Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England to win the World Cup?

Wikiposts

England to win the World Cup?

Old Oct 19th 2003, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by renth
Not me. I'd cheer anyone playing Scotland or Wales, even Iraq or North Korea.

Nothing personal it's just returning the compliment.

Actually in the Spring FIFA world rankings, cheering for Scotland v Iraq was cheering for the underdog.

Scotland ranked 64th, Iraq 59th.

Still u r right, could not cheer for the jocks even if my life depended on it.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:31 am
WBB

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Actually in the Spring FIFA world rankings, cheering for Scotland v Iraq was cheering for the underdog.

Scotland ranked 64th, Iraq 59th.

Still u r right, could not cheer for the jocks even if my life depended on it.

would rather cheer for iraq than england

Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:42 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
would rather cheer for iraq than england
Id rather cheer for one of the British nations than any other.

Somthing i'd be interested to know....and i suspect only Badgers could answer this.

Are people in the army as childish as sports fans? Do the scottish and welsh troops wander around stabbing thier english companions in the back?

Sorry WBB, but i just don't get why you would say that.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:52 am
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY

Somthing i'd be interested to know....and i suspect only Badgers could answer this.

Are people in the army as childish as sports fans? Do the scottish and welsh troops wander around stabbing thier english companions in the back?

having also served in the forces i can tell you that there is a divide beetween the welsh/irish/scottish and the english.

i can only speak for the welsh here but the reason we dislike the english is because it is drummed in to us from an early age, dont get me wrong, i have some english friends and my gran was english but i could never EVER support an england team on a sports field.

no one was more happy than me when beckham did a jonny wilko on that penalty the other week.

Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:05 am
Badge

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteY
[QUOTE]

hmmmm. to an extent, the teamwork fostered by the Regiment allows everyone to get on moreorless, or there is a bit of banter occasionally etc. What I like about Australian blokes is that their banter is very much like this, but without the "hard" geezer mentality that so many British blokes foster. Everyone knows that everyone can pass a fitness test to x standard so there is less to prove.

It also all depends if you're infantry, trades, elite forces etc. The "footh and mouth" county infantry guys probably more insular; the elite regts less so etc. The elitism ethos of the regt allows you to transcend class and education.

I'd say there is more of a North/South divide in the Army, if you are an "educated" bloke in the ranks with a "posh" (read none regional) accent then you are fair game for piss takes. I use to share a room briefly with several drivers and they couldn't believe I had a degree etc. One they found out I was born in Surrey etc I never heard the last of it ! But we all got on.

Badge

Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

having also served in the forces i can tell you that there is a divide beetween the welsh/irish/scottish and the english.

i can only speak for the welsh here but the reason we dislike the english is because it is drummed in to us from an early age, dont get me wrong, i have some english friends and my gran was english but i could never EVER support an england team on a sports field.

no one was more happy than me when beckham did a jonny wilko on that penalty the other week.

So Billy... if it was drummed into you from an early age not want to sleep with women, would you have gone along with THAT too????
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:21 am
WBB

Originally posted by podgypossum
So Billy... if it was drummed into you from an early age not want to sleep with women, would you have gone along with THAT too????

now you are being silly.

on that silly note

A man's occupation is to stick his cockulation up the woman's ventilation to increase the population of the coming generation.

please note the above says woman and not sheep

Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

now you are being silly.

on that silly note

A man's occupation is to stick his cockulation up the woman's ventilation to increase the population of the coming generation.

please note the above says woman and not sheep

No.. no.. not silly at all. I was questioning the intelligence of beholding to a belief just because others told you it is right and not having an open mind to find out for yourself ....

By the way... i am half Welsh (family from Glyn Neath), half Swedish, but born in London....my maiden name was Evans.. maybe having a more international mix has given me a more tolerant nature!!!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:28 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

No.. no.. not silly at all. I was questioning the intelligence of beholding to a belief just because others told you it is right and not having an open mind to find out for yourself ....

By the way... i am half Welsh (family from Glyn Neath), half Swedish, but born in London....my maiden name was Evans.. maybe having a more international mix has given me a more tolerant nature!!!
I know quite a few Welsh and Scottish and find them extrememly friendly.... They could be closet English haters but i've not noticed it!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I know quite a few Welsh and Scottish and find them extrememly friendly.... They could be closet English haters but i've not noticed it!

LOL...

I should have added that my first husband was scottish and my second a Kiwi!!!

I'm slowly working my way around the globe
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:41 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

I think the Irish are the worst for hating the English, all my friends in Holland are originaly from southern Ireland, wicklow area and every time they had a skin full it was English this and English that and everything they harped on about happened 100's of years ago, yet they still go on about what we did to them. When they are sober they explain it is also drummed into them at school and even at primary school all the kings of Ireland from many years ago adorne the walls and they are expected to know all the names. My pal Joe said they were all told very young what pigs the English are.
As an English person I do not have any hatred toward anyone but when I have made friends with Welsh, Irish, Scottish are taken aback by their dislike for the English.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

NO!
The Yanks do that to all the Allied troops and call it FRIENDLY FIRE!.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Gee Whiz You Lot! It is easy to understand. Big Nation versus Small Nation.

Ask a Canadian what they think of the US
Ask a Portugese what they think of Spain
Ask an Austrian what they think of Germany
Ask a little brother what they think of the big brother who has been bullying them for hundreds of years.

It is only when it is taken too seriously and you ask a Serb what they think of thier Croat neighbour that it starts to get worrying. When I go to live in Oz I will try to become and Australian. Part of this is accepting that in Oz everyone in a newcommer.

Live and let live and it is OK to hope that Engerland or Skotland or Wales or Ireland or the Kiwis get beat - but do not take it too seriously.

Ken
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
All these poms saying England are going to win! Please read the posts.

Read the posts !!

bondipom, I have read all these posts - starting from the first 3 then on and on about how "these Poms are going to take Bill back to the northern hemisphere" and on and on and on.

How come you just do not see it!!

Ken ;-)

Hey How about Scotland - Played rubbish twice and won - how good is that!!!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

LOL...

I should have added that my first husband was scottish and my second a Kiwi!!!

I'm slowly working my way around the globe

And when you get to Mexico, you could never let a dago by ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.