Reload this Page >

Endownment! what to do with it

Endownment! what to do with it

Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

cul8rm8e will become famous soon enoughcul8rm8e will become famous soon enough
Default Endownment! what to do with it

Anyone out there in same positon?

Ok, I have a 25 year endownment policy which has been running now for 13 years, I am in two minds as to whether i should surrender or not it if all goes well with the move

My policy holder has advised me that i can continue payments as long as they are being made from a UK bank account this wouldnt be a problem (wont accept an Au account)

If i were to keep payments going from UK for the full term and use it as a savings, what would be the implications at the end of its term regarding TAX

I would like to keep this going and put this towards Mortgage

Anyone out there been in the same position?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:30 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Endownment! what to do with it

Originally Posted by cul8rm8e

Ok, I have a 25 year endownment policy which has been running now for 13 years, I am in two minds as to whether i should surrender or not it if all goes well with the move

My policy holder has advised me that i can continue payments as long as they are being made from a UK bank account this wouldnt be a problem (wont accept an Au account)

If i were to keep payments going from UK for the full term and use it as a savings, what would be the implications at the end of its term regarding TAX

I am in a similar position, deciding whether to cash it in now or not. I went to a couple of those companies that offer to buy the endowment off of you and they were'nt interested. This makes me think its sh*te so may just cash it in anyway.

I did ask for a statement of how much I would get now but as we moved (and I did update the address details) they have not got back to me. So thanks for reminding me too! I will get on to them this week and see what its worth.

Its been running since 1993 and a friend said the other day that they were advised to never give up on them. Even though they are performing cr@p at the moment...........anything can happen. I suppose as I dont really miss the money then I could just let it carry on.

I will have to think on this one, unless there any financial advisors out there with any good advice!

R.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Endownment! what to do with it

Originally Posted by cul8rm8e

we're in the same position, about 11 years left!!

it's only £36.00 a month so we're just going to keep paying and hope for the best

those companies don't pay much more than the surrender value
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:58 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
I am in a similar position, deciding whether to cash it in now or not. I went to a couple of those companies that offer to buy the endowment off of you and they were'nt interested. This makes me think its sh*te so may just cash it in anyway.

I did ask for a statement of how much I would get now but as we moved (and I did update the address details) they have not got back to me. So thanks for reminding me too! I will get on to them this week and see what its worth.

Its been running since 1993 and a friend said the other day that they were advised to never give up on them. Even though they are performing cr@p at the moment...........anything can happen. I suppose as I dont really miss the money then I could just let it carry on.

I will have to think on this one, unless there any financial advisors out there with any good advice!

R.
I went through this last year with my pathetically underperforming mortgage endowment policy. It was costing far too much to maintain, and I got an illustration from the company, and just about got back what I had paid in, so nothing lost.

It does become a tax burden if you move to Oz, as the ATO will tax it on its growth, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) as a capital gains tax event when it matures. I took financial advice with mine and it didn't take very long to realise that it was going to loose money in the long run. I think that I would have needed a massive growth in the 20% region to have made any kind of real profit, so I sold it on.

That's not advice, just what happened to me.

S
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I went through this last year with my pathetically underperforming mortgage endowment policy. It was costing far too much to maintain, and I got an illustration from the company, and just about got back what I had paid in, so nothing lost.

It does become a tax burden if you move to Oz, as the ATO will tax it on its growth, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) as a capital gains tax event when it matures. I took financial advice with mine and it didn't take very long to realise that it was going to loose money in the long run. I think that I would have needed a massive growth in the 20% region to have made any kind of real profit, so I sold it on.

S
You will be taxed annually on any growth.

Take proper advice

G
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:50 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We also have endowments, 2 of them, 1 has been running since 86, the other 89. We have explored both options and are going to cash them in because we feel it is the better option.

If we leave them going we have top make sure that there is enough money in a uk bank account each month to pay for them. We also get stung for tax when they mature.

If we take them with us, as they are pretty near the end (it will be 5 and 8 years away from maturity) we won't be losing that much because they have been performing quite badly really. Then we have the extra buffer in case hubby doesn't get a job as quick as he would like to.

They have served us well I suppose in that our repayment mortgage here is quite a small amount, but then our loan amount is quite small too.

If you feel you need some proper financial advice, from a financial advisor, you can find some on the net and most will give you the first appointment free.

Shirley
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
HI we had two endowment policy's one matured last month luckily paid out a little bit more than we expected the other one matures in ten years we did ask one of the company's that buy them but they couldn't match the surrender value and when we rang the insurance company she told us not to sell it just yet as standard life are demutualising next year so we will keep it till we get the shares then sell Janet