Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England to win the World Cup?

Wikiposts

England to win the World Cup?

Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
I agree BP... what is it about the English that they feel they have to appologise all the time and never be proud??... is it because the old colonials cant shake off that chip on the shoulder?

Most English sports fans will always shout for the Scots and the Welsh if they not in it....you sure as hell wouldnt get that from them though!!!!...

(PP ducks and waits for the backlash)
Not me. I'd cheer anyone playing Scotland or Wales, even Iraq or North Korea.

Nothing personal it's just returning the compliment.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:00 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth

I would not lower myself to their level to do that. I will not support them though.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:01 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Well said Podgy. I am not responsible for the colonial times anymore than you are. Seems we have to apologise for shipping half of Africa to the USA 2-300 years ago, yet those blacks who seek to sue the UK for this seem to forget that we ended slavery in 1810 through the efforts of William Wilberforce.

I don't read of Aussies or Kiwis apologising for the theft of Aboriginal & Maori lands. Americans regretting the genocide of the the Indian peoples in the 19th century, a genocide that outdid the Nazis in its severity.
Do you know the BBC (in scrum V) pulled posts off the Welsh forum for speaking in our own native tounge? saying it was a foreign language! excuse me!!! .. Welsh is one of the oldest languages in Europe.. If anyone is speaking foreign ,it's English.(PS they had a battle on their hands... the London mods have backed down)

Someone said Diolch (thanks)... the London moderators did not recognise it.. so the post was pulled... Racism. I know this is a little thing to you, and you probably can not understand the significance, but when one is fighting against that... you can never understand it.

Why do you think we as in Wales have kept our language unlike Ireland or Scotland?.. it's because of the geography.. it would be so easy to be swamped by "Englishness".. we are bl**dy minded.
We can thank England for keeping our welshness. Thank you
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by renth

I would always support a NH team v any SH team at sport. As for Oz being current W Champs this Tournament is all about realigning the rugby world. I suspect the Boks will give the Kiwis a fearful fright. They are already struggling with key injuries and don't need any more. For the Boks it will be the last throw of the dice so who knows. The Kiwis could be undercooked. I thought the Oz medias reaction to flogging Romania was hilarious as well as pathetic. I doubt the England team would have banged on about it in the same way.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
Do you know the BBC (in scrum V) pulled posts off the Welsh forum for speaking in our own native tounge? saying it was a foreign language! excuse me!!! .. Welsh is one of the oldest languages in Europe.. If anyone is speaking foreign ,it's English.(PS they had a battle on their hands... the London mods have backed down)

Someone said Diolch (thanks)... the London moderators did not recognise it.. so the post was pulled... Racism. I know this is a little thing to you, and you probably can not understand the significance, but when one is fighting against that... you can never understand it.

Why do you think we as in Wales have kept our language unlike Ireland or Scotland?.. it's because of the geography.. it would be so easy to be swamped by "Englishness".. we are bl**dy minded.
We can thank England for keeping our welshness. Thank you
So start your own Welsh forum. Sure it smacks of nationalism but the BBC is English speaking is it not?
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:09 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by muppetking
So start your own Welsh forum. Sure it smacks of nationalism but the BBC is English speaking is it not?
correct me if I'm wrong but the BBC is paid for by all people in Britain. Correct me if I'm wrong Welsh is a native language... English is a bastarised language. get real

Look up racism laws!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:19 pm

correct me if I'm wrong but the BBC is paid for by all people in Britain. Correct me if I'm wrong Welsh is a native language... English is a bastarised language. get real

Look up racism laws!
English is the lanaguage spoken by most license fee payers and therefore the site should be accessible by most license fee payers.

Nothing wrong with Welsh forums on Welsh sites which I am sure are so polite to the English and never xenophobic!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:27 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by bondipom
English is the lanaguage spoken by most license fee payers and therefore the site should be accessible by most license fee payers.

Nothing wrong with Welsh forums on Welsh sites which I am sure are so polite to the English and never xenophobic!
It was a welsh forum on the BBC! go and read scrum V (wales forum) .. go tto BBc sport.. then to scrum v.. press on the Wesh forum

anyway even if it wasn't (besides the point)... welsh is a native language

this happened in the welsh forum.. thanks BBC

this maybe a little point... but this is what we have to put up with.

look welsh is a native language to Britain.

like I say go look up racism

I do not expect you to understand it. this just one thing on top of another.

