Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineering work on work & travel 12 month visa.

Engineering work on work & travel 12 month visa.

Old Nov 17th 2018, 10:15 am
Just Joined

BigCLittleg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering work on work & travel 12 month visa.

Hello all,

I am a 28yr old male who is looking to go to Australia on the working 12month visa.

I want to fly to cairns do two months going down the east coast, then do my 3 months working outback to earn my 2nd year visa. Once this has been done I would like to go to Melbourne or Sydney and pick up some manufacturing/process engineering work on a decent length contract rather than sporadic office/bar work. I am degree qualified with 10 years experience withing process/manufacturing engineering. Has anybody else done this? Would I be able to pick up work in these sectors? I would also like the possibility of the company sponsoring me to stay even longer with a view to permanent residency, any advice and tips would be great.

Thanks
Jak.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering work on work & travel 12 month visa.

You do understand that you can only work for one employer for a maximum of six months? As a result, most professionals find it hard to obtain work in their field. If PR is your actual intent, then I would recommend you apply for a skills based PR visa.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not strictly true. I came here on a work holiday Visa back in 2012. I picked up a contract in Sydney and then in Brisbane easily for 3 months (software engineer). One of those companies sponsored me on a 457 Visa which I then converted to PR. We now have a house, child and small business.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 9:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2412
Not strictly true. I came here on a work holiday Visa back in 2012. I picked up a contract in Sydney and then in Brisbane easily for 3 months (software engineer). One of those companies sponsored me on a 457 Visa which I then converted to PR. We now have a house, child and small business.
What isn't strictly true?
Noone said it was impossible to go from a WHV to a temp visa and then apply for PR, but it is unusual to be able to do it, and definitely not something that is likely to happen, partly due to the restrictions on how long you can work for an employer.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paul2412
Paul, thank you very much for your reply. Did you get work straight away? I don't mind doing other odd jobs, but would eventually like to get a company to sponsor me. Do you know anything about the opportunities for process/manufacturing engineering roles? As software engineers are highly thought after and more of a commodity than a process engineer role. Did you go through agencies? If so do you have any contacts for these agencies?
Old Nov 18th 2018, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be going out on a whv in April or June and the goal is to get sponsored. I dont imagine it would be difficult to get a job, as I know people who have went out and got jobs within a couple of weeks in my job sector (civil engineering), however, the whole 6 month thing is a pain but it can be looked at as a probationary period for sponsorship I'm thinking
Old Nov 18th 2018, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan
I'll be going out on a whv in April or June and the goal is to get sponsored. I dont imagine it would be difficult to get a job, as I know people who have went out and got jobs within a couple of weeks in my job sector (civil engineering), however, the whole 6 month thing is a pain but it can be looked at as a probationary period for sponsorship I'm thinking
What is your plan? Go straight to your city of choice and look for work or travel a bit then settle somewhere you like? Because I'm thinking about doing the 3 months that should give me 18 months when I get to Sydney/Melbourne to look for engineering work. Hopefully this will make me more employable, I've heard there are ways around the 6 month rule, like a rolling contract. Have you heard anything on this? Also good luck with the move mate hope it all goes well for you.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 6:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigCLittleg
What is your plan? Go straight to your city of choice and look for work or travel a bit then settle somewhere you like? Because I'm thinking about doing the 3 months that should give me 18 months when I get to Sydney/Melbourne to look for engineering work. Hopefully this will make me more employable, I've heard there are ways around the 6 month rule, like a rolling contract. Have you heard anything on this? Also good luck with the move mate hope it all goes well for you.
There are no "ways around" the rules. This is Aussie Immigration and they do't deal in loopholes! The rule is that you need to change employer, so just starting a new contract wont cut it, sorry.
Remember that now all employers are eligibleto sponsor, and even if they are it can take several months to get them aproved, before you even start on your own visa application.
Not trying to be negative, as the plan is do-able, but you need to be realistic, and it is getting increasingly hard to get an employer to sponsor.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by J___Mcewan
Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are no "ways around" the rules. This is Aussie Immigration and they do't deal in loopholes! The rule is that you need to change employer, so just starting a new contract wont cut it, sorry.
Remember that now all employers are eligibleto sponsor, and even if they are it can take several months to get them aproved, before you even start on your own visa application.
Not trying to be negative, as the plan is do-able, but you need to be realistic, and it is getting increasingly hard to get an employer to sponsor.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Thank you for you're reply Pollyanna, sometimes you just have to try. If it doesn't work Ill come back to England and get a job back over here. If people never tried, but thank you for your feedback.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Still need to do a bit of research in terms of where the civils works are booming, I'm thinking perth but I think sydney or melbourne would be the wise choice. You could apply for a 189 or 190 when you are out there on the whv if sponsorship is looking unlikely if you have the points. Thats why I'm thinking to go out in june because by then I will be eligble for a 190 visa. I dont know anything about the ways around the 6 month rule, but if you put in the graft then why would an employer not want to keep you.

