Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineers in Australia

Engineers in Australia

Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about
Default Engineers in Australia

Hi there to all
Does anybody out there know why there is such a skills shortage in Australia for fitters and industrial electricians.
I have the need for a few of the above and dont seem to be able to find anyone, :curse:is it because of the mines, or is it because were regional.
Has anyone else come across these problems???
Could anyone recomend where to advertise??
Thanks in advance for any info received.
Darren
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:33 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Engineers in Australia

You could have a look on the skills matching database. A lot of people put their details on their when they're applying for immigration.
http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/index.htm
I don't think it gets used much and I'm not sure how you'd go about contacting them. The good thing is that people are on there will likely have their own visa, you'd just have to wait for them to get it.

To be honest when my husband was looking for jobs (mining engineer) he mostly looked on www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au

Also because he's a mining engineer we frequently checked www.infomine.com as well.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:21 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ollieclaret
Hi there to all
Does anybody out there know why there is such a skills shortage in Australia for fitters and industrial electricians.
I have the need for a few of the above and dont seem to be able to find anyone, :curse:is it because of the mines, or is it because were regional.
Has anyone else come across these problems???
Could anyone recomend where to advertise??
Thanks in advance for any info received.
Darren
I know the story is similar in Newcastle/Hunter. Mines and big infrastructure work would be the main culprit
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about

Thankyou for your replies,
I will try the site recomended.
There must be people out there, when i was in the UK I trawled through the net trying to find work in Australia, the roles have now reversed as I am now trying to find suitable candidates that are coming over.
Thankyou once again
Darren
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You could try this one too:
http://www.miscojobs.com/employers/

We also looked at that site prior to coming over, although we were in the looking for work section. The link I gave you is for employers looking for people. It's worth a shot.