Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The English in Australia

The English in Australia

Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:36 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default The English in Australia

"Australia is the second most English country in the world, yet, taken as the “norm�, this largest immigrant group has never been analysed in detail. Dr James Jupp provides fascinating new insights into the impact the English have had on Australian life in the first book ever written on the subject. Beginning with familiar stories of convicts, explorers, and early settlers, and then the various waves of immigration over the 19th and 20th centuries, the book concludes with reflections on today's english immigrants, now considered 'foreigners'. Anyone interested in tracing their English ancestry will find this book compelling reading, and helpful in bringing to life senses of the places, conditions, occupations, and so forth that their ancestors lived through."

The English in Australia: Published May 2004, Cambridge University Press Australia

A review: Whine and roses.

Last edited by Quinkana; Aug 26th 2004 at 12:07 pm. Reason: Changed link to avoid SMH registration requirement.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English in Australia

...Of course, it's just good-natured banter, innocuous name-calling, certainly no worse than the beer-swilling Bazza McKenzie stereotype Aussies have had to endure whenever they land at Heathrow.
Bazza was invented by an Aussie - none other than once-Melbourne resident Barry Humphries.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana

"Australia is the second most English country in the world, yet, taken as the “norm”, this largest immigrant group has never been analysed in detail. Dr James Jupp provides fascinating new insights into the impact the English have had on Australian life in the first book ever written on the subject. Beginning with familiar stories of convicts, explorers, and early settlers, and then the various waves of immigration over the 19th and 20th centuries, the book concludes with reflections on today's english immigrants, now considered 'foreigners'. Anyone interested in tracing their English ancestry will find this book compelling reading, and helpful in bringing to life senses of the places, conditions, occupations, and so forth that their ancestors lived through."

The English in Australia: Published May 2004, Cambridge University Press Australia

A review: Whine and roses.
Good link and I'm sure the book would make an interesting read.

Mike, are you making some point that McKenzie was invented by his own kind so that's OK but 'Pom' wasn't so that's not OK??

(Not really relevant to this thread but I always thought Humphries is/was disparaging and satirical about his own race, as evidenced in his 3 best known characters - Everage, Paterson and McKenzie. He is really having a go at the drudgery of the suburban housewife, the 'Earl's Court mob' and boozy politicians. Humphries boarded at one of the colleges of the University of Melbourne and he used to draw cartoons on his bedroom wall, including McKenzie, which are still there to this day; useless fact of the day #234).

OzTennis
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Good link and I'm sure the book would make an interesting read.

Mike, are you making some point that McKenzie was invented by his own kind so that's OK but 'Pom' wasn't so that's not OK??
No. The point I'm making is that country stereotypes are normally invented by foreigners : Bazza was invented by an Aussie - perhaps, at the time (1960s/70s) this reflected a deep-rooted (if you Aussies will pardon the expression) disdain for Australian values/attitudes? After all, Menzies seemed more British than most Brits, and wasn't overly fond of his birthplace either.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
No. The point I'm making is that country stereotypes are normally invented by foreigners : Bazza was invented by an Aussie - perhaps, at the time (1960s/70s) this reflected a deep-rooted (if you Aussies will pardon the expression) disdain for Australian values/attitudes? After all, Menzies seemed more British than most Brits, and wasn't overly fond of his birthplace either.
Fair dues Mike. Times have certainly changed - I think 'we' have moved on from those Menzies days in the 1960's ('cultural cringe' and a feeling of inferiority compared to the 'home country' and all that).

Again irrelevant but Menzies for all his faults was quite a witty guy and was famous for his 'put downs' of interjectors when he was speaking. For example, one well known one occurred during a televised TV debate. During a pause when Menzies was speaking, a guy yelled out 'tell us all you know Bob, I've got a spare minute'. The audience laughed and when they stopped he replied 'I'll tell you all we both know and it won't take any longer'. (audience erupts and Menzies leads 1-0) He was also met at Heathrow airport by then PM Sir Alec Douglas Home (pronounced Hume). Home greets him with pleased to meet you Mr Mingees (Scots pronunciation). Menzies shakes hands and says please to meet you Mr (not Sir) Home (not Hume).

OzTennis
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:41 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie - Barry Humphries' Delirium Tremens Stream of sub-Consciousness
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:28 am
PommieLeague

What about if youre British like me? Im white, born in MAnchester but have never classed my self as 'English'? I was always of the assumption that English was the lingo?

Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:41 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lathlain
What about if youre British like me? Im white, born in MAnchester but have never classed my self as 'English'? I was always of the assumption that English was the lingo?
If you are British but not Scottish, Welsh or Nothern Irish, then you are English whether you class yourself as so or not.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 6:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
If you are British but not Scottish, Welsh or Nothern Irish, then you are English whether you class yourself as so or not.
Not if you are an immigrant, or decended from recent immigrants.

I don't think afro/carribean people see themselves as English but British.