I only applied for the whv the other day so I still have a lot of planning to do lol.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for you're reply Pollyanna, sometimes you just have to try. If it doesn't work Ill come back to England and get a job back over here. If people never tried, but thank you for your feedback.
Agreed, all you can do is try. If you aim for gaining a position with a bigger company who is an approved sponsor then it wont take long to gain sponsorship. This can all be discussed with the employer anyway at the early stages, even if u go to a recruiter, let them know that your goal is to get sponsored and they will seek out positions that can achieve that.

Pollyana will probaly know more than me, but thats what I'm thinking

Last edited by old.sparkles; Nov 22nd 2018 at 11:33 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 20th 2018, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

It is clearly very possible to go onto a sponsored visa from a WHV. My neighbour informed me only two days ago, that his brother in law and sister, both here not more than ten months, that the BIL, has been sponsored by a company, without really trying, now living in Sydney. They not long ago completed their farm stint, down in the south of WA, he is in renewables, looks like PR is in the offering.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 2:36 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It is clearly very possible to go onto a sponsored visa from a WHV. My neighbour informed me only two days ago, that his brother in law and sister, both here not more than ten months, that the BIL, has been sponsored by a company, without really trying, now living in Sydney. They not long ago completed their farm stint, down in the south of WA, he is in renewables, looks like PR is in the offering.
it is possible, we aren't saying otherwise, but its only possible if you and the sponsor meet the requirements for sponsosship, and then in turn for PR.
Its not as simple as some people think - some do arrive thinking they can just ask a random company for sponsorship and then stay forever. There are a considerable amount of hops to jump through en route.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
it is possible, we aren't saying otherwise, but its only possible if you and the sponsor meet the requirements for sponsosship, and then in turn for PR.
Its not as simple as some people think - some do arrive thinking they can just ask a random company for sponsorship and then stay forever. There are a considerable amount of hops to jump through en route.
I'm not sure how 'easy some think it is' , but I have known a few now that have indeed achieved it and didn't find the process daunting. I would like to see the number of WHV's whom have gone onto PR after sponsorship. I imagine quite a considerable number. Same as moving from education visa's to PR. Rather considerable.
Definitely a considerable number of WHV's had the expectation of remaining, no doubt an over confident assumption of some, but others sailed in. But regardless, the competition by WHV's on Australia's youth must be considerable. The six month work rule, certainly wasn't applied in all work places.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 7:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I'm not sure how 'easy some think it is' , but I have known a few now that have indeed achieved it and didn't find the process daunting. I would like to see the number of WHV's whom have gone onto PR after sponsorship. I imagine quite a considerable number. Same as moving from education visa's to PR. Rather considerable.
Definitely a considerable number of WHV's had the expectation of remaining, no doubt an over confident assumption of some, but others sailed in. But regardless, the competition by WHV's on Australia's youth must be considerable. The six month work rule, certainly wasn't applied in all work places.
Maybe in the past but immigration rules have changed significantly.

And it's "who" not "whom". The pronoun you are looking for is "who".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.