Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineering and working holiday visa

Engineering and working holiday visa

Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

jwest22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering and working holiday visa

Hi, I am a graduate in mechanical engineering and I'm considering going to oz on a working holiday visa, and try to get a job in engineering, I have engineering experience in the UK, but I was wondering what the job situation is like over there for engineers, will I find it hard to get work?, I dont mind where I could work in oz.

Cheers
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:44 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Engineering and working holiday visa

The Job Market is good if you have experience. If you don't you won't be hired Still plenty of Aus Grads who haven't found work yet.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks, what about other jobs, would it difficult getting other types of work, just office work or somthing like that, I have worked as a builder for a few years, could I get some work just on a building site even as just a labourer or something?

Cheers
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jwest22
Ok, thanks, what about other jobs, would it difficult getting other types of work, just office work or somthing like that, I have worked as a builder for a few years, could I get some work just on a building site even as just a labourer or something?

Cheers
I have been working for a building firm for the past 3 months and according to the brickie we use there are around 50 adverts for brickies labourers a week in the paper. I wouldn't worry too much if your willing to do a hard days work. Its 6.30 - 3.30pm they do.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 3:06 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

What is your engineering experience related too? You'll find soem form of work ehre no problems.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

, just office work or somthing like that,
Quotes like this bug the crap out of me. Have you ever worked in an office? Do you have any idea what an office worker does? How would it make you feel if I decided to head to your country and ask if I'm not able to get a job in my career I pick up a job "just doing engineering work or something like that"?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Quotes like this bug the crap out of me. Have you ever worked in an office? Do you have any idea what an office worker does? How would it make you feel if I decided to head to your country and ask if I'm not able to get a job in my career I pick up a job "just doing engineering work or something like that"?
I'd never worked in an office prior to coming out here. But as everyone wants to work in the mines round here, getting into other sectors is fairly easy . Who'd want 50k a year when you can labour and get 95k?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
By office work I mean admin, something entry level, you can't do engineering without experience or a qualification.

Thanks to everyone else's input.

Im happy to do labouring I enjoy hard physical work, I understand I need a white card to do it? I'm probaly going to head to WA so can I take the test in perth, is there anything elese I should be aware of for labouring?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

By office work I mean admin, something entry level, you can't do engineering without experience or a qualification.

Thanks to everyone else's input.

Im happy to do labouring I enjoy hard physical work, I understand I need a white card to do it? I'm probaly going to head to WA so can I take the test in perth, is there anything elese I should be aware of for labouring?
Is a lot of competition for positions. Depending on where you end up could be working in 40c plus temps for long hours everyday. WA has a lot of positions only available to the indigenous population and getting a foot in the door can be difficult. HR license is very much in demand but will cost a lot to obtain. White card is really the minimum you'd need.
Oh and you could be limited by employers who'd be willing to take you on as you can only work for them for 6 months, otherwise you're breaking conditions of visa.

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Oct 10th 2010 at 1:53 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Is a lot of competition for positions. Depending on where you end up could be working in 40c plus temps for long hours everyday. WA has a lot of positions only available to the indigenous population and getting a foot in the door can be difficult. HR license is very much in demand but will cost a lot to obtain. White card is really the minimum you'd need.
Oh and you could be limited by employers who'd be willing to take you on as you can only work for them for 6 months, otherwise you're breaking conditions of visa.
Ok thanks, I would just be looking for contract work to avoid the visa issue. The competion for the positions is that just WA or australia in general?
Ideally I want to get some engineering work, I have heard my best bet is to go to WA, of course if I cant get engineering work, I would take anything just so I have some cash, where do you think I would have the best job prospects for getting some teporary work?

Cheers
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok thanks, I would just be looking for contract work to avoid the visa issue. The competion for the positions is that just WA or australia in general?
Ideally I want to get some engineering work, I have heard my best bet is to go to WA, of course if I cant get engineering work, I would take anything just so I have some cash, where do you think I would have the best job prospects for getting some teporary work?

Cheers
Could land a temp job up in the Pilbara where I live, but expect most or all of your wages to pay for housing as is damn expensive up here. And isn't somewhere an awful lot of people would choose to live, as very very remote & very very hot.
Would suggest you approach a few Perth based companies who do FIFO work all across WA. Ask if they could find something for you, as you're qualified they may have something that would suit? Labouring experience is sought after here & I'd suggest you have a very good resume.

Oh edit, just came into my mind. If you look on Rio Tinto website they do a graduate work thing at certain times of the year, maybe that could be an option? You'd need to apply and see how you get on.

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Oct 11th 2010 at 12:38 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Cheers
What sort of engineering? Are you a degree qualified engineer, a spark or fitter?

No.1 engineering here is mine site design and construction, followed by oil & gas, then buildings and commercial.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Could land a temp job up in the Pilbara where I live, but expect most or all of your wages to pay for housing as is damn expensive up here. And isn't somewhere an awful lot of people would choose to live, as very very remote & very very hot.
Would suggest you approach a few Perth based companies who do FIFO work all across WA. Ask if they could find something for you, as you're qualified they may have something that would suit? Labouring experience is sought after here & I'd suggest you have a very good resume.

Oh edit, just came into my mind. If you look on Rio Tinto website they do a graduate work thing at certain times of the year, maybe that could be an option? You'd need to apply and see how you get on.
Thanks thats very helpful.

I have an engineering degree.