Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

England is pants.

Wikiposts

England is pants.

Old May 14th 2004, 8:18 pm

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

May I suggest Mrs.Dagboy that you read ALL my threads before writing to me. I have said on numerous occasions how great we think it is, you obviously havent read them all. Louisa
Old May 14th 2004, 8:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robertd
May I suggest Mrs.Dagboy that you read ALL my threads before writing to me. I have said on numerous occasions how great we think it is, you obviously havent read them all. Louisa
Ahhh well perhaps it was your husbands posts that I read then . My comment still stands.

And besides which, I didnt see the sign on the door that says Im not entitled to have an opinion or respond to a post unless I have read every one of the posters previous posts?

Maybe you could give me the same courteousy - talk to you next month .
Old May 14th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
Bits of the UK are "pants", bit are lovely, same goes for Oz. And its all a very personal thing as everyone's feelings and experiences are different, and hence colour the way they look at things.

So, form a purely personal point of view, good to hear what hubby is thinking on his visit Tina! Reinforces some of the reasons why I'm glad I'm here

He absolutely hates it!
He can't believe how unfriendly and grumpy people are. Also you forget about the traffic, grime and heaving population as well. And we lived in a 'nice' part of Greater London!

Also he said he is freezing all of the time and it is supposed to be around 23c, but he reckons it feels cooler than 23c out here! Probably as the sun isn't actually out shining on you for most of the day.

If I ever go loopy and decide to return, I will be going back on my own as he swears he never will!!
Old May 14th 2004, 9:07 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid I fall into the England bashing category.

I truly dislike living in this country.

I also don't understand why people feel proud to be English\British either. Why be proud of a place just because that's where you were born? Instead, be proud of your own personal achievements.

My reasons for wanting to go to Oz are simply that want to try. I know I don't like it here, so why not try there? If it doesn't work out, I have at least tried.

Why Oz? Well, I have a sister there who has been there for over 15 years. It would be nice for her to have more family there and easier for me to have family around in a new country. It just happens to be top of my list of countries to consider too.
Also, my sister says she would NEVER return to the UK (except for visits to family). She acknowledges the problems in Oz, but still thinks it is a far better life than living in the UK.

Maybe I'll find I don't like Oz after all, but that still doesn't change the fact I REALLY DISLIKE living in the UK.

The UK does have some lovely places, steeped in history and some lovely people. They, however, are far over-shadowed by the negatives. I won't list the negatives because:

A: There's too many

B: We all know what they are really.

This is my opinion and no offense is intended to anyone.
Old May 14th 2004, 9:07 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by tinaj
He absolutely hates it!
He can't believe how unfriendly and grumpy people are. Also you forget about the traffic, grime and heaving population as well. And we lived in a 'nice' part of Greater London!

Also he said he is freezing all of the time and it is supposed to be around 23c, but he reckons it feels cooler than 23c out here! Probably as the sun isn't actually out shining on you for most of the day.

If I ever go loopy and decide to return, I will be going back on my own as he swears he never will!!

He's telling you that, so you won't think he's having a good time

jib
Old May 14th 2004, 9:13 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sausage
I also don't understand why people feel proud to be English\British either. Why be proud of a place just because that's where you were born? Instead, be proud of your own personal achievements.
This one has always puzzled me too. I agree, be proud of what you have done, not where you were born!
Old May 14th 2004, 9:14 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by Sausage
I'm afraid I fall into the England bashing category.

I truly dislike living in this country.

My reasons for wanting to go to Oz are simply that want to try. I know I don't like it here, so why not try there? If it doesn't work out, I have at least tried.

Why Oz? Well, I have a sister there who has been there for over 15 years. It would be nice for her to have more family there and easier for me to have family around in a new country. It just happens to be top of my list of countries to consider too.
Also, my sister says she would NEVER return to the UK (except for visits to family). She acknowledges the problems in Oz, but still thinks it is a far better life than living in the UK.

Maybe I'll find I don't like Oz after all, but that still doesn't change the fact I REALLY DISLIKE living in the UK.

