Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England to win the World Cup?

Wikiposts

England to win the World Cup?

Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:49 am
WBB

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
LMAO. what do you do for an encore in your comedy routine ???

Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:51 am
WBB

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
LMAO. what do you do for an encore in your comedy routine ???
he must be your warm up act.

england will not win it, they have a history of botling it and this tourny will be no exception.

you still have to pass the mighty wales in the q/f, supposing you get that far.

Old Oct 19th 2003, 6:09 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
you still have to pass the mighty wales
Would that be on a boat in Hervey Bay???

(i've been on the wine!!!)
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:04 am
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
Would that be on a boat in Hervey Bay???

(i've been on the wine!!!)

touche

Old Oct 19th 2003, 10:14 am
Badge

why criticise the team for the actions of the media?

The actual team are the most downplaying team I have ever met. Have been that way ever since at least 1999. Refuse to look further than the next game etc Johnson quiet and tactiturn even in victory..

badge

;-)

Old Oct 19th 2003, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant blame the media for anything here - imo.

Just that England have to show that they CAN actually WIN when the pressure is on - and let's face it - that is not exactly the strong point of English sport.

Nuff Said.

~Sean

Originally posted by badgersmount
why criticise the team for the actions of the media?

The actual team are the most downplaying team I have ever met. Have been that way ever since at least 1999. Refuse to look further than the next game etc Johnson quiet and tactiturn even in victory..

badge

;-)
Old Oct 19th 2003, 10:57 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SeanH
Cant blame the media for anything here - imo.

Just that England have to show that they CAN actually WIN when the pressure is on - and let's face it - that is not exactly the strong point of English sport.

Nuff Said.

~Sean
Sean you seem to make a habit of regurgitating my arguments. If you read back there are plenty of poms saying the teams biggest enemy is themselves.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Not really - my point is that it would be more possible to think England could win ANYTHING if they ever could win anything ( in any sport ) since 1966.

Frankly - The total ineptitude of english sport is a bit too much for me to think they will ever win anything against anyone in any sport when it comes down to the crunch.

~Sean

Originally posted by bondipom
Sean you seem to make a habit of regurgitating my arguments. If you read back there are plenty of poms saying the teams biggest enemy is themselves.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:13 am

Do you hear the English shouting around arrogantly how great they are at sport? You normally hear "here we go again" at yet someone else losing.

For once we have a half decent Rugby team that can do things so please let us revel in our short lived joy for a while and scurry off until Australia start playing some decent rugby. It is sad habit of the Aussies to knock everyone else whilst they are not on top themselves.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Firstly I am not Australian.

Secondly - Australia are on top - They are current World Champions.

Apart from that you are mostly correct.

~Sean

Do you hear the English shouting around arrogantly how great they are at sport? You normally hear "here we go again" at yet someone else losing.

For once we have a half decent Rugby team that can do things so please let us revel in our short lived joy for a while and scurry off until Australia start playing some decent rugby. It is sad habit of the Aussies to knock everyone else whilst they are not on top themselves.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:25 am

Firstly I am not Australian.

Secondly - Australia are on top - They are current World Champions.

Apart from that you are mostly correct.

~Sean
Sorry to call you an Aussie.

There are different ranking methods. Personally I find the bookies the most preferable. NZ 1 England 2 and Oz 3 . No one wants to be favourite because historically the favourite does not win the comp.

Oz may be World Champs but NZ are tri nation champs and England are Grand Slammers and ranked no 1 by the IRB.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I agree BP... what is it about the English that they feel they have to appologise all the time and never be proud??... is it because the old colonials cant shake off that chip on the shoulder?

Most English sports fans will always shout for the Scots and the Welsh if they not in it....you sure as hell wouldnt get that from them though!!!!...

(PP ducks and waits for the backlash)
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

No apology required

And come on - Grand Slammers ??
One thing we can all agree on is that Wales, Scotland and Ireland are all VERY ordinary teams.

Let's not forget that the old stodgies in the IRB actually have Ireland ranked as the 3rd best team in the world !!!
That is totally laughable. So much for their rankings.

~Sean

Sorry to call you an Aussie.

There are different ranking methods. Personally I find the bookies the most preferable. NZ 1 England 2 and Oz 3 . No one wants to be favourite because historically the favourite does not win the comp.

Oz may be World Champs but NZ are tri nation champs and England are Grand Slammers and ranked no 1 by the IRB.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:41 am

No apology required

And come on - Grand Slammers ??
One thing we can all agree on is that Wales, Scotland and Ireland are all VERY ordinary teams.

Let's not forget that the old stodgies in the IRB actually have Ireland ranked as the 3rd best team in the world !!!
That is totally laughable. So much for their rankings.

~Sean
Especially after the mauling Ireland got earlier on in the year. Ireland can potentially pull off one shock result but I do not give Wales or Scotland much chance. It is a shame as the sport could do with some more competition.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by podgypossum
I agree BP... what is it about the English that they feel they have to appologise all the time and never be proud??... is it because the old colonials cant shake off that chip on the shoulder?

Most English sports fans will always shout for the Scots and the Welsh if they not in it....you sure as hell wouldnt get that from them though!!!!...

(PP ducks and waits for the backlash)

Well said Podgy. I am not responsible for the colonial times anymore than you are. Seems we have to apologise for shipping half of Africa to the USA 2-300 years ago, yet those blacks who seek to sue the UK for this seem to forget that we ended slavery in 1810 through the efforts of William Wilberforce.

I don't read of Aussies or Kiwis apologising for the theft of Aboriginal & Maori lands. Americans regretting the genocide of the the Indian peoples in the 19th century, a genocide that outdid the Nazis in its severity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.