Yes it's just a stupid forum.. but when the BBC says no foreign languages.. lol...

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 19th 2003 at 5:32 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is fantastic how the Welsh have not only managed to preserve the language, but also managed to make it more relevant, widely used and living form of communication.

It makes Scotland’s repeated attempts to kick start Scottish Gaelic look pathetic by comparison, and points to the underlying fact that the Welsh have a much better sense of their own roots and culture than any of the other “home� nations.

I think this is why the WRU come in for so much grief fielding foreign players and with a foreign coach. In Scotland, we gratefully accept any Oz or Kiwi reject as there is little or no national identity or pride.

Scotland may have the best supporters in the world, but it is sad when that is all we are good at.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by muppetking

Micheal Bentine did a great sketch on the radio along these lnes years ago. People with all these wonderful regional accents went to the official BBC speech school & ended up speaking the same flat dull BBC tones.

Yes Welsh is a native tongue, like Kernow, Gaelic and other such tongues. Strange that that Kernow ( Cornish ) is the only one of these languages that is not allowed to have it's own tv programming.

Personally I hate driving in North Wales, by the time you have read down to the English translation, you have narrowly avoided cradshing into whatever the sign is warning you about.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 5:47 pm

It was a welsh forum on the BBC! go and read scrum V (wales forum) .. go tto BBc sport.. then to scrum v.. press on the Wesh forum

Yes it's just a stupid forum.. but when the BBC says no foreign languages.. lol...
The forum is part of the main BBC site and not the BBC Wales site. For fair debate having English as the common language is far better so that everyone can argue together and understand each others abuse. Nothing racist or discriminatory about it. In fact it is more inclusive.

English may have a lot of influences on it but the use of the term bastardised might be considered racist by some.

The world has moved on in the 1000 years since England was last successfully invaded and the most successful cultures have been those that have borrowed, stolen and reused others ideas. Just because your forefather 1000s of years ago were the original inhabitants does not make you more British than the English. Such arguments were used by Hitler to judge who were the Aryans who were not.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Lads, Lads, Lads,

Getting back to the subject.

ENGLAND TO WIN THE WORLD CUP.

I just think it is great to hear all these poms tell the world that they have won the cup already...... and then complain about the Aussies being cocky.

Ken

Scared about Scotlands chances against the USA!!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 8:19 pm

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
Lads, Lads, Lads,

Getting back to the subject.

ENGLAND TO WIN THE WORLD CUP.

I just think it is great to hear all these poms tell the world that they have won the cup already...... and then complain about the Aussies being cocky.

Ken

Scared about Scotlands chances against the USA!!
All these poms saying England are going to win! Please read the posts.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:03 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if this is off track again but I'd have to agree with Ceri. The attitude of people who would rather pull the posts of Welsh users (on a Welsh forum!) is basically showing fear of the unknown. "We can't understand what they're saying, it might be bad, it might be unkind to us, therefore they shouldn't have a forum". It's exactly this type of censoring that is dangerous. Maybe if we were all exposed to different languages and ideas a bit more we might all be more tolerant of each other and not act out of negativity so much. What they should have done is look up the words they didn't understand and maybe post a translation for the benefit of others, that way we all learn something!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:12 pm

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
Sorry if this is off track again but I'd have to agree with Ceri. The attitude of people who would rather pull the posts of Welsh users (on a Welsh forum!) is basically showing fear of the unknown. "We can't understand what they're saying, it might be bad, it might be unkind to us, therefore they shouldn't have a forum". It's exactly this type of censoring that is dangerous. Maybe if we were all exposed to different languages and ideas a bit more we might all be more tolerant of each other and not act out of negativity so much. What they should have done is look up the words they didn't understand and maybe post a translation for the benefit of others, that way we all learn something!
Not a welsh forum but a forum regarding the Welsh Rugby Team next to a forum about all the other rugby teams. The post was pulled becaus it was in Welsh not because it was by a Welsh person.

Yes exposure to other languages and cultures is great. Go to a language and culture forum for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.