The UK does have some lovely places, steeped in history and some lovely people. They, however, are far over-shadowed by the negatives. I won't list the negatives because:

A: There's too many

B: We all know what they are really.

This is my opinion and no offense is intended to anyone.

What has your therapist think

jib
Old May 14th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TraceyW
I don't think it's completely crap, there are still some beautiful parts, trouble is most average Jo types, like us, could never afford to live in them!

I have finally decided, after months of wondering how I feel about this country, I am in love with the England I grew up in. The one where I could play outside in the street until it got dark in the Summer, how I could walk home on my own and not be afraid, how I was never offered drugs at school, oh the list goes on. But I think 25 years ago, this England was a nicer place to be in.

Things like this make me want to leave all the more; our firends took there 3 year old son on the Thomas the Tank engine train at the severn valley railway last week. The train was shot at by kids with air rifles and pelted with stones. A young baby was rushed to hospital with facial injuries.

This is a very sad and sorry society we live in.
Our two children now play outside until it gets dark (currently around 9.00) whereas in Oz it was always dark by tea-time and the hoons had started to appear.

Basically, it all depends on WHERE you live, both in Oz and UK - there's good and bad in both - including the weather!!!
Old May 14th 2004, 9:16 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

A lot of British folk reading this may find this odd, but I sort of envy you guys in that you can move between most if not all EU countries without going through immigration dramas. Just fly, drive or whatever and hey you're there. If it isn't as simple as that, do tell; maybe I'm far off the mark here.

Us poor Aussies only have NZ to travel to under a similar agreement and our American and Canadian friends have no such thing.
Old May 14th 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

England is like a pair of big pants, comfy but seen better days. You wouldn't want to get run over wearing them though

Seriously though, I both love and hate the UK, for different reasons. I'm all up for a change, a bit of adventure, a new pair of thrilly pants!!! I do realise, that thrilly pants can get stuck in arkward places though and I might miss my comfy pants after a while.
Old May 14th 2004, 9:21 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
A lot of British folk reading this may find this odd, but I sort of envy you guys in that you can move between most if not all EU countries without going through immigration dramas.
If you ever read the Returning to the UK forum (:scared::scared: ) then that is often a reason quoted for coming back.
Travel is very easy between EU countries, just ask any 'assylum seeker' who has passed through 5 or 6 countries to get in to the UK
Oh, and by the way, that's a joke
Old May 14th 2004, 9:22 pm
WBB

Originally posted by wmoore
If you ever read the Returning to the UK forum (:scared::scared: ) then that is often a reason quoted for coming back.
Travel is very easy between EU countries, just ask any 'assylum seeker' who has passed through 5 or 6 countries to get in to the UK
Oh, and by the way, that's a joke
yeah, more like 9 or 10.

Old May 14th 2004, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
A lot of British folk reading this may find this odd, but I sort of envy you guys in that you can move between most if not all EU countries without going through immigration dramas. Just fly, drive or whatever and hey you're there. If it isn't as simple as that, do tell; maybe I'm far off the mark here.

Us poor Aussies only have NZ to travel to under a similar agreement and our American and Canadian friends have no such thing.
Good point, but (apart from some of the Costas) you need to be fluent in the native tongue to survive. Its easier if you're retired and don't need to get work. Work can also be hard to come by, unless there is a very real shortage of locals in your field.
Old May 14th 2004, 9:33 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by hevs
Same Sh*t, different pants..........
PMSL......bonkers......V.witty

Phoenixuk2oz

Old May 14th 2004, 9:35 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I am not knocking peoples dreams but moving to OZ to escape crime and disrespectful people is like moving to America to escape fat people.

Problem with Oz crime is it is mostly concentrated in the 5 major cities so the national stats which are bad enough actually flatter the picture as they are diluted by the vast country and bush areas which tend to be less overrun with criminals and lawbreakers.

Good luck everybody but UK is just as pants as Oz. UK is also as great as Oz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.