English Culture

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default English Culture

Well with our impending departure to Australia, I thought we had better make sure our kids had experienced some of our english Heritage before we go.

We only live 20 miles outside of London but for various reasons have never ventured into London with the Kids

Well on Tuesday we took the day off work and went to London with three of the kids, the eldest didn't want to go.

Our first stop was the London Eye and it rained and rained and rained, you could not see 10ft in front of you because of the mist and cloud and the kids moaned and moaned and moaned and kept asking could we go home yet ?

We then went to see the tower of London we quite enjoyed it particularly the tour with the yeomans despite being drenched to the skin. Again the kids were bored !!!!! and the only time a smile reached there face was when the words macdonalds was mentioned.

All in all I wish we hadn't bothered, We only done it because I felt guilty about the kids having never been. How could they tell the kids in school in Oz that the had never been to London :scared:

We spent £150 got soaked to the skin, I ended up with a migraine the kids found it boring with macdonalds the only thing they talked about.

Give me sunshine and a beach anyday !
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:05 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: English Culture

Originally posted by jwinch
Well with our impending departure to Australia, I thought we had better make sure our kids had experienced some of our english Heritage before we go.

We only live 20 miles outside of London but for various reasons have never ventured into London with the Kids

Well on Tuesday we took the day off work and went to London with three of the kids, the eldest didn't want to go.

Our first stop was the London Eye and it rained and rained and rained, you could not see 10ft in front of you because of the mist and cloud and the kids moaned and moaned and moaned and kept asking could we go home yet ?

We then went to see the tower of London we quite enjoyed it particularly the tour with the yeomans despite being drenched to the skin. Again the kids were bored !!!!! and the only time a smile reached there face was when the words macdonalds was mentioned.

All in all I wish we hadn't bothered, We only done it because I felt guilty about the kids having never been. How could they tell the kids in school in Oz that the had never been to London :scared:

We spent £150 got soaked to the skin, I ended up with a migraine the kids found it boring with macdonalds the only thing they talked about.

Funnily enough we did the same last summer (if you can call it that) with our daughter for the same reasons.

It also rained but we also did Buck Palace, a river trip and the main museums.

We got some good photo's of the main sites in the background so at least in years to come we can show her she was there even if she also only remembers the "pooy pidgeons" in Trafalgar Square !!

Good luck with the impending move.

Best wishes

Warren
Perth 2004......if we ever sell the house !!!

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear! Well, if McDonalds is what floats their boat, at least you can be assured that they'll settle well into Australian culture
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame!
BTW, how old are your kids?
I am thinking of taking our family (eldest is nearly 7, toddler is 18 months so it will all go over his head anyway!) to Hampton Court Palace, Windsor castle etc. She does get into things if I tell her about the history etc. and thankfully she's not that into Maccy D's!
I don't think I'd bother with the London Eye though, since that's pretty expensive anyway. I wouldn't mind taking her to see The Crown Jewels and the ravens at The Tower, but I'm not too keen to get into Central London. My in-laws live in High Wycombe, so we could maybe combine it with a trip up there.
Perhaps it depends more on your child?
BTW, now she's asking lots of questions about The Crown Jewels, so I guess we'll have to go!
Larissa
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

We are off to London tomorrow, hopefully we can see something from the eye!!! fingers crossed for sun shine
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

davegriff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London

You should definitely go see the Houses of Parliament - not really a kids thing, but the history of Britains democracy is fascinating stuff.

Kids...I would take them to the London Aquarium....it's awesome.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:01 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

What about Tower Bridge.....
Maybe better than the London Eye, cos you get interesting stuff, combined with a good view too.
I think kids would enjoy it too (though not the really young ones, too boring, but what isn't for them!?!)
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:06 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Science Museum ? Lots of buttons to push and poke at which kids always seem to enjoy.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

davegriff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
What about the Science Museum ? Lots of buttons to push and poke at which kids always seem to enjoy.

Science Museum is AWESOME for kids.
And Adults who think they're kids.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by davegriff
Science Museum is AWESOME for kids.
And Adults who think they're kids.
Really? I thought the Science Museum was crap.

Kids - push a button, don't wait to see if anything happens, run to next button, push it, learn nothing.

Natural History museum a much better option in my book.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:13 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Tip for people with kids in Perth: Scitech (sounds like the science museum...)
It's somewhere in one of the suburbs near the CBD.

Ah, found it:
http://www.scitech.org.au/]
West Perth

Oh, and that's Perth, WA
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:55 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The 10 pound Tombstone Picnic: Probably stuck with McChuck but take a duck into your Metropolis' Necropolis with history in hand of funny old folk that will rock their boat.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the London thing last summer, did the Eye, Tower of London, and The British museum, also a show and London zoo. A busy weekend but glad we did as it was enjoyed by all. I went on a school trip the other day with my daughters school to the Science musuem and some parts of it were really enjoyable but there wasn`t enough time to look properly with all the kids running riot but worth a look.

Oh can defiantely recommend the headphones for hire at the Tower of London well worth the money.

footie chick
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I really liked the Eye but you do really need good weather. Would definitely recommend a boat trip down the Thames as the guide will point out lots of interesting sites. Possibly get off at Greenwich, nice place for lunch. Then head back on the Docklands Light Railway through Canary Wharf back into the centre.

Tate Modern is excellent and I think they have some kind of I Spy thing for kids who are old enough to run around on their own. And its free !! Great for if its raining !

Apart from that, there's always McDonalds !!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt I'll get shot down in flames here, for saying this....but am I the only one whose mystified that anyone can live only 20 miles from London and yet their kids never been?

How old are they? Have you only just moved there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.