Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

English speakers ?

English speakers ?

Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:07 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English speakers ?

Hi to all, just joined.

Have done tra ok and need to know what proof to give in the main application of speaking english as all in our family are native english speakers having lived in uk all our lives.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speakers ?

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Hi to all, just joined.

Have done tra ok and need to know what proof to give in the main application of speaking english as all in our family are native english speakers having lived in uk all our lives.
If you are British then DIMIA normally accept that you are an English speaker without specific evidence.

Jeremy
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Hi to all, just joined.

My family are all british - 'born and bred' - our visa is based on my skills assessment so i am ok, but we haven't got any proof for my husband paul. We have submitted his service records from four years in the airforce twenty years ago - our agents said this might be ok! so we are just waiting to hear. If you have some proof of passing some kind of exam then it is assumed that you speak/understand english well enough. aparently any kind of exam will do - first aid course, school leavers certificate etc.
I was very surprised to hear that it is not assumed that you can speak english even if you have lived in england for all 44 years of your life .
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:59 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Cool Re: English speakers ?

Originally Posted by jaxowen
I was very surprised to hear that it is not assumed that you can speak english even if you have lived in england for all 44 years of your life .
Not fair is it? It's not like he'd been living in Wales or anything.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxowen
I have not heard of a British citizen being asked to prove English ability through IELTS. That's not to say it's never happened, just that it's not that common if it does happen.

Jeremy
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I have not heard of a British citizen being asked to prove English ability through IELTS. That's not to say it's never happened, just that it's not that common if it does happen.

Jeremy
Didn't they used to have the authority, in the bad old days, to make immigrants have to read and write in any bizarre language they could think of? Therefore basically giving them the ability to reject anyone the didn't like.

I read an Oz history book that said they once asked an immigrant to read and write in some weird language (say esperanto or gaelic or something) and they couldn't so they were rejected.

Please don't make me dig out the book again, it was true wasn't it?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

BillyGoatGruff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Didn't they used to have the authority, in the bad old days, to make immigrants have to read and write in any bizarre language they could think of? Therefore basically giving them the ability to reject anyone the didn't like.

I read an Oz history book that said they once asked an immigrant to read and write in some weird language (say esperanto or gaelic or something) and they couldn't so they were rejected.

Please don't make me dig out the book again, it was true wasn't it?

Cheers,
JTL
it was indeed. back in the dark old days of the "white australia" policy they could apparently ask you to do stuff in "a european language of their choice" which of course included gaelic/welsh/christ knows what is they didn't like the look (colour) of you. thank god that all got scrapped - it has led to a wonderful multicultural society.