 28th 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cor Blimey (Post 10144162)
jasus relax people. I had the good fortune to be offered what seems a good package......is that a crime?

Well capable of working it out. I was just looking for some guidance and help. Isn't that what the forums are for.

Ok then, in answer to your question, yes, that amount should be enough for a family of three in Perth which I'd say you already knew because you knew it was a good package and good fortune.

You have a very strange attitude if you don't mind me saying. First post on BE is one guaranteed to get the sort or replies you got - it's a public forum after all. Your second one is telling those same people to f off and your third is telling us to relax. And you think it's us with the attitude.

Tr1boy Jun 28th 2012 2:56 pm

I wrote this in the Rovers Return explaining what a drive by gloat was. You Madam, deserve a hearty golf clap.:thumbs_up:

In my ironman triathlon world the pinnacle race to qualify for is the Hawaii Ironman World Championships (it's very tough to qualify for, even at my age of 45 yrs I'd have to turn in a time of sub 9hrs 40 and I'm currently on 13.5hrs :o).

So when anyone qualifies on the various forums people always put up questions that let people know they're off to Ironman Hawaii. eg: 'Which race wheels should I take to Hawaii?' or 'what sunglasses work best in Hawaii'. This is known as a 'drive by gloat'
:cool:

dmarkd Jun 28th 2012 3:15 pm

What guidance and help were you looking for? Looks like you were asking - is 225k enough Yes/No. And thats the answer you got!

Really....it's a question that didn't need asking!

ROMFT_WO2RN Jun 28th 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10144283)
I wrote this in the Rovers Return explaining what a drive by gloat was. You Madam, deserve a hearty golf clap.:thumbs_up:

In my ironman triathlon world the pinnacle race to qualify for is the Hawaii Ironman World Championships (it's very tough to qualify for, even at my age of 45 yrs I'd have to turn in a time of sub 9hrs 40 and I'm currently on 13.5hrs :o).

So when anyone qualifies on the various forums people always put up questions that let people know they're off to Ironman Hawaii. eg: 'Which race wheels should I take to Hawaii?' or 'what sunglasses work best in Hawaii'. This is known as a 'drive by gloat'
:cool:

:lol:

Bermudashorts Jun 28th 2012 7:24 pm

No I still dont believe it was a genuine question, it was either a wind up or a gloat as somebody suggested. Nobody could have the ability to command this salary, but not be able to do some simple sums, see what it might equate to and then need to ask this question.

abi31 Jun 28th 2012 8:21 pm

A bit like saying "I've decided to emigrate and all my extended family and every friend I've ever made since primary school have decided to come too - do you think I might struggle with loneliness?"

richie penn Jun 28th 2012 8:37 pm

i'm allergic to sunshine, i have phobias with snakes, spiders and animals with pouches and sea water and sand bring my kids out in rashes.

we are moving to perth in august

do you think we are making the right move????;)

sydneybookkeeper Jun 29th 2012 5:02 am

I have no idea about this but thanks for arising this type of question. I will try to give answer later if it is possible.

KJCherokee Jun 29th 2012 5:10 am

With all your allergies and phobias, Perth should be fine - other parts of Scotland maybe less so.

Hebe Jun 29th 2012 5:58 am

Whilst it is not a fortune it should be enough to live on depending on your lifestyle. Yiu may find that you don't want to go back to the uk every year but should you want to it will be enough to do so, albeit in economy. Many on here do earn a whole lot less than the figures you quite, hence the replies but I do understand your concerns when all you here about is how exPensive Aus is and if you haven't been here before yiu would have no comparison

bingobob777 Jun 29th 2012 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10144707)
No I still dont believe it was a genuine question, it was either a wind up or a gloat as somebody suggested. Nobody could have the ability to command this salary, but not be able to do some simple sums, see what it might equate to and then need to ask this question.

he's obviously in IT then.

Amazulu Jun 29th 2012 6:41 am

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 10145415)
he's obviously in IT then.

Yeah, or an accountant.

Siren & Brian Jun 29th 2012 7:29 am

Help please,

Normal family.

Gross $225000
Super $20250
Tax $ 70096

Net $134628

Rent $30000
Food $15-20000
Cars $20000
Flights back $15000 plus need spending $

Thats $80000 odd already gone

School, Health ins, clothes, entertainment, plus all the other stuff to enjoy life. :beer:

Sure, things can be done cheaper, but money certainly can get burnt here in Perth.

KJCherokee Jun 30th 2012 4:16 am

Top the super up to $25000: that will reduce the tax bill.

PerthParamedic Jun 30th 2012 4:24 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 10145376)
With all your allergies and phobias, Perth should be fine - other parts of Scotland maybe less so.

:D