Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineers need to register at IEAust to be able to work in OZ????

Engineers need to register at IEAust to be able to work in OZ????

Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

georgebittar is on a distinguished road
Default Engineers need to register at IEAust to be able to work in OZ????

Hi all,

Does anybody know if engineers, once in Australia, must be a member of IEAust or whatever to be able to work?

George
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineers need to register at IEAust to be able to work in OZ????

Originally Posted by georgebittar
Hi all,

Does anybody know if engineers, once in Australia, must be a member of IEAust or whatever to be able to work?

George
I'm not sure. Will my membership of the IEE make me automatically eligible for membership of the IEAust, of will I need to apply from scratch?.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm not sure. Will my membership of the IEE make me automatically eligible for membership of the IEAust, of will I need to apply from scratch?.
Engineers do not need to be members of IEAUST for most purposes, however you may find employers asking questions if you are not. Employers may accept the UK CEng designation - or again they may not.

As far as I know IEE membership in itself is not transferable, however if you have a Washington/Sydney Accord accredited qualification you should be able to use this as the basis for an IEA membership application. Otherwise you may need to do a CDR.

You should be looking on the IEAUST website as a primary resource, and also the EC-UK website to see if you have an accredited qualification
http://www.engc.org.uk

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Engineers do not need to be members of IEAUST for most purposes, however you may find employers asking questions if you are not. Employers may accept the UK CEng designation - or again they may not.

As far as I know IEE membership in itself is not transferable, however if you have a Washington/Sydney Accord accredited qualification you should be able to use this as the basis for an IEA membership application. Otherwise you may need to do a CDR.

You should be looking on the IEAUST website as a primary resource, and also the EC-UK website to see if you have an accredited qualification
http://www.engc.org.uk

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy!

George
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Jeremy!

George

Incidentally if you have already done a CDR you may be eligible for IEA membership. Did the letter you received from IEA contain any information on membership?

It's probably a good idea to join IEA if eligible, and to work to get the highest designation possible.

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Incidentally if you have already done a CDR you may be eligible for IEA membership. Did the letter you received from IEA contain any information on membership?

It's probably a good idea to join IEA if eligible, and to work to get the highest designation possible.

Jeremy
Not actually! I've got recognition through CDR, but the letter states:
"I am pleased to advise that the competencies you have demonstrated taken in conjunction with your qualifications from the University XXXX awarded in March YYYY have been assessed as meeting the current academic requirement for standing as Professional Engineer in Australia.

The appropriate occupational classification in you case for migration purposes is Electrical Engineer ASCO 2125-11."

I will contact them about membership and validity of CDR and let you know.

I am already a IEEE member but as you said, it might give me a good advantage becoming IEA member....

George
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:55 pm

Mastermind is on a distinguished road

Not actually! I've got recognition through CDR, but the letter states:
"I am pleased to advise that the competencies you have demonstrated taken in conjunction with your qualifications from the University XXXX awarded in March YYYY have been assessed as meeting the current academic requirement for standing as Professional Engineer in Australia.

The appropriate occupational classification in you case for migration purposes is Electrical Engineer ASCO 2125-11."

I will contact them about membership and validity of CDR and let you know.

I am already a IEEE member but as you said, it might give me a good advantage becoming IEA member....

George

Hi George,

I had the same difficulties. I got a positive CDR skills assessment and I'm an IEEE member.

You can use your CDR assessment for an IEAust membership application but, however, they will only accept you as "Graduate". You need an other IEAust member to validate your CV and to provide a letter of support to gain full MIEAust membership status! As I knew of no IEAust member, they told me to provide a statutory declaration instead.

As you are a professional engineer, I would apply for CPAust grade, which is the highest possible grade. However, you need to be in Australia because you have to attend an interview to obtain this grade.

IEEE members get a 10% discount off the IEAust membership fee but that's all.

I applied two weeks ago and still don't know the outcome of my membership application but I'll keep you informed!

Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:36 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mastermind
Hi George,

I had the same difficulties. I got a positive CDR skills assessment and I'm an IEEE member.

You can use your CDR assessment for an IEAust membership application but, however, they will only accept you as "Graduate". You need an other IEAust member to validate your CV and to provide a letter of support to gain full MIEAust membership status! As I knew of no IEAust member, they told me to provide a statutory declaration instead.

As you are a professional engineer, I would apply for CPAust grade, which is the highest possible grade. However, you need to be in Australia because you have to attend an interview to obtain this grade.

I applied two weeks ago and still don't know the outcome of my membership application but I'll keep you informed!

my hubby applied a year ago and has still heard nowt
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by biggy
my hubby applied a year ago and has still heard nowt
Applied where? To IEA or DIMIA?

If he's 'heard nowt' have you tried to follow things up?

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Applied where? To IEA or DIMIA?

If he's 'heard nowt' have you tried to follow things up?

Jeremy
To IEAust we r already in Aussie , we have followed it up and got a reply from a rather rude woman
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

To IEAust we r already in Aussie , we have followed it up and got a reply from a rather rude woman
IEA are usually quite approachable so what you say surprises me.

In any case it's unacceptable to leave an application unconsidered for a year without a formal response, if the person on the front desk is no help then find out the name of the CEO and work downwards.

Assuming of course you've used the right forms, paid the necessary fee, supplied whatever evidence they ask for etc.

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
IEA are usually quite approachable so what you say surprises me.

In any case it's unacceptable to leave an application unconsidered for a year without a formal response, if the person on the front desk is no help then find out the name of the CEO and work downwards.

Assuming of course you've used the right forms, paid the necessary fee, supplied whatever evidence they ask for etc.

Jeremy
Maybe she was just in a grump that day...lol
We did provide everything, but our credit card was never debited...you dont realise how long its been until somebody brings it up!!!!!
Hubby is an Engineering Technologist and his present job doesnt require the IEAust membership, but I suppose we should look into it again
Cheers for the reply.

IEAust is also on of the fastest to return ur skills assessments
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:27 am
JAJ
Retired

Maybe she was just in a grump that day...lol
We did provide everything, but our credit card was never debited...you dont realise how long its been until somebody brings it up!!!!!
Hubby is an Engineering Technologist and his present job doesnt require the IEAust membership, but I suppose we should look into it again
Cheers for the reply.

IEAust is also on of the fastest to return ur skills assessments
It looks like the application may not have been processed properly if your credit card was not debited.

I suggest you get back to IEA and ask them what's going on - better to do things at your leisure now rather than in an urgency later (eg if your husband's next job requires IEA membership).

Jeremy
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
It looks like the application may not have been processed properly if your credit card was not debited.

I suggest you get back to IEA and ask them what's going on - better to do things at your leisure now rather than in an urgency later (eg if your husband's next job requires IEA membership).

Jeremy

will do

cheers mate
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mastermind
Hi George,

Hi MasterOfMind,

You gave me great information!
I have downloaded some forms and booklets about applying for CPEng and was in doubt if they would accept my CDR and speed things up, once they ask for Career narratives pretty similar to CDR format...

I will email IEAust.. let's see what they say!

thanks you all